Louisville Ad Tom Jurich Keeps Options Open, Won't Commit To Future In Big East | The Boneyard

Louisville Ad Tom Jurich Keeps Options Open, Won't Commit To Future In Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
10/29/2011
Louisville Courier Journal
C.L. Brown

Louisville AD Tom Jurich keeps options open, won't commit to future in Big East

With his school snubbed by the Big 12 in favor of West Virginia, University of Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich declined Friday to pledge a long-term commitment to the Big East Conference.

“I think a lot of conferences are going to have a lot of movement,”urich said. “I just think we’ve always got to do the best thing we can for the University of Louisville. We always will exercise and look at our options. We’ll always keep thrm in full view of what we can do."

http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...future-Big-East?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

Reaction Score
Damn, all of these schools must be begging harder than us. I think we need to upgrade to groveling.....

At this point I am resigned to whatever fate delivers our way. (still want B1G tho)

Reaction Score
Shocker. UConn and UL will never commit their media rights, so if that is what the Big East is looking for, their never going to get the commitment their seeking. The time to do that was before Pitt/SU left, not now.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Shocker. UConn and UL will never commit their media rights, so if that is what the Big East is looking for, their never going to get the commitment their seeking. The time to do that was before Pitt/SU left, not now.
I agree, before and not now. But there is a possibility that after the B12 stabilizes ( I'm probably in the minority that doesn't consider the B12 stabilized yet) and the BE can begin to formulate a reconfigured conference, they just might be in the position to negotiate a very good media contract in one year. And if all things come together in one year, that media contract can be significant enough to make the conference members consider a stronger level of commitment.

Reaction Score

Could you explain this share "media rights" thing for us less informed?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Could you explain this share "media rights" thing for us less informed?

The rights belong to the conference for X period of time. So, if you leave, you cannot be shown on TV in another conference at all or, ALL TV money you get goes to the conference that holds the rights.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The B-12 suypposedly had all of its (at that time, Missouri abstained) members cede tier one (national TV contract) and tier two (local B-12 games) media rights (television revenue) to the conference for the conference to distribute to its memebrs for six years. During that time, regardless of the source of revenue (ie another conference) the B-12 gets that revenue. If the BE were to do the same, for the length of the agreement a school that leaves gets no television revenue.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
there is a possibility that after the B12 stabilizes ( I'm probably in the minority that doesn't consider the B12 stabilized yet) .

The B12 needs to get the Missouri/WVU thing wrapped up. They don't need to add Louisville immediately/ They'll wait on BYU

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The B12 needs to get the Missouri/WVU thing wrapped up. They don't need to add Louisville immediately/ They'll wait on BYU

The only way WV gets into the B12 if the BE insists on holding them to 27 months, is if Missouri is around next season. If Missouri leaves, then the B12 will have to invite two more BE teams which would break up the BE and make the 27 month requirement moot, or accept a BYU.

All of this comes down to Texas and which way this university wants things to play out. Texas insists on only 10 teams. OU insists on 12 teams. I have offered suggestions why Texas is adamant about holding the conference to 10 teams and OU wants to go to 12 teams. I have yet to see any decent contra arguments. Texas is the driver of that conference and I see them not changing their stance regarding 10 teams.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Do we know that WVU to the B-12 is contingent on their joining in 2012 or are we speculating?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Do we know that WVU to the B-12 is contingent on their joining in 2012 or are we speculating?
Speculation based on two things. The B12 wants to keep Missouri for the 2012 season, which may not be possible. And WV insistence on leaving next season. And the supposed problem the B12 might have with the media contract if the B12 only has nine teams.

Reaction Score
The only way WV gets into the B12 if the BE insists on holding them to 27 months, is if Missouri is around next season. If Missouri leaves, then the B12 will have to invite two more BE teams which would break up the BE and make the 27 month requirement moot, or accept a BYU.
Nobody can make the 27 month period Moot. even if every Big East football school says they want to leave the Big East is still an intact league and can enforce the 27 month period for everyone. every single team will have to wait the 27 months unless they can negotiate out of it. Im not sure why people keep saying that if another team leaves that there all of a sudden is no 27 month period. The Big East is going to protect it's revenue stream and enforce the 27 month period. If a school like WVU wants to negotiate out of it then fine but its going to be for a crapload of money and The Big East will win an injuntion preventing them from leaving. WVU is trying to say the league isnt what it was when they signed on but until anyone actually leaves it's exactly the same league for at least the next 27 months

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Nobody can make the 27 month period Moot. even if every Big East football school says they want to leave the Big East is still an intact league and can enforce the 27 month period for everyone. every single team will have to wait the 27 months unless they can negotiate out of it. Im not sure why people keep saying that if another team leaves that there all of a sudden is no 27 month period. The Big East is going to protect it's revenue stream and enforce the 27 month period. If a school like WVU wants to negotiate out of it then fine but its going to be for a crapload of money and The Big East will win an injuntion preventing them from leaving. WVU is trying to say the league isnt what it was when they signed on but until anyone actually leaves it's exactly the same league for at least the next 27 months

That's great news. My hope is the BE doesn't take the short term quick cash. Unless someone can show me the B12 contract with WV, or until I'm proven wrong with WV going in a couple of years even if Mizzou bolts next season, my belief is that WV has a small window of opportunity to get to the B12 by next season. It is my opinion the B12 cannot exist in a 9 team format. This will put the B12 in a bind and create tensions between Texas and OU and I hope the BE understands this. The risks are small for the BE, because none of the BE teams are glued to one another and Ville and Cincy can be poached anytime. So better to let this happen now than later. And by holding fast to the 27 month rule it increases the odds the B12 goes after BYU. Keeping WV in the conference would improve the chances for the conference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is not accurate. The FB schools can agree to leave without the 27 months.

Reaction Score
That's what will happen.
Can anyone confirm that the BE told PITT/Cuse if you want out now it will cost you $21 mil.
If this is true, the 27 month is not a lock.

Reaction Score
I think the 21 million figure is a myth. I think it's based on an estimate of what it might cost Boise to leave their conference. WVU says it has talked to the Big East about leaving the Big East says they have not talked. someone is lying but there has not been any official mention about a figure of 21 million anywhere other than on message boards

Reaction Score
This is not accurate. The FB schools can agree to leave without the 27 months.

I don't think that the teams that have announced their departure have any votes on anything so I doubt the teams left behind are going to let them walk away.

Reaction Score
A lot of this is mere speculation. It depends in the Big East's constitution/bylaws. We don't know that SU and Pitt (and now WVU) have lost their voting rights on all issues. The only thing I've seen written about this issue is that the Big East ASKED Pitt and SU to not attend the Georgetown meeting.

I don't think that the teams that have announced their departure have any votes on anything so I doubt the teams left behind are going to let them walk away.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Can anyone confirm that the BE told PITT/Cuse if you want out now it will cost you $21 mil.
If this is true, the 27 month is not a lock.

We can speculate that WVU, SU and Pitt can buy out for $21 mil each.

Is that the best scenario for the BE? Fulfill the present undervalued contract? Or do they distribute the $63 mil from 3 teams ($7 mil to the 5 remaining football teams and $3.5 mil to the 8 basketball schools) and renegotiate their contract for 2012 at a higher schedule than they have now?

I'm sure it's been discussed. Stick with the current crap contract out of spite or take the blood money and renegotiate now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The point is that if all the FB teams go, they can go without the 27 months. The BB schools cannot hold them to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom