Louisville could potentially lose accreditation | The Boneyard

Louisville could potentially lose accreditation

Reaction Score
This has been mentioned before and was brushed off by UL fans. Seems to me that the Kentucky legislature isn't messing around anymore. The Yum Center bonding deal has something to do with this.

Reaction Score
I was following the Yum! Center finances for a while, but gave up.
Google turned up this, dated Oct 19, 2016.

Official: Yum! Center faces bankruptcy

"The University of Louisville makes $20 million a year on events," Frankenberger told the committee. "It's a taxpayer scam."

Kenny Klein, athletic spokesman for UofL, said Wednesday he was not familiar with "the essence" of the lease the athletic department has with the Yum! Center. He declined to comment on Frankenberger's comments that the arena could go bankrupt as soon as June.

Say what now?
Miller said the Yum! Center's status is hindering efforts to bring the NBA to Louisville. Miller said pro-NBA groups are considering a renovation of Freedom Hall and that there are investors in Louisville who could pour up to $250 million into such a project.

Reaction Score
I was following the Yum! Center finances for a while, but gave up.
Google turned up this, dated Oct 19, 2016.

Official: Yum! Center faces bankruptcy

Say what now?
The main issue was that when UK wanted to do renovations to Freedom Hall and use RDA type bonding it wasn't available because the State Legislature had put a hold on issuing them after this debacle. For all the good things Jurich has done..he has some extremely questionable things attached to his name...of which any one could sink his battle ship. This is the biggest one.

Reaction Score
I know, I know...someone flashed the Billybud signal into the night sky....

Don't know much about Louisville and Kentucky politics...Do know about accreditation in general.

The big stick is often held in a threatening manner...(much like some of the federal non compliance issues and threats of defunding) .....and is seldom actually wielded against a major institution. The threat is usually nuclear enough for the state/institution to bring things in line. And the last thing that the regional accreditation agency wants to do is to actually remove accreditation so they work with the state/institution.

Since 200o..18 institutions have lost accreditation by the six regional accreditation agencies...and you have probably never heard of them...schools like Paul Quinn College, Si Tanka University, Sojourner-Douglas College, etc.

I would bet on a practical outcome with no loss of accreditation....that has been my experience in representing the state in several such instances of being found in non conformity with guidelines or federal law.

Now..if the Kentucky legislators are seriously brain dead, and in the "go to hell, you can't tell us what to do" mood...that bet is off.

But I have yet to see it go that far.

Reaction Score
I have had to testify before the Florida legislature and point out the possible consequences if a bill/amendment was passed into law.

There was a bill that was passed by the Republican legislature, despite my testimony, under Jeb Busch's term. And that law was not in conformity with the federal requirements for funding.

The state was then given the opportunity to make it right...to not implement the offending language and to amend it in the next session. And that was how the possible sanction was avoided.

The Kentucky folks really don't want to be playing chicken with an accreditation agency....there is too much to lose

Reaction Score
I have had to testify before the Florida legislature and point out the possible consequences if a bill/amendment was passed into law.

There was a bill that was passed by the Republican legislature, despite my testimony, under Jeb Busch's term. And that law was not in conformity with the federal requirements for funding.

The state was then given the opportunity to make it right...to not implement the offending language and to amend it in the next session. And that was how the possible sanction was avoided.

The Kentucky folks really don't want to be playing chicken with an accreditation agency....there is too much to lose
At the end of the day @billybud I'm sure the majority of the Kentucky legislature could care less about what happened to UL. Jurich hasn't made any friends with the Yum Center deal and when that deal prevented renovation work done on Freedom Hall using Redevelopment Authority Bonds the bell started tolling. This isn't a joke anymore. If they lose accreditation and can't compete in NCAA sanctioned athletics...the ACC has to throw them out. The time for them to be playing chicken just ended with the passing of this resolution.

Reaction Score
I'd love it if the walls came tumbling down all over UL and their shady AD, but at the end of all this they will not lose accreditation. Before that happens they will be given a list of "must do's" by the state (they probably already have it), and they will comply with each one of them to maintain status. Their AD budget may take a hit, there will be some terminations as a result, but they will comply and still be in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I'd love it if the walls came tumbling down all over UL and their shady AD, but at the end of all this they will not lose accreditation. Before that happens they will be given a list of "must do's" by the state (they probably already have it), and they will comply with each one of them to maintain status. Their AD budget may take a hit, there will be some terminations as a result, but they will comply and still be in the ACC.
Like I said...the time to play chicken in this game is over for them. It also shows them that when push come to shove UK will win EVERY time at the state government level. It would be nice to see UL and Jurich be forced to pay the true value they owe for the Yum Center instead of sticking it to the local residents on those bonds.

Reaction Score
This goes beyond athletics. A lot of taxpayers (or future taxpayers) diplomas would become worthless. OK, maybe they're already worthless, but you know what I mean...
Yup...and a lot of taxpayers are on the hook for HUGE $$ when the Yum Center bonds get called. This is a culmination of a number of things that filled up the proverbial bucket. It never emptied...just kept filling over time. Now it's time to pay the piper as they say...and if I was UL I wouldn't blink anymore..or it's over.

Reaction Score
Is Jeb Busch just a typo or some sort of Florida political joke?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Watch. If UL does lose accreditation and the NCAA kicks them out (unlikely), that will be the moment that the P5 finally breaks away from the NCAA.

Reaction Score
As much as I would bask in glory if this were to happen.... I put the chances of this happening at when hell freezes over.

This will happen when St. Johns' players actually pay their Louisville prostitutes.

Reaction Score
Is Jeb Busch just a typo or some sort of Florida political joke?

LOL...Beer...I left Florida and headed to the mountains... my fingers sometimes get confused and type of their own will it seems...yes, Jeb was a sort of political joke to some....particularly some of his privatization moves.

But he was an ideologist..he believed in what he believed in.

Reaction Score
Here's how this shakes out. Uconn is banned from future NCAA tournaments, Louisville is given accreditation and lauded for providing employment for prostitutes, and North Carolina is credited with providing the best preschool education for all tarheel athletes.

Reaction Score
We all know that Louisville will not lose their accreditation...the only schools that have lost that credential were parctically closing their doors.

The state (legislature, governor) will do what it takes....otherwise, it would be Louisville locking their doors and closing down...and that will not happen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We all know that Louisville will not lose their accreditation...
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Do we know that? Do we really?

Reaction Score
I think that we do, Ms. Kitty.

As sure as we knew that the delegates were not going to overthrow the electoral votes won in the election. Oh yes, such happenings are delicious to think about, have daydreams about, blog about,,,but, in our heart of hearts, we all know that it is doodling.

Reaction Score
Jurich threatens to leave Yum! Center and build on-campus arena due to 'criminal' rhetoric - Insider Louisville

Jurich, playing the victim...

In an interview on WLOU 1350 Saturday morning, University of Louisville Athletics Director Tom Jurich said that its teams should stop playing at the KFC Yum! Center because of city leaders’ rhetoric blaming the school for the arena’s financial troubles, and instead build an arena on campus.

The interview took place two days after the Metro Council Budget Committee debated a proposed ordinance that would lock the city into maximum annual payments to the Louisville Arena Authority over the next two decades, provided that UofL altered its lease to allow more revenue to go toward the arena’s debt payments, which will soon escalate significantly.

Several council members stated that the lease should be altered because it was too favorable to the university, an opinion that has been shared in recent months by a wide variety of officials — including state legislators on an oversight committee, Arena Authority Chairman Scott C. Cox and Gov. Matt Bevin.

Jurich, doing his best 'Woe is me'

“Well, I think we should,” said Jurich, when told by the radio host that it would hurt the city if UofL left the Yum! Center. “I don’t think we’re wanted down there, so I think we should.”

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom