Lou Listed as Questionable | The Boneyard

Lou Listed as Questionable

Reaction Score
Did we already know that this was official?

Junior Katie Lou Samuelson, one of three returning All-Americans on the roster, suffered a mid-foot sprain during the second quarter of UConn’s victory over Cal on Friday. She is listed as questionable for Sunday’s tilt against the Terrapins.

Reaction Score
Thanks, husky32, that's encouraging. We'll obviously learn more during tomorrow's nationally televised game. I know how much she's going to want to play out in California, but I for one hope she lays off it until fully recovered. From what I've seen so far, Lou is looking like she may be the team's most important player this year. Fingers crossed that the injury is not a severe one.

Reaction Score
That's pretty good news... I hope. Tons better than "out. I believe UCONN should be ok VS MD without Lou... Z starting, but the bench experience (trusted players for Geno) gets shorter.

Lou surely wants to play vs UCLA and based on score of their game VS Baylor this afternoon, she probably will be needed...BUT nothing should put long term recovery (i.e. NC) IN jeopardy.

Reaction Score
That's pretty good news... I hope. Tons better than "out. I believe UCONN should be ok VS MD without Lou... Z starting, but the bench experience (trusted players for Geno) gets shorter.

Lou surely wants to play vs UCLA and based on score of their game VS Baylor this afternoon, she probably will be needed...BUT nothing should put long term recovery (i.e. NC) IN jeopardy.
yes, the real irony is that, again, UConn is fragile in the forecourt, as they wait for Batouly to heal....I guess you just can't have too many wings and bigs....

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
In the preview for the Maryland game, Lou is listed as Questionable. I guess that is better then listed as doubtful or not playing.

Preview
Wa-a-a-a-a-a-ay better. The fact that Lou isn't listed as "Out" augers well for a speedy return. In the old NFL lexicon, "Probable" meant a 75% chance of playing, "Questionable" meant 50%, "Doubtful" meant 25% and "Out" meant, well, yes, you guessed it, 0% chance of playing.

No doubt Lou will want to play versus UCLA but there's also absolutely no chance that Geno will allow her to play unless she's cleared by the medical staff.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Like to believe, but could be an over read.
Rocky when I saw the blood pool immediately on the underside of her foot I knew this was no ordinary sprain. Say as they will, and I hope to all the basketball gods that I'm wrong, I expect this report to be significantly upgraded. If I'm wrong I will take all the upbraiding BY-ers think I deserve, but I'm sticking by my initial quote. 8-10 weeks. At best. Man, I want to be dead wrong.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky when I saw the blood pool immediately on the underside of her foot I knew this was no ordinary sprain. Say as they will, and I hope to all the basketball gods that I'm wrong, I expect this report to be significantly upgraded. If I'm wrong I will take all the upbraiding BY-ers think I deserve, but I'm sticking by my initial quote. 8-10 weeks. At best. Man, I want to be dead wrong.

You know I don't "like" it, but do appreciate the caution. In the absence of blatant diagnostic imaging foot injuries are hard to diagnose, both as to the what and the extent of what.

Though different Batouly's "bruise" and the rolling prognosis are a cautionary tale.

Reaction Score
Where is the "dislike" button.

I have to believe that UCONN had Lou seen by the best medical experts at their disposal first thing this morning...and that they are taking the steps necessary to be sure one of their best is back as soon as she is healthy.

That said, I fully expect her to have a seat belt holding her tightly on the bench VS MD... and perhaps VS UCLA as well.:)

Reaction Score
How did you see this?

Reaction Score
How did you see this?
well, this is what threw me, because this is what I saw, sitting not far away (this is a screen capture from the game tape). this is the very start of the 2nd half and she has her shoe back on, which might suggest that it hadn't swelled enough to make it uncomfortable and that there was no longer need for ice. But I'm not a professional trainer and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express (at least, not last night)

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 6.31.03 PM.png

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
well, this is what threw me, because this is what I saw, sitting not far away (this is a screen capture from the game tape). this is the very start of the 2nd half and she has her shoe back on, which might suggest that it hadn't swelled enough to make it uncomfortable and that there was no longer need for ice. But I'm not a professional trainer and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express (at least, not last night)

View attachment 26272
Later in the second half she did sit with the trainers and then was walking with no shoe or sock but with an ice bag taped to the top of her foot. Not uncommon to apply ice in 15 minute segments with anything you don't want to swell.

Reaction Score

View attachment 26272

After immediate ice, the protocol is to put the sneaker back and lace it up as tight as can be tolerated. The compression helps to alleviate swelling. Ice will then be applied again later as per the RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) approach.

Reaction Score
It never fails to weird me out how every time one of our players gets injured, a Boneyard doctor seems bound and determined to diagnose the worst case scenario. I remember KML was ruled out for the year by Boneyard, MD after she fell on her elbow against Stanford in 2015. I prefer to wait for UConn's medical staff to make the final diagnosis.

Reaction Score
Later in the second half she did sit with the trainers and then was walking with no shoe or sock but with an ice bag taped to the top of her foot. Not uncommon to apply ice in 15 minute segments with anything you don't want to swell.
during this sequence there is a very brief period where Lou's foot and the ice bag are visible... it's hard to tell if the "discoloration" (remember, Lou is the whitest girl ever from Southern California...as per Geno)... as I was saying, there appears to be some "blue" coloring under the wrapping of the ice...but it's hard to tell if it's really blue, or just the way the wrap is overlapped, etc. It's such a brief section of the replay/video it's just tough to tell. I vote for just the way it's wrapped....and Lou will be on the floor soon... maybe not this weekend/week, but soon.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I wouldn't read anything in to the questionable designation. It's probably just a placeholder. No need to let Maryland know her status until game time tomorrow. I hope it's accurate but She could be definitely out and that's the most they'd say at this point.

Beyond that, the Boneyard MDs are at it again.

Reaction Score
After yesterday's game, Lou could walk back to the lock room by herself, is a good sign.
If it is serious She would either not show up or with some kinds of help to walk jmho

Reaction Score
Thanks, husky32, that's encouraging. We'll obviously learn more during tomorrow's nationally televised game. I know how much she's going to want to play out in California, but I for one hope she lays off it until fully recovered. From what I've seen so far, Lou is looking like she may be the team's most important player this year. Fingers crossed that the injury is not a severe one.

I think CD development is the key to the season. CD is really irreplaceable when u think about it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

View attachment 26272

There are real possibilities for a Caption This in the exchange going on between Gabby and Z. I'm going to take my shot. Gabby to Z: "No, dammit. You play underneath and I'm top of the key out!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom