Louisville could potentially lose accreditation

Discussion in 'Conference Realignment Board' started by Storrs South, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Storrs South

Storrs South

2. FDNY99

FDNY99

This has been mentioned before and was brushed off by UL fans. Seems to me that the Kentucky legislature isn't messing around anymore. The Yum Center bonding deal has something to do with this.

Who Ha likes this.
  3. Seaa Blue

Seaa Blue

I was following the Yum! Center finances for a while, but gave up.
    Google turned up this, dated Oct 19, 2016.

Official: Yum! Center faces bankruptcy

Say what now?

4. FDNY99

FDNY99

The main issue was that when UK wanted to do renovations to Freedom Hall and use RDA type bonding it wasn't available because the State Legislature had put a hold on issuing them after this debacle. For all the good things Jurich has done..he has some extremely questionable things attached to his name...of which any one could sink his battle ship. This is the biggest one.

Who Ha likes this.
  5. Who Ha

Who Ha

Billy Bud?

buddy likes this.
  6. Seaa Blue

Seaa Blue

7. billybud

billybud

I know, I know...someone flashed the Billybud signal into the night sky....

Don't know much about Louisville and Kentucky politics...Do know about accreditation in general.

The big stick is often held in a threatening manner...(much like some of the federal non compliance issues and threats of defunding) .....and is seldom actually wielded against a major institution. The threat is usually nuclear enough for the state/institution to bring things in line. And the last thing that the regional accreditation agency wants to do is to actually remove accreditation so they work with the state/institution.

Since 200o..18 institutions have lost accreditation by the six regional accreditation agencies...and you have probably never heard of them...schools like Paul Quinn College, Si Tanka University, Sojourner-Douglas College, etc.

I would bet on a practical outcome with no loss of accreditation....that has been my experience in representing the state in several such instances of being found in non conformity with guidelines or federal law.

Now..if the Kentucky legislators are seriously brain dead, and in the "go to hell, you can't tell us what to do" mood...that bet is off.

But I have yet to see it go that far.

vowelguy likes this.
  8. husky210

husky210

As much as I would bask in glory if this were to happen.... I put the chances of this happening at when hell freezes over.

9. billybud

billybud

I have had to testify before the Florida legislature and point out the possible consequences if a bill/amendment was passed into law.

There was a bill that was passed by the Republican legislature, despite my testimony, under Jeb Busch's term. And that law was not in conformity with the federal requirements for funding.

The state was then given the opportunity to make it right...to not implement the offending language and to amend it in the next session. And that was how the possible sanction was avoided.

The Kentucky folks really don't want to be playing chicken with an accreditation agency....there is too much to lose

10. FDNY99

FDNY99

At the end of the day @billybud I'm sure the majority of the Kentucky legislature could care less about what happened to UL. Jurich hasn't made any friends with the Yum Center deal and when that deal prevented renovation work done on Freedom Hall using Redevelopment Authority Bonds the bell started tolling. This isn't a joke anymore. If they lose accreditation and can't compete in NCAA sanctioned athletics...the ACC has to throw them out. The time for them to be playing chicken just ended with the passing of this resolution.

11. SAMCRO

SAMCRO

I'd love it if the walls came tumbling down all over UL and their shady AD, but at the end of all this they will not lose accreditation. Before that happens they will be given a list of "must do's" by the state (they probably already have it), and they will comply with each one of them to maintain status. Their AD budget may take a hit, there will be some terminations as a result, but they will comply and still be in the ACC.

HuskyinWRNY likes this.
  12. FDNY99

FDNY99

Like I said...the time to play chicken in this game is over for them. It also shows them that when push come to shove UK will win EVERY time at the state government level. It would be nice to see UL and Jurich be forced to pay the true value they owe for the Yum Center instead of sticking it to the local residents on those bonds.

13. The Funster

The Funster Purveyor of fine bullspit

This goes beyond athletics. A lot of taxpayers (or future taxpayers) diplomas would become worthless. OK, maybe they're already worthless, but you know what I mean...

Jimbo, shizzle787, Penfield and 8 others like this.
  14. FDNY99

FDNY99

Yup...and a lot of taxpayers are on the hook for HUGE $$ when the Yum Center bonds get called. This is a culmination of a number of things that filled up the proverbial s**t bucket. It never emptied...just kept filling over time. Now it's time to pay the piper as they say...and if I was UL I wouldn't blink anymore..or it's over.

15. CTGoonie

CTGoonie

Is Jeb Busch just a typo or some sort of Florida political joke?

16. Dream Jobbed 2.0

Dream Jobbed 2.0 Formerly DiacosArmy

Watch. If UL does lose accreditation and the NCAA kicks them out (unlikely), that will be the moment that the P5 finally breaks away from the NCAA.

17. Seaa Blue

Seaa Blue

UNC operatives will block the disaccreditation move. Hits too close to home.

uconnfan68, jfuchs91 and mrhandyman like this.
  18. Fairfield_1st

Fairfield_1st Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool

So should UConn plan on losing scholarships now or wait until UL loses accreditation and see what gets handed down to us?

19. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

This will happen when St. Johns' players actually pay their Louisville prostitutes.

20. billybud

billybud

LOL...Beer...I left Florida and headed to the mountains... my fingers sometimes get confused and type of their own will it seems...yes, Jeb was a sort of political joke to some....particularly some of his privatization moves.

But he was an ideologist..he believed in what he believed in.

CTGoonie likes this.
  21. wethyhusky

wethyhusky

Here's how this shakes out. Uconn is banned from future NCAA tournaments, Louisville is given accreditation and lauded for providing employment for prostitutes, and North Carolina is credited with providing the best preschool education for all tarheel athletes.

22. billybud

billybud

We all know that Louisville will not lose their accreditation...the only schools that have lost that credential were parctically closing their doors.

The state (legislature, governor) will do what it takes....otherwise, it would be Louisville locking their doors and closing down...and that will not happen.

23. CL82

CL82 It's going to be ok - calm down and enjoy the ride

[​IMG]
    Conspiracy Kitty says:
    Do we know that? Do we really?

24. billybud

billybud

I think that we do, Ms. Kitty.

As sure as we knew that the delegates were not going to overthrow the electoral votes won in the election. Oh yes, such happenings are delicious to think about, have daydreams about, blog about,,,but, in our heart of hearts, we all know that it is doodling.

25. Seaa Blue

Seaa Blue

Jurich threatens to leave Yum! Center and build on-campus arena due to 'criminal' rhetoric - Insider Louisville

Jurich, playing the victim...

Jurich, doing his best 'Woe is me'

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  26. FDNY99

FDNY99

uconnfan68 likes this.
  27. TRest

TRest Horrible

Jurich is an asshat. Go ahead and try to replicate that place on campus, good luck with the record profits the AD has been spouting for the last couple of years. Ask little Ricky if he wants to pull out of the Yum Center.

CL82 and FDNY99 like this.
  28. Hoophound

Hoophound

Jurich takes advantage of everything he can and with that, UL climbs the ladder. UConn can learn a thing or two from him.

This arena thing was going to explode eventually and he seems prepared to deal with it. They'll stay at Yum and pay more to use it but they'll still get an incredible deal in the end. He is setting the tone already. He even takes jabs at the homicide rate in the area to diminish the arena's value. The guy gets in the mud when he has to and is prepared to deal with any backlash.

The most interesting thing in all of it is the power he has. Our AD wouldn't have much to do with this type of thing. It would be Herbst for sure. Jurich talks like he owns the place and it appears he does based on recent events.

29. FDNY99

FDNY99

The written deal they have gives them first shot at purchasing the Yum Center for pennies on the dollar when the bonds are defaulted on.

uconnfan68 and CL82 like this.
  30. The Funster

The Funster Purveyor of fine bullspit

Jurich to city of Louisville, "You f ed up...you trusted us!"