Lou and Pheesa stat | The Boneyard

Lou and Pheesa stat

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Napheesa is 32/37 from the floor in the last three games.

Unfortunately, Lou is 8/29 from three in the last four games.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Lou gets a lot of glory and deservedly so. But Collier is one of the most unique players I've seen at UConn, or anywhere in WCBB. She's so quick and precise in her cuts. She really knows how to plant that foot and make that move to the hoop. She has great deception on the pick and roll. She has a great variety of shots around the basket. She has great awareness of where she is under the hoop. She knows her spots on the floor, and frequently she'll receive a pass, whether she's stationary or on the move, exactly on the block. Always on the block. She's knows which spots on the floor where her shot is most effective. When she goes in the lane she'll receive the pass in the same spot. Gabby plays with a lot of energy, but Phessa also plays with and incredible amount of energy and pace. Where Lou is silky on her shots, Pheesa is graceful. Pheesa has the best hands on the team for receiving passes; some of the best in WCBB. She's the best on the team at reading the ball off the rim. I don't think I've ever seen a more consistent player. She gives you the same game every game. The best part is, she's a sophomore. As teams develop schemes to stop her she'll get stronger. She's going to develop better footwork. She'll find more effective spots on the floor. She's going to become better defensively. She's going to become a better outside shooter. She's going to develop a better handle. She's going to learn to read her teammates better. Geno can say what he wants, but I don't think anyone thought she was going to be this good.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

And if you go back to the 3 games before that Lou had about 84 Points in 3 games. Is there a point to your post?
All it proves is they're not robots , they're human. They get hot and cold. When one gets cold another gets hot. It all balances out.

Reaction Score
Lou gets a lot of glory and deservedly so. But Collier is one of the most unique players I've seen at UConn, or anywhere in WCBB. She's so quick and precise in her cuts. She really knows how to plant that foot and make that move to the hoop. She has great deception on the pick and roll. She has a great variety of shots around the basket. She has great awareness of where she is under the hoop. She knows her spots on the floor, and frequently she'll receive a pass, whether she's stationary or on the move, exactly on the block. Always on the block. She's knows which spots on the floor where her shot is most effective. When she goes in the lane she'll receive the pass in the same spot. Gabby plays with a lot of energy, but Phessa also plays with and incredible amount of energy and pace. Where Lou is silky on her shots, Pheesa is graceful. Pheesa has the best hands on the team for receiving passes; some of the best in WCBB. She's the best on the team at reading the ball off the rim. I don't think I've ever seen a more consistent player. She gives you the same game every game. The best part is, she's a sophomore. As teams develop schemes to stop her she'll get stronger. She's going to develop better footwork. She'll find more effective spots on the floor. She's going to become better defensively. She's going to become a better outside shooter. She's going to develop a better handle. She's going to learn to read her teammates better. Geno can say what he wants, but I don't think anyone thought she was going to be this good.

Great post

Reaction Score
sometimes in football, you run a play that you know isn't likely to work, just to set up something later, which looks similar but is really different.

No one plans for Lou to miss her shot, but even when she is missing, she always represents a real threat to go on a streak from way downtown that will tear your heart out, and defending against that weakens the interior defense just a little. And then Pheesa and Gabby have an even easier time working their magic underneath.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Victor is correct, "Unfortunately" is the key word here and is noting just that-KLS has been unfortunate with her shots lately for whatever reason. Water seeks its own level, and while KLS might be experiencing an ebb tide, soon the water will flow. Keep the faith!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I wish I could find a chart of Samuelson's shots taken. It seems like most of the shots that she has been missing are from deep at the top of the key. I always though her sweet spot was from the corner.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I wish I could find a chart of Samuelson's shots taken. It seems like most of the shots that she has been missing are from deep at the top of the key. I always though her sweet spot was from the corner.
No, she is missing them from the same spots that she was making them from previously, i.e., from one end of the 3-point line to the other. And spring will come -- you and she just have to have faith (and patience).

Look what happened to Kia's 3-point shot since the first few games of the season. It's nice to see that she (and to some extent Saniya and Crystal) can pick up the 3-point load while Lou is scuffling a bit.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Geno can say what he wants, but I don't think anyone thought she was going to be this good.

I sensed it and wrote around it.

August:
For Napheesa, it's easy: Bridgeport, March, against Texas. the starters were not putting the Longhorns away, Geno put in Pheesa and KLS (just before half-time) who proceeded (more or less as usual) to stand around and wait for the big 3 to execute. Geno called a timeout and screamed at the frosh to do something, he hadn't put them in to be mannequins.

Pheesa then went on a mini-tear on both sides of the court, rebounds....maybe a block or steal, and three aggressive and successful forays to the hoop. Broke the back of the Texas will....the game was over.

Available in living color in replay.

March (right after the Texas game) Baddass Award ceremony:

Let's not forget Napheesa Collier, certainly honorable mention.
What a scene-stealing entrance that was!

Reaction Score
Napheesa is an incredible player without question. However, what would her shooting percentage be if she shot as many 3s as Lou? Lou is 77 out of 179. Napheesa is 9 out of 24. If Napheesa shot the 3 more, her percentage would increase. A difference of 155 3s is a lot.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score

Fabulous post!

Fabulous player as well.

I have been thinking about why it is that Collier is able to make it look so easy to score inside - and if it was easy, everyone would do it - and your post is a well thought out analysis of why she is able to do that.

Glad you noted her awareness of where she is under the hoop, would add that she also has a great sense of where her defenders are. Collier is great at "finding the blue sky" (I think that is a Tommy Heinsohn saying) and getting her shot off in traffic. She is able to take contact and score, but her inside game is largely about creating space (though footwork, body control, quick release, etc.) and finishing, rather than creating contact a la Kevin McHale (although he could create space as well).

Agree as well that she will become a better outside shooter, she has great shooting form that she repeats every time, and last night showed some glimpses of what is to come in that regard.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Napheesa is an incredible player without question. However, what would her shooting percentage be if she shot as many 3s as Lou? Lou is 77 out of 179. Napheesa is 9 out of 24. If Napheesa shot the 3 more, her percentage would increase. A difference of 155 3s is a lot.
Different strengths for different players. What would Lou's shooting percentage be if she had to live on the block or receive hard pocket passes off the pick and roll?

Reaction Score

Lou's 3pt shots have been short, maybe she's a little bit tired.

Reaction Score
JordyG, Lou could play on the block. She's shown how tough she is. She played the semi final against Oregon St with a broken foot. She looked liked death warmed over against Maryland, threw up during the game, and if it hadn't been for her second half performance, UConn would have lost.What are you saying? Lou certainly is tough enough. She just happens to be their best 3-point shooter and one of the best in the country.

Reaction Score
Different strengths for different players. What would Lou's shooting percentage be if she had to live on the block or receive hard pocket passes off the pick and roll?

I think Lou would do quite well. The thing that has impressed me the most with these two is not the great stats, its in the critical moments/games when they happen. I.E. Pheese game against FL. ST., Lou at Maryland..... Not to excited about these conference games, let's see how they perform on Monday. Really excited to see them go against some size again.

JordyG

Reaction Score
JordyG, Lou could play on the block. She's shown how tough she is. She played the semi final against Oregon St with a broken foot. She looked liked death warmed over against Maryland, threw up during the game, and if it hadn't been for her second half performance, UConn would have lost.What are you saying? Lou certainly is tough enough. She just happens to be their best 3-point shooter and one of the best in the country.
And Pheesa can shoot the 3 and is good from 15-17. What I'm saying stands. It has NOTHING to do with toughness. Different players have different strengths and weaknesses, and if Lou had to play on the block her percentage would go down. Similarly if the majority of her game depended on setting hard picks and taking low or hard pocket passes. There her TO rate would go up.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
I think Lou would do quite well. The thing that has impressed me the most with these two is not the great stats, its in the critical moments/games when they happen. I.E. Pheese game against FL. ST., Lou at Maryland.... Not to excited about these conference games, let's see how they perform on Monday. Really excited to see them go against some size again.
Here we are not talking about doing well. We're talking about effectiveness. We're talking about strengths and weaknesses, specifically about shooting percentages. chrissaran questioned what Pheesa's shooting percentage would be if she shot so many 3's. Ridiculous. My answer was Lou's shooting percentage would drop if she had to contend more with those trees inside. Lou just doesn't have the variety of shots inside to play most of the time on the block. Pheesa doesn't have the consistency of shot to do curls and step around screens. His argument is bankrupt.

Reaction Score
What I don't like is people criticizing Lou because her shot is off as though they could do better. Without Lou they don't spread the floor and Napheesa and Gabby would have a much more difficult time scoring down low. They would just pack the paint. Napheesa, Gabby and Lou are all incredible, and we wouldn't win without any one of those three. People act like I was criticizing Napheesa. That was the last thing I was doing. Anyone who has watched the last two games knows Lou's shot is off. Talking about it won't change it. Hopefully she'll get back on track Saturday and carry it over into Monday's game. If not, it will be much more difficult to win. SC is not an AAC opponent.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's something I sometimes forget about Pheesa and Lou--we'll get to enjoy them for another 2+ years! We're so spoiled!
As Geno said, this is the worst that they will be. Yikes!

Reaction Score
JordyG, you don't have a clue if you think Lou couldn't expand her game even more than she already has. As much as she expanded her game from last year to this year, if need be, she could expand it that much more. She is an incredibly gifted offensive player who, by the way, gets bumped, hit, grabbed and every other cheap play they can try on her, during games much as Breanna did. If you can't stop them foul them because they won't call them all.

Reaction Score
So what you guys are arguing is that they help make each other better ,and both have plenty of room for growth and that we are blessed to be able to watch both ( and more) for the next two years

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom