Louisiana St @ #1 South Carolina - 2/14/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Louisiana St @ #1 South Carolina - 2/14/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Boston is pretty clearly a lock for a SEC DPOY repeat. Averaging 13.6ppg, 11.6 boards, and 3.1 blocks.

I’m not as sure she’s the favorite for SEC POY, but she’s in the top three without question. Not sure South Carolina has another 1st-Teamer on its roster this year—maybe Henderson. I like Cooke, but there are more efficient guards on other teams.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I have high hopes for Amihere, but she better start scratching surface or she may be buried. I still think the injury delayed her.
The injury has definitely delayed her. Her ceiling is probably the highest out of our 2019 class but even still she's WAY improved from last year. The few games she played last year she probably dribbled the ball more off of her foot than the actual court. She's in a competition for the starting 4 spot next year. If she takes a leap, its hers.. but she has to take a leap otherwise she's not going to beat out the steady Saxton, who I actually think should come off the bench next year because she's more of an energy spark than Amihere. Feagin, our incoming recruit, is very different than Amihere. Feagin is probably already a better ball handler, shooter and passer than any post player currently on our roster. Feagin's skillset is more Candace Parker and less Sylvia Fowles. I could actually see Dawn occasionally letting Feagin play at the three in a big lineup, she's that skilled.. the same way she did with A'ja her senior year.

Reaction Score
The injury has definitely delayed her. Her ceiling is probably the highest out of our 2019 class but even still she's WAY improved from last year. The few games she played last year she probably dribbled the ball more off of her foot than the actual court. She's in a competition for the starting 4 spot next year. If she takes a leap, its hers.. but she has to take a leap otherwise she's not going to beat out the steady Saxton, who I actually think should come off the bench next year because she's more of an energy spark than Amihere. Feagin, our incoming recruit, is very different than Amihere. Feagin is probably already a better ball handler, shooter and passer than any post player currently on our roster. Feagin's skillset is more Candace Parker and less Sylvia Fowles. I could actually see Dawn occasionally letting Feagin play at the three in a big lineup, she's that skilled.. the same way she did with A'ja her senior year.
I don’t know as much about our incoming class, although I’m familiar with the players and their positions. How do you think this top recruiting class will compare to the impact of last year’s?

Reaction Score
Dawn’s been pretty vocal as any about LA’s situation. Feels she is still on track given what she’s faced. Plus, SC not overly stacked in the front court and they only added one in the incoming freshmen class.
Dawn is doing her best to try and develop the bench in game situations.

I'm not sure she's getting a ton of mileage out of the effort right now.

Amihere still isn't playing all that connected.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Dawn is doing her best to try and develop the bench in game situations.

I'm not sure she's getting a ton of mileage out of the effort right now.

Amihere still isn't playing all that connected.
I had hoped Amihere would commit to UConn after watching her play against US girls. I thought she would be a lot better by now. As of now, I don't feel bad about her not coming to UConn.

Reaction Score
I don’t know as much about our incoming class, although I’m familiar with the players and their positions. How do you think this top recruiting class will compare to the impact of last year’s?

I think the difference in the two classes is that the former was coming into a Sweet 16 caliber team that needed a big infusion of talent and the latter is coming into a Final 4 caliber team that will be be very veteran heavy.

The starting lineup on paper right now is

Henderson, Sr.
Cooke, Jr.
Beal, Jr.
Saxton, Sr. / Amihere, Jr.
Boston, Jr.

The over/under on a freshman breaking in the starting lineup is probably .5.

I could see Rivers starting if she comes in like a rocket.

I could see Raven Johnson getting starter minutes backing up the 1 and 2 if she's as billed.

I guess Feagin could be a long shot, but pretty tough to beat out a senior team captain and Amihere.

But it's going to a serious infusion of depth, which will be a power up of sorts.

Reaction Score
Boston is pretty clearly a lock for a SEC DPOY repeat. Averaging 13.6ppg, 11.6 boards, and 3.1 blocks.

I’m not as sure she’s the favorite for SEC POY, but she’s in the top three without question. Not sure South Carolina has another 1st-Teamer on its roster this year—maybe Henderson. I like Cooke, but there are more efficient guards on other teams.
Henderson probably has the numbers for 1st team combined with the team success.

I'd have to look at the full bank of candidates, but good chance I would think.

Reaction Score
I think the difference in the two classes is that the former was coming into a Sweet 16 caliber team that needed a big infusion of talent and the latter is coming into a Final 4 caliber team that will be be very veteran heavy.

Henderson, Sr.
Cooke, Jr.
Beal, Jr.
Boston, Jr.

I could see Raven Johnson getting starter minutes backing up the 1 and 2 if she's as billed.

I guess Feagin could be a long shot, but pretty tough to beat out a senior team captain and Amihere.

But it's going to a serious infusion of depth, which will be a power up of sorts.
We need shooters right now, even if they’re coming in as a second unit. Our guards prefer the drive in which can get the lane congested (a problem that dates back to the Coates and Wilson duo days). Even developing a team midrange game would help. From what I’ve heard, the incoming freshman can help with that.
I’m most curious to see how college-ready they are. Boston was obviously a pro from Day One. Cooke and Beal weren’t quite as smooth but still looked relatively calm and consistent in the early season last year.

I’m not writing off Carolina’s title chances this year and I’d still consider us (as a possible/probable 1-seed) a favorite to reach the Final Four. That said, I am starting to believe we might be “a year away.” I’m growing less confident in the Gamecocks’ ability to put up 75-80 points on good defensive opponents. Rematches with NC State and UConn could be problematic, and I don’t particularly want to see Louisville or Stanford along the way, either.

Reaction Score
We need shooters right now, even if they’re coming in as a second unit. Our guards prefer the drive in which can get the lane congested (a problem that dates back to the Coates and Wilson duo days). Even developing a team midrange game would help. From what I’ve heard, the incoming freshman can help with that.
I’m most curious to see how college-ready they are. Boston was obviously a pro from Day One. Cooke and Beal weren’t quite as smooth but still looked relatively calm and consistent in the early season last year.

I’m not writing off Carolina’s title chances this year and I’d still consider us (as a possible/probable 1-seed) a favorite to reach the Final Four. That said, I am starting to believe we might be “a year away.” I’m growing less confident in the Gamecocks’ ability to put up 75-80 points on good defensive opponents. Rematches with NC State and UConn could be problematic, and I don’t particularly want to see Louisville or Stanford along the way, either.

I think South Carolina matches up pretty well against NC State or UCONN in a rematch and I'm not sure how many teams are in that same column or better.

So at this point, I think South Carolina has as good a chance as anyone, but maybe no one really has a particularly big chance.

I'd also be unsurprised if South Carolina got knocked out early in an ugly offensive game. It's the kind of year where I don't think Carolina really has to fear anyone, but there are a lot of teams who might be able to beat them.

In the SEC, I kind of think that South Carolina will run the table. At the same time, I would not be shocked if it loses 2 down the stretch. That kind of year.

I do think stretching the floor would help us a lot and I would like more shooting.

But I think simply adding a scorer at the 3 or 4, would help tremendously. Even if it's mid-range scoring rather than behind the arc.

Reaction Score
I had hoped Amihere would commit to UConn after watching her play against US girls. I thought she would be a lot better by now. As of now, I don't feel bad about her not coming to UConn.
She has high energy and high athleticism. Unfortunately she makes too many mistakes. She can rebound but often charges after the rebound. High turnovers and fouls with low shooting percentage. Low FT percentage too. Good rebounder but her downside outweighs her upside at this point.

She really needs to chill. I appreciate her hustle and desire, but it often leads to mistake. Mybe she can learn tto play within herself and be a valuable asset next year. But she may be pushed for "first big off the bench" playing time by Feagan.

Reaction Score

Henderson, Sr.
Cooke, Jr.
Beal, Jr.
Boston, Jr.

I am looking at next season (2021-22) as sort of a much more talented 2014-15 for South Carolina. In 2013-14 that was the first big step forward for the program under Staley: the previous two seasons were 25-win seasons where we were top 25 ranked, and was a Sweet-Sixteen caliber team. In 2013-14 we had zero 5-stars on the roster, but added an under-rated high 4-star McD AA in Coates to an overachieving roster with Mitchell and Welch, two other 4-stars.

That team won the SEC regular-season title for the 1st time in program history. But while it had Elite-Eight/perhaps Final Four talent & depth, that was uncharted territory and the team still had a Sweet-Sixteen mindset, and that was where it ended.

But the next season had the overall #2 class come in, with Wilson as the #1 overall prep player. And every player from the 2013-14 team returned with the exception of one player that played and produced the least of all on the roster. That 2014-15 team took a huge stride forward, and lost by 1 pt. in the Final Four to Notre Dame, with the last shot of the game in their hands.

Next season, we'll lose only one player, who is a more substantial producer in Grissett. In 2012-13, a 3-star Post in Elem Ibiam improved over the final 8-10 games of the season, and continued her development through the off-season, to earn the starting job at the 5. In 2013-14, freshman Coates came off the bench, and the Gamecocks transitioned from a guard-heavy team with pitiful rebounding, into one of the more dominant post-presence teams in WCBB with Ibiam, Welch, and Coates.

In 2014-15, Ibiam and Welch were still there as seniors, and started every game, while Coates and Super Sub Wilson came in for the 2nd and 4th Quarters, basically played 20 minutes per game, and often boosted the team offense during their periods of action. It is this type scenario that we'll most likely see next season: Dawn likes her upperclassmen and rarely sits them down for the youngsters no matter how talented they are - especially when there are no open starting slots available for them.

So I imagine something unlike Michigan's "Fab Five" - where they were given the keys to the program right off of the bat - but more like North Carolina's "Fab Five" that preceded Michigan's: the Gamecocks will have their starting unit of upperclassmen, and bring in their talented youngsters in the back halves of each half of basketball. There will be rotations of 4-5 players at a time....

Reaction Score
I am looking at next season (2021-22) as sort of a much more talented 2014-15 for South Carolina. In 2013-14 that was the first big step forward for the program under Staley: the previous two seasons were 25-win seasons where we were top 25 ranked, and was a Sweet-Sixteen caliber team. In 2013-14 we had zero 5-stars on the roster, but added an under-rated high 4-star McD AA in Coates to an overachieving roster with Mitchell and Welch, two other 4-stars.

That team won the SEC regular-season title for the 1st time in program history. But while it had Elite-Eight/perhaps Final Four talent & depth, that was uncharted territory and the team still had a Sweet-Sixteen mindset, and that was where it ended.

But the next season had the overall #2 class come in, with Wilson as the #1 overall prep player. And every player from the 2013-14 team returned with the exception of one player that played and produced the least of all on the roster. That 2014-15 team took a huge stride forward, and lost by 1 pt. in the Final Four to Notre Dame, with the last shot of the game in their hands.

Next season, we'll lose only one player, who is a more substantial producer in Grissett. In 2012-13, a 3-star Post in Elem Ibiam improved over the final 8-10 games of the season, and continued her development through the off-season, to earn the starting job at the 5. In 2013-14, freshman Coates came off the bench, and the Gamecocks transitioned from a guard-heavy team with pitiful rebounding, into one of the more dominant post-presence teams in WCBB with Ibiam, Welch, and Coates.

In 2014-15, Ibiam and Welch were still there as seniors, and started every game, while Coates and Super Sub Wilson came in for the 2nd and 4th Quarters, basically played 20 minutes per game, and often boosted the team offense during their periods of action. It is this type scenario that we'll most likely see next season: Dawn likes her upperclassmen and rarely sits them down for the youngsters no matter how talented they are - especially when there are no open starting slots available for them.

So I imagine something unlike Michigan's "Fab Five" - where they were given the keys to the program right off of the bat - but more like North Carolina's "Fab Five" that preceded Michigan's: the Gamecocks will have their starting unit of upperclassmen, and bring in their talented youngsters in the back halves of each half of basketball. There will be rotations of 4-5 players at a time....

If you are referring to the defending champion UNC team that added Rasheed Wallace, Stackhouse and McInnis in the offseason then I like what you're thinking as far as this season goes, but will hope we don't lose to Boston College in the tournament next year.

Reaction Score
If you are referring to the defending champion UNC team that added Rasheed Wallace, Stackhouse and McInnis in the offseason then I like what you're thinking as far as this season goes, but will hope we don't lose to Boston College in the tournament next year.

No I was referring to the UNC class of 1990-91 that came in 2 classes prior to Michigan's 1992-93 class that featured Chris Webber, Juwan Howard, Jalen Rose, Ray Jackson, and Jimmy King. They usurped UNC's "Fab Five" moniker that was used for their class of Eric Montross, Clifford Rozier, Pat Sullivan, Brian Reese, and Derrick Phelps.

The Michigan Fab Five got the instant notoriety due to them immediately being the class of the talent on the Wolverine's roster, and very quickly became starters mostly as freshmen, and led their team to back-to-back championship games.

The Tarheel quintet however were slower to establish themselves, already joining a squad that included upperclassmen veterans such as Hubert Davis, Pete Chilcutt, King Rice, George Lynch, and Rick Fox - the youngsters on that team typically came into games that first season as an entire group, replacing the starters midway through halves (kinda like how Coates and Wilson came in replacing starters Ibiam and Welch). It worked well enough to get UNC to the Final Four that first season, and after a hiccup season the next year, in the 1993 NCAAT both Fab Five groups faced off against each other for the national championship - that was the Webber "Time Out" game when Michigan had run out of time outs, and it resulted in Dean Smith's last national championship.....

Much like Dawn Staley did with Coates and Wilson, I suspect to see the same but on a larger scale with the 2021-22 class - the 2019 Gamecock class was closer to Michigan's "Fab Five" - albeit a "Fab Four" - in that they were able to become starters immediately due to the team roster being thin. But while next season's talent could overtake veterans like Henderson or Saxton, with them being seniors I just don't see Dawn doing that. Plus, the old girls aren't exactly chopped liver either....

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

I think I've said this before on this board, but that 2014/2015 team was one of my favorites. We were stacked. I remember how crazy the crowd would get when Coates and Wilson would come off the bench together and completely change the game. Fun times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom