Louisville Record To Date | The Boneyard

Louisville Record To Date

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
They’re not too bad either...

FA2248A7-425E-432E-B6D5-99B0282D44A4.jpeg

Reaction Score
Here's what strikes me in looking at their schedule and their record, results and performance.
The one very big and impressive game was their romp over Notre Dame. That's only truly impressive game!
On the other hand here are the other significant games, starting from the beginning of the season. They beat Ohio State by six in overtime; they beat Oregon by 13 on their own home court; South Dakota State by FOUR; Air Force by 12; Georgia Tech by three; NC State by Eight: Duke by six; Virginia Tech by nine; (then the ND huge win); the one point loss to Florida State where they scored 49 points; Miami by ten; and Syracuse by 13.
Based upon these repeated bare wins against significantly inferior competition, how are they going to do what their coach, Jeff Walz said in another thread. Hold us down and score enough to win???
Seems to me it will take a phenomenal effort on their part, their two main players to both be in their "zones", an off night but at least three of our top six; or foul trouble or an injury!
I seriously doubt most of that will happen! I see an 18-25 point win.
I hope KLS goes off scoring 25-30 making it clear (er) she deserves to be NPOY!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Here's what strikes me in looking at their schedule and their record, results and performance.
The one very big and impressive game was their romp over Notre Dame. That's only truly impressive game!
On the other hand here are the other significant games, starting from the beginning of the season. They beat Ohio State by six in overtime; they beat Oregon by 13 on their own home court; South Dakota State by FOUR; Air Force by 12; Georgia Tech by three; NC State by Eight: Duke by six; Virginia Tech by nine; (then the ND huge win); the one point loss to Florida State where they scored 49 points; Miami by ten; and Syracuse by 13.
Based upon these repeated bare wins against significantly inferior competition, how are they going to do what their coach, Jeff Walz said in another thread. Hold us down and score enough to win???
Seems to me it will take a phenomenal effort on their part, their two main players to both be in their "zones", an off night but at least three of our top six; or foul trouble or an injury!
Bronx23

Hey Bronx - I was born in Brooklyn and you hit the nail on the head with all the close wins against so-so teams. Looking at their stats they have 11 players and 7 are frosh or sophs. The Cards only have 2 players in double figures. Durr only has 49 assists and 40 something turnovers. Their starting line-up has only 2-- 6 footers. 6"3 being the tallest starter. Looking at their over-all schedule it looks very light on the big time teams.
Another poster mentioned Geno's strength in defending specific teams. That is, if the offense comes out of one or two players (like Louisville) UConn's team defense usually slows them down.
Could be a tag team of Gabby, Kia & Danger on Durr. Gabby could slide over and help Pheese on Hines-Allen. Louisville's other 3 starters are solid, but not scary. I don't see a very close game.

Reaction Score
Bronx23
Another way of reading their record is that they play both up to and down to opponents. If that is true, we are in for a dogfight (bird fight?). I still think we win handily, based on matchups, superior defense, superior conditioning and home court advantage, but I'm dubious about how much we can infer from the Cards' season to date.

Reaction Score
Hey Bronx - I was born in Brooklyn and you hit the nail on the head with all the close wins against so-so teams. Looking at their stats they have 11 players and 7 are frosh or sophs. The Cards only have 2 players in double figures. Durr only has 49 assists and 40 something turnovers. Their starting line-up has only 2-- 6 footers. 6"3 being the tallest starter. Looking at their over-all schedule it looks very light on the big time teams.
Another poster mentioned Geno's strength in defending specific teams. That is, if the offense comes out of one or two players (like Louisville) UConn's team defense usually slows them down.
Could be a tag team of Gabby, Kia & Danger on Durr. Gabby could slide over and help Pheese on Hines-Allen. Louisville's other 3 starters are solid, but not scary. I don't see a very close game.
Hi phillycoach!
I did sort of the opposite. Grew up in the Brinx a few blocks from Yankee Stadium during the Mantle/Maris era, the football Giants played there and then the amazing Knicks teams, which is what brought my love of the U Conns women's bb team!
Got married and moved to Williamsburg(where my wife is from) long before it was hip and cool.
I think you're right about them handling Louisvilles top two players.
Expect a comfortable win!
Bronx23

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Hey Brooklyn and Bronx- I was raised in Queens. Nothing worthwhile to add, just remembering.......................

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
A couple of points: Louisville has the #9 ranks SOS as they have played 6 ranked teams, we will be the 7th. So stop denigrating their opposition, we too have had a “few clunkers” over the past two weeks, and just like Louisville, we won even if we played down to the competition. Their competition was not “light”. 2. We are not a good matchup for them as we are bigger, more athletic and with more scorers. They will need to shoot as well as they did against ND to hang with us. As we will be at home even if Louisville plays great, they will struggle against us defensively and especially against Z.

I just hope both teams play their “A” games. Massey has 79-66 UConn. I will take the over on points and an 18-22 spread.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
They spent the first half of December hosting practically everybody from Tennessee except, um, Tennessee.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I can't wait to see what happens. I feel like we haven't played L'Ville in a while. Should be nostalgic. Seems like if we keep MHA and Durr in check I can't really see how we would lose. We have 6 that avg double figures they have 2. Seems like simple math there but ya never know til they roll the ball out there what you are going to get. I would however expect UConn to be UConn and that equates to a win roughly 99.999998% of the time.

**** Side note **** I love the fact that our attendence numbers are up like 2k fans a game this season!!! Keep it up :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't have any doubts about the outcome. Still, I would suggest that they are, indeed, good.

It's just a fact that good doesn't stop you guys.

Reaction Score
The old Big East teams just dominate the ACC dont they!
Neither L’ville or nd were “old” members of the Big East, they both were Johnny-come-lately to an established league.

Reaction Score
They have more than a few games where they've given up a lot of points to middling teams. Doesn't bode well for the Cardinals coming into Storrs.

Reaction Score
Hey Brooklyn and Bronx- I was raised in Queens. Nothing worthwhile to add, just remembering........
Ironically I grew up in Bronx as I said earlier moved to Brooklyn when married and in Rego Park Queens for last almost forty years. Lifelong NYer.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
A couple of points: Louisville has the #9 ranks SOS as they have played 6 ranked teams, we will be the 7th. So stop denigrating their opposition, we too have had a “few clunkers” over the past two weeks, and just like Louisville, we won even if we played down to the competition. Their competition was not “light”. 2. We are not a good matchup for them as we are bigger, more athletic and with more scorers. They will need to shoot as well as they did against ND to hang with us. As we will be at home even if Louisville plays great, they will struggle against us defensively and especially against Z.

I just hope both teams play their “A” games. Massey has 79-66 UConn. I will take the over on points and an 18-22 spread.
Really like your comments. Agree to with your prediction!
Only possible disagreement is that both teams bring their A game. This happens very rarely as for example our A game surely entails stifling pressure defense, great ball movement and really good shooting. If we do those things, they won't be playing their A game. If we don't then we won't be playing ours.
I do though hope for a competitive game at least into the half or third quarter.
Bronx23

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
My prediction is that Geno will use a 3-2 zone against Louisville, designed to stop Durr in the same way that he used it a few years ago against Kelsey Mitchell of Ohio State. In practice, it means two on the ball when either Louiville guard has the ball, making penetration nearly impossible and passing into the post difficult. They will allow passes into the corners since the Louisville forwards can't hurt them from there.

The final score of the OSU game where this was done was something like 93-53.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom