Louisville is exactly what the ACC needed (Tallahassee Democrat) | The Boneyard

Louisville is exactly what the ACC needed (Tallahassee Democrat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gag/puke

Clark: Louisville is exactly what the ACC needed

>> But then there’s Louisville. Wonderful, wonderful Louisville. A program that cares about the sport. A program with a large and energetic fanbase. A program that is willing to re-hire a coach with a sordid, ugly past because it knows he can win football games. A program that is willing to take kicked-off players from other big-time programs because it knows they can help win football games, too.

This might read like I’m being sarcastic. I’m not. Louisville is doing exactly what it has to do to try to become a big-time football program itself. That should be applauded. Even if the means aren’t exactly ideal (that Petrino neck-brace picture will be on the internet for the rest of time) they are justified when you’re ranked No. 10 in the country.

Because, in the end, college football is about one thing: Winning. High character and grade-point averages are nice. Sure. But the only thing fans and administrators truly care about is whether you have more points on the scoreboard than the other team. That’s it.<<

04.jpg

Reaction Score
It's all good unless you have a coach didling kids or players committing sex assaults.

The writer is not wrong. MANY Baylor fans viewed Art Briles as the victim of the scandal down there.

Louisville is in the ACC in part for their willingness to look the other way.

Reaction Score
"Because, in the end, college football is about one thing: Winning. High character and grade-point averages are nice. Sure. But the only thing fans and administrators truly care about is whether you have more points on the scoreboard than the other team. That’s it"

A perfectly tidy statement of everything that's gone wrong with college sports. The college brand name has dissasscoiated with its core educational mission and reputation. Whereas the Ivy league became associated with academic superiority, you have folks like Harbaugh, Briles, Petrino and the like turning these schools into entertainment circuses.

Reaction Score
...they should be happy.

lol
They actually are. They are glad UL solidifies the conference. UH has UL at home. Hopefully, we can beat UH before that, but if not, should be a popular game to watch.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
"Because, in the end, college football is about one thing: Winning. High character and grade-point averages are nice. Sure. But the only thing fans and administrators truly care about is whether you have more points on the scoreboard than the other team. That’s it"

A perfectly tidy statement of everything that's gone wrong with college sports. The college brand name has dissasscoiated with its core educational mission and reputation. Whereas the Ivy league became associated with academic superiority, you have folks like Harbaugh, Briles, Petrino and the like turning these schools into entertainment circuses.

How is Harbaugh lumped in with Briles and Petrino? Because he posts things on Twitter and runs summer camps? Harbaugh has kicked kids off of his team that have screwed up, suspended star players for minor rule infractions and demanded high character from his players. Everything he does has a purpose, and that purpose is using his name to recruit.

Harbaugh has a name and he uses it to recruit. Petrino has a name and he uses/used it to bone his twenty something secretary. Briles used his name to allow rape to happen at its school. Don't see the connection

Reaction Score

You can't even put Harbaugh in the same company as those other 2 clowns! Like @dayooper said he may be outspoken BUT he is far and away above those 2 it's not even funny!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
All of the p1ss poor academic rankings and hooker/blow stories are swept under the rug when you blow out the once-again overrated Criminoles by 1,000 points on national TV. That is exactly what the football schools like FSU/Clemson wanted - to add a school with football cache and ability enough to knock them out of Playoff consideration.

In today's college sports, there is football and then there is everything else. Yesterday, Louisville delivered what they promised when they were invited - that they can play with and beat teams like FSU/Clemson.

Reaction Score
All of the p1ss poor academic rankings and hooker/blow stories are swept under the rug when you blow out the once-again overrated Criminoles by 1,000 points on national TV. That is exactly what the football schools like FSU/Clemson wanted - to add a school with football cache and ability enough to knock them out of Playoff consideration.

In today's college sports, there is football and then there is everything else. Yesterday, Louisville delivered what they promised when they were invited - that they can play with and beat teams like FSU/Clemson.

So, in the end, what have we learned?

In recruiting, Free Bimbos > Free Shoes, QED.

Reaction Score
Gag/puke

Clark: Louisville is exactly what the ACC needed

>> But then there’s Louisville. Wonderful, wonderful Louisville. A program that cares about the sport. A program with a large and energetic fanbase. A program that is willing to re-hire a coach with a sordid, ugly past because it knows he can win football games. A program that is willing to take kicked-off players from other big-time programs because it knows they can help win football games, too.

This might read like I’m being sarcastic. I’m not. Louisville is doing exactly what it has to do to try to become a big-time football program itself. That should be applauded. Even if the means aren’t exactly ideal (that Petrino neck-brace picture will be on the internet for the rest of time) they are justified when you’re ranked No. 10 in the country.

Because, in the end, college football is about one thing: Winning. High character and grade-point averages are nice. Sure. But the only thing fans and administrators truly care about is whether you have more points on the scoreboard than the other team. That’s it.<<

View attachment 15581

They would have been pleased with the University of Connecticut at the moment they chose as well. WE would have lifted their Profile in the Northeast - largely because of MBB & WBB - and they have not got that from either BC or Cuse. Our Football Program - I'd argue - has a far higher ceiling than those Private Zipcode schools & not taking us will ultimately prove a mistake over a 20 year arc as I believe both Cuse & BC can sink to dreadful lows. Louisville? I am glad they are happy. But fully 110 colleges would not be keeping Pitino or Petrino around campus of the 129 FBS schools. That's the fact that the newsprint guy ignores. Ethics and Sex - come and get it.

Reaction Score
How is Harbaugh lumped in with Briles and Petrino? Because he posts things on Twitter and runs summer camps? Harbaugh has kicked kids off of his team that have screwed up, suspended star players for minor rule infractions and demanded high character from his players. Everything he does has a purpose, and that purpose is using his name to recruit.

Harbaugh has a name and he uses it to recruit. Petrino has a name and he uses/used it to bone his twenty something secretary. Briles used his name to allow rape to happen at its school. Don't see the connection
Sliding scale of sleaze. Harbaugh's public communications escapades are unbecoming of a serious educational institution. His required spring break camps for his players shows he doesn't respect the kids as student athletes. He pushes the limits and sets a bad example for athletes in comportment and priorities. These are colleges not professional football teams.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
They're in the ACC and UConn isn't. That's all I see. Brutal as it is.

Reaction Score
But fully 110 colleges would not be keeping Pitino or Petrino around campus of the 129 FBS schools. That's the fact that the newsprint guy ignores. Ethics and Sex - come and get it.

Guess the guy from the Tallahassee newspaper also just voted for the 2017NFL Hall of Fame class. Afterall, if performance is the only thing that matters, then what's the issue with nominating Sharper outside that he is spending the next 18 year is jail for r@ping for 3 women and maybe prosecuted for 9 other cases.

Serial Rapist Darren Sharper Nominated For Pro Football Hall Of Fame | Huffington Post

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Sliding scale of sleaze. Harbaugh's public communications escapades are unbecoming of a serious educational institution. His required spring break camps for his players shows he doesn't respect the kids as student athletes. He pushes the limits and sets a bad example for athletes in comportment and priorities. These are colleges not professional football teams.

I am going to disagree with you completely on the spring break issue. The student athletes got a free trip to Florida where they did vacation type things while staying at one hell of an athletic facility. They got almost half of their 15 spring practices done while in Florida giving more time for their studies. As a former college student athlete, that would have been great! It shows more respect for the academic side of college than giving your players the opportunity to get wasted in the normal spring break locations. I never went anywhere except for home during my playing years and the idea of getting a free trip to Florida would have been well received by myself and my team mates.

While I understand someone not liking what Harbaugh does on social media, he really isn't that offensive. Sometimes he goes a little too far for me. You know what do I find offensive? Let me tell you:

1. Brian Kelly sending an unpaid student manager up to the top of a scaffolding to film his practice during a windstorm that produced winds of 60 mph or higher. That student was blown off the scaffolding and died.

2. Brian Kelly and the University of Notre Dame allowing their football players intimidate a young woman who accused one of his players of rape. She later committed suicide. Even if there was question in the case, the players should have been told and punishments should have been levied to those players who interfered.

3. Hugh Freeze and Ole Miss throwing cash at players. Pictures of recruits leaving Ole Miss flashing wads of $100 bills. So egarious was Ole Miss that their own conference turned them in.

4. Urban Meyer allowing Aaron Hernandez free rein while at Florida.

5. Urban Meyer having an assistant coach recruit a player with the belief that he was going to actually be coached by that position coach. As soon as the player signs his LOI, the coach resigns to take an NFL position. Urban Meyer knew full well that he was leaving.

This isn't even mentioning any of the major news stories that have been around lately. Harbaugh may use his notoriety to his advantage and that may get a little tiresome. I understanding not liking him and if he were a rival coach, I probably wouldn't like him either. But to call him sleazy when there are so many sleazier things going on in the world of college athletics is a little disingenuous in my opinion.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I am going to disagree with you completely on the spring break issue. The student athletes got a free trip to Florida where they did vacation type things while staying at one hell of an athletic facility. They got almost half of their 15 spring practices done while in Florida giving more time for their studies. As a former college student athlete, that would have been great! It shows more respect for the academic side of college than giving your players the opportunity to get wasted in the normal spring break locations. I never went anywhere except for home during my playing years and the idea of getting a free trip to Florida would have been well received by myself and my team mates.

While I understand someone not liking what Harbaugh does on social media, he really isn't that offensive. Sometimes he goes a little too far for me. You know what do I find offensive? Let me tell you:

1. Brian Kelly sending an unpaid student manager up to the top of a scaffolding to film his practice during a windstorm that produced winds of 60 mph or higher. That student was blown off the scaffolding and died.

2. Brian Kelly and the University of Notre Dame allowing their football players intimidate a young woman who accused one of his players of rape. She later committed suicide. Even if there was question in the case, the players should have been told and punishments should have been levied to those players who interfered.

3. Hugh Freeze and Ole Miss throwing cash at players. Pictures of recruits leaving Ole Miss flashing wads of $100 bills. So egarious was Ole Miss that their own conference turned them in.

4. Urban Meyer allowing Aaron Hernandez free rein while at Florida.

5. Urban Meyer having an assistant coach recruit a player with the belief that he was going to actually be coached by that position coach. As soon as the player signs his LOI, the coach resigns to take an NFL position. Urban Meyer knew full well that he was leaving.

This isn't even mentioning any of the major news stories that have been around lately. Harbaugh may use his notoriety to his advantage and that may get a little tiresome. I understanding not liking him and if he were a rival coach, I probably wouldn't like him either. But to call him sleazy when there are so many sleazier things going on in the world of college athletics is a little disingenuous in my opinion.

And they wonder why the players want to unionize... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69