Lou Has A Sense of Humor | The Boneyard

Lou Has A Sense of Humor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
About being 6'3" and not rebounding.

"Sometimes I'm just watching them jump after the ball and I'm like,'Wow, that's pretty cool … Good job, guys!'" Samuelson said. "Maybe I should go over and help? Nah."

UConn Women: Rebounding Exploits Of Williams And Collier Make Impression On Samuelson

"I know I definitely need to go crash more," Samuelson said. "But they're two of the best rebounders in the country and they just know how to read the ball better than anybody else."

Reaction Score
California Cool, but at 6'3" both now and in the pros, she plays a position where she has to rebound. Of course they "read" the ball better than she does, but hard work can improve this significantly.

They need to put 3 bulky guys about 5 feet away from the rim and apart from each other on the 180 degree arc of the rim, and make her crash the boards, anticipating the bounce and fighting through the guys, over and over and over again. It does her no favor to let her skate on this because of Gabby and Pheesa this year, and Batouly and AZ next year as well. It's clear that this is the least instinctive part of her game, and she needs to work and work and work on it.

Reaction Score
Sounds like you don't have a sense of humor. Lou is basically playing a guard and rebounding from that position so her numbers show she rebounds well from that position but if you actually watch her in the games she is there with the others boxing out. Do you want her to interfere and take the boards from them and possibly cause the ball to be turned over or do you want her to box out be there for rebounds so the team can rebound the ball and be smart!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I commented about this on another thread, but there is also an issue with floor balance - if Lou were to join Gabby and Napheesa going for offensive rebounds, the team would end up giving up a lot more transition baskets - not everyone should crash the boards on each play, and lou does choose her moments when Gabby or Napheesa are up top when the shot is made.

Reaction Score
California Cool, but at 6'3" both now and in the pros, she plays a position where she has to rebound. Of course they "read" the ball better than she does, but hard work can improve this significantly.

They need to put 3 bulky guys about 5 feet away from the rim and apart from each other on the 180 degree arc of the rim, and make her crash the boards, anticipating the bounce and fighting through the guys, over and over and over again. It does her no favor to let her skate on this because of Gabby and Pheesa this year, and Batouly and AZ next year as well. It's clear that this is the least instinctive part of her game, and she needs to work and work and work on it.

I agree with you on this one. She needs to get her head into rebounding--even sitting on the bench at times--watch where the shot came from--look at the angle--if it misses where should it go?? Knowing this and the propensity of individual shooter to go long or short --makes for a pretty fair rebounder. Russell one of my top favorites on the floor or analyst--said he knew where the ball would go as it left the shooters hand. Angles, propensities, shooters!
There will be games where Collier or Gabby will be sitting with fouls--who then helps with rebounding--certainly not Saniya or Crystal. Not against Md or USC!!

Reaction Score
C'mon folks. There are plenty of times when either Gabby or Pheesa is not in the game, and Lou is their biggest starter. Do we want the only alternative to be Natalie when Gabby or Pheesa is resting or being protected from foul trouble? It's not as if she shies away from contact: she's great at going to the hoop and also at taking the charge. She can be doing a lot better (as Geno has said). And in the pros she will need to crash as well, and there they take no prisoners--better to learn that now.

Reaction Score
C'mon folks. There are plenty of times when either Gabby or Pheesa is not in the game, and Lou is their biggest starter. Do we want the only alternative to be Natalie when Gabby or Pheesa is resting or being protected from foul trouble? It's not as if she shies away from contact: she's great at going to the hoop and also at taking the charge. She can be doing a lot better (as Geno has said). And in the pros she will need to crash as well, and there they take no prisoners--better to learn that now.

The Attribute of UC kids going to the WNBA is their learning curve is short if at all --there were some exceptions--I wonder where they are now??
Against USC or Baylor (next time) or Texas (next time) will Irwin and or Natalie contain their big with either or both Gabby /Collier sitting on the bench?
Obviously, we are not posting anything Geno doesn't know and isn't working on. It too is obvious KLS has been advised (nice way of saying it) to get more rebounds..

Reaction Score
UcMiami's comment about floor balance is accurate. You can't have everyone pounding the offensive boards. On the other hand, Lou could be more tenacious on the defensive boards. I think her hesitation comes mainly from a lack of overall body strength. No one on the team comes close to Lou in the amount of times she hits the floor. It seems as though she gets knocked down 5 or more times a game.
(I'll have to watch the replays to get an accurate count against the better teams)
A stronger Lou will be a better rebounding Lou.

Reaction Score
I commented about this on another thread, but there is also an issue with floor balance - if Lou were to join Gabby and Napheesa going for offensive rebounds, the team would end up giving up a lot more transition baskets - not everyone should crash the boards on each play, and lou does choose her moments when Gabby or Napheesa are up top when the shot is made.
Your admonition that all 3 (Gabby, Naphees, Katie) should not crash the boards is correct--however I don't and I believe that's not what Bags was speaking to--I was saying that Katie Lou will be needed/required if either of the other 2 are sidelined with fouls or injuries with top level talented opponents. She is the tallest and most mobile of any of the (available) players on the bench.

Reaction Score

You need to relax! She's a sophomore and hardly needs to worry about what she'll do in the pros at this point. She's doing fine and from her position she rebounds adequately. When Gabby and Pheesa are in there it would actually be counter productive for Lou to be crashing the boards.

Reaction Score
You need to relax! She's a sophomore and hardly needs to worry about what she'll do in the pros at this point. She's doing fine and from her position she rebounds adequately. When Gabby and Pheesa are in there it would actually be counter productive for Lou to be crashing the boards.

I re-watched some recent games and I did notice quite a few times where Lou's hands were right there to grab the ball but she pulled back as Gabby, Nat or NC were grabbing the rebound too. That said I am sure she could do a bit more but I do see her working at helping either rebound or getting back and just not standing around as plays unfold. Pretty sure coach would not allow that either with out letting her hear about it. : - )

Reaction Score

My feeling is Geno is already working on making Lou a better rebounder. She's come a long way over what she could contribute last year.

Reaction Score
I enjoy reading this stuff so much that I really hate to get into it. But enough about you. Two things jumped out at me as I was reading: talk about Lou getting bounced around and the stats that Napheesa and Gabby have produced so far this season. If memory serves, Bre got bounced around, too. Like Lou, Stewart was/is skinny and light weight. Size alone does not a great rebounder make (see: Natalie Butler). Despite her size, Samuelson is not going to be in the middle most of the time. What Bre perfected and Gabby has too is the art of inserting oneself into the action w/out fouling. The thought that Williams would foul out used to be a constant concern: not anymore. She's learned to get the ball and not the opponent. This seems a little noted art acquired by the best UConn players. Going 40 minutes in one thing; not getting in foul trouble is its what makes going 40 possible. Great stats are the by-product.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Like Lou, Stewart was/is skinny and light weight.

I'm not going to argue with your post and it's point. I will however disagree with the use of the word "skinny". Even at this point, one can see definition developing in her shoulders and arms and I would bargain that that development will continue.
Slim...eh maybe. Skinny? Maybe at some point in her past but I think she's already beyond that moniker.

lou_cut.jpg

Reaction Score
Sorry Rocky my response was not to your post I should have included the other quote, I actually thought the article was funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom