Lou On A Record Pace | The Boneyard

Lou On A Record Pace

Reaction Score
With Lou's 10 for 10 threes the last game, she now has 110 threes in 32 games this season. That is 3.44 threes per game. That works out to 130.6 threes in 38 games. Brianna Butler set the record for threes in a season last year with 129. That's a lot of ifs, but she has a real chance to set a new record.:)

Reaction Score
I don't know about setting the all time NCAA season record, but KLS has entered rare air in the UCONN Woman's Seasonal made threes. Her 110 marks the 4th time in UCONN history that a player has made 100 or more three point baskets in a season. (1) 2014-2015 KALEENA MOSQUEDA-LEWIS - 121, (2) 2012-2013 KALEENA MOSQUEDA-LEWIS - 118, (3) 2016-2017 KATIE LOU SAMUELSON - 110 & (4) 1991-1992 WENDY DAVIS - 107. In 2008-2009 RENE MONTGOMERY came very close to joining the club by making 99. With six possible games left, Lou has a very good chance on catching and passing KML's 121.

Reaction Score
I don't know about setting the all time NCAA season record, but KLS has entered rare air in the UCONN Woman's Seasonal made threes. Her 110 marks the 4th time in UCONN history that a player has made 100 or more three point baskets in a season. (1) 2014-2015 KALEENA MOSQUEDA-LEWIS - 121, (2) 2012-2013 KALEENA MOSQUEDA-LEWIS - 118, (3) 2016-2017 KATIE LOU SAMUELSON - 110 & (4) 1991-1992 WENDY DAVIS - 107. In 2008-2009 RENE MONTGOMERY came very close to joining the club by making 99. With six possible games left, Lou has a very good chance on catching and passing KML's 121.
I will be shocked if KLS does not surpass 121 !

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It will be more than interesting to see how the tournament teams try to deal with Lou and whether that, in turn, opens up opportunities for others. She has to be strong because the cheap shots and whatever we can get away with are coming her way. Saniya and Kia could be the chief beneficiaries of defenses focused on Lou er ... Sniper.

Reaction Score
It will be more than interesting to see how the tournament teams try to deal with Lou and whether that, in turn, opens up opportunities for others. She has to be strong because the cheap shots and whatever we can get away with are coming her way. Saniya and Kia could be the chief beneficiaries of defenses focused on Lou er ... Sniper.

Having gone 10 for 10 in the last game will change nothing. She will be bumped, banged, slammed, pushed, elbowed, etc., etc., etc., just the same as she has been throughout the season. If she's hitting her 3s it will be worse and if she's missing (because she doesn't set her feet, square her shoulders, and shoot in rhythm) then they'll slack off and worry about others.

Reaction Score
10 - 10 3pts in 28 mins definite is a new record in both NBA and NCAA .

Katie_Lou_Samuelson_cropped.jpg

A UConn player went 10-for-10 from the 3-point line -- and didn't even play in the fourth quarter

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I feel like at one point this year both Lou and Kia had black eyes at the same time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We noted this earlier. K's UConn record is 121. Butler's new NCAA record is 129. Kelsey Mitchell also had 128 and 127. Lou's big night moved her closer to the top. I'd love to see her get to 129 in Bridgeport. I think she'll pass Kaleena in the next 4 games. Chasing the 129 record could be a challenge. Winning is the most impotent thing. If Lou can set the record on the way to a championship, she'll be a legend.

Looking farther down the road, Kaleena still has the NCAA career record of 398. Kelsey Mitchell is on pace for 500. But if Kelsey goes pro after this year, she'll leave with a career total of about 380. If Lou can put up another couple of seasons of 100+, she can catch Kaleena. K had 93 and 118 in her first 2 seasons. Lou has 78 and 110 and counting. As we know, K lost about 12 games to injury in her junior year, which cost her about 30+ threes. If Lou stays healthy, 400+ is possible. She can also pass the sum of Bonnie plus Karlie.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That notorious slacker Maya Moore never had more than 90 in a season. But she never had fewer than 68 in a season. :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lou's record run is very directly tied to another record run by UConn, to break the NCAA single season assist record by a team (UConn 2013-14 - 850 assists. The Huskies currently have 747 assists, and should easily break the record if they make it to the national championship game.

3 pt shots are more often then not catch & shoot baskets that present a great opportunity to pad your assist totals on a team that shoots the 3 well.

Last night Lou had a steal and a defensive rebound where she dribbled the length of the court and buried 3's. Her other 8 3's were assisted on by Saniya (3), Pheesa (3) & Kia(2).

Reaction Score

It has already. It's been that way all year. Notre Dame and Texas coaches remarked that they would have liked to play zone but decided against it. IMO they thought the zone would be a good idea to slow down Gabby/Collier. But on the flip side many teams don't go zone because of Lou/Nurse and Saniya.

Every time a team goes man-to-man -- unless it is a sagging man-to-man-> Gabby and Napheesa say "thank you."
Every time a team goes zone or sags man-to-man-> Lou, Nurse and Saniya say "thank you."

Maybe try a gimmick defense.

Reaction Score
I think many of us have noticed Lou wave her hands when she seems open, only for the ball to be rotated to the other side of the court. Various interpretations: last year they didn't want to throw to the freshman; they think she shoots enough already....whatever.

The other night I thought: perhaps this is a UConn strategy. That Lou waves whenever it looks even possible that she's open, not to expect the ball, but to make the other team shade toward her just a little more, opening up the interior spacing for Gabby and Pheesa. The pass away from her, then, is to get the angle for the next pass to drop it down low.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think many of us have noticed Lou wave her hands when she seems open, only for the ball to be rotated to the other side of the court. Various interpretations: last year they didn't want to throw to the freshman; they think she shoots enough already....whatever.

The other night I thought: perhaps this is a UConn strategy. That Lou waves whenever it looks even possible that she's open, not to expect the ball, but to make the other team shade toward her just a little more, opening up the interior spacing for Gabby and Pheesa. The pass away from her, then, is to get the angle for the next pass to drop it down low.
I think that whether Lou waves or not, she draws the defense towards her on the court. Add that Saniya has been hitting her shot and hopefully Kia will be back in rhythm by tourney time and that should open up the high- low game of Gabby and Pheesa very nicely.

UConn's constant motion offense, the way they space the floor, great passing and great shooting make the Huskies a nightmare to defend for any team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I really think that you might be on to something here. In earlier games, I noticed that Lou would wave (call) for the ball when she was on one of the wings. Usually one or more defenders would move toward Lou and then the ball would be quickly whipped to the opposite wing to an open Chong or Nurse.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell going pro after this season? My impression is that Ohio State has quite a few underclass kids who are good.
I wonder if that factor....combined with the fact that the final 4 next year is in Columbus...might sway her to stay 4 years.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think that whether Lou waves or not, she draws the defense towards her on the court. Add that Saniya has been hitting her shot and hopefully Kia will be back in rhythm by tourney time and that should open up the high- low game of Gabby and Pheesa very nicely.

UConn's constant motion offense, the way they space the floor, great passing and great shooting make the Huskies a nightmare to defend for any team.
I was watching the defense closely a few games ago, when Napheesa and Gabby were getting dribble drives from the top of the key and it was surprising how often they were driving to the side where Lou was outside the arc on the wing - her defender was glued to her and not providing and help on the drive which opened that side of the lane for the drive. It was a prime example of how defenses are picking their poison. The opposite example was this last USF game where the defender was cheating off Lou to prevent Napheesa going off and ...

Lou's height, length, and quick release makes her more dangerous than KML - not quite as unstoppable as Stewart, but a better percentage shooter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom