Lots of positives tonight | The Boneyard

Lots of positives tonight

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
-Defense was tremendous tonight all-around. The team is really starting to gel and become a cohesive unit. Better communication, fewer break-downs. Remember when we couldn't defend the perimeter earlier in the year? Much improved.

-Kentan career high points (23) on an efficient 9-11 from the field, with 10 rebs. Phenomenal game, so happy for him.

-Adams terrific floor game tonight. Nothing forced. Career high 12 assists. Really facilitated the offense by getting the bigs involved early.

-Brimah was a game-changer defensively, especially in the first half. Also efficient on the offensive end, 13 pts on 6-8.

-Vance played within himself, didn't force anything. Had a really nice drive and a pretty bucket with nice footwork down low around the rim. 4-7 from the floor, 2-3 from 3. Double figures in 4 of last 5 games.

-While Purvis and Vital weren't huge on the offensive end, they both defended the perimeter very well tonight.

-Solid rebounding advantage (40-31) in a game where we hit many more shots. Guards especially rebounded well -- Adams and Purvis combined for 15.

-We got to the line and hit our free throws tonight! 13-17 from the stripe (76.5%)

Back to back 40-minute efforts against solid opponents resulting in 2 wins. That's great to see, hope they can keep it going.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We won with Purvis having a bad offensive game, that's a good sign and I didn't think that was possible.
He didn't necessarily have a bad offensive game, only took 8 shots and got 9 points out of it. Didn't force anything which is what you want from him. He played good defense and got 7 or 8 boards, love to see that, he is attacking the glass much more this year.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I love the way Vital plays but man that kid is having trouble putting the ball in the basket, regardless of whether he's shooting from 22 feet, or 2.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I said in another thread, and I know it may partially be over-excitement over our recent improvement, but there's a certain "feel" I get when I see a guy start to turn the light on in their head, and I'm seeing it with Jalen.

He was maddening last year because, honestly, he's so talented that he wouldn't know how to pace his game, he always felt like he could make a home run play.

When those guys figure out when to attack, when to distribute, when to take over, etc., it's fun and scary for the opponent. It makes the ENTIRE thing go.

I think he's gonna show us enough of that this year (he already has, just not consistently) and then explode next year. I'm trying to temper the comparisons, but it's VERY similar to past guys in our programs, both PGs and others.

The obvious, scary ones are Kemba Jr. Year, Bazz Senior year, but then you can think of Gordon's second half of his junior year, Boat's latter 2 years, AJ's junior into senior year...

And Adams has as much physical talent as any of those guys, but they took that MENTAL step. I hope we're seeing that process right now.

Reaction Score
I love the way Vital plays but man that kid is having trouble putting the ball in the basket, regardless of whether he's shooting from 22 feet, or 2.
Yeah I hope people can see beyond his bad shooting because he's actually been bringing a lot for a freshman. He makes the right play most of the time and just really, really gets after it on defense. He is going to be a problem for people the next couple years defensively.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I said in another thread, and I know it may partially be over-excitement over our recent improvement, but there's a certain "feel" I get when I see a guy start to turn the light on in their head, and I'm seeing it with Jalen.

He was maddening last year because, honestly, he's so talented that he wouldn't know how to pace his game, he always felt like he could make a home run play.

When those guys figure out when to attack, when to distribute, when to take over, etc., it's fun and scary for the opponent. It makes the ENTIRE thing go.

I think he's gonna show us enough of that this year (he already has, just not consistently) and then explode next year. I'm trying to temper the comparisons, but it's VERY similar to past guys in our programs, both PGs and others.

The obvious, scary ones are Kemba Jr. Year, Bazz Senior year, but then you can think of Gordon's second half of his junior year, Boat's latter 2 years, AJ's junior into senior year...

And Adams has as much physical talent as any of those guys, but they took that MENTAL step. I hope we're seeing that process right now.

Hoping he doesn't play so good he jumps. Next year rides on him. Either way.

Reaction Score
Agreed with pretty much everything. If I'm nitpicking, there is still some stuff we need to clean up defensively:

- The transition defense was bad at times tonight. Guys had trouble getting organized & matched up - I don't know if it was fatigue or the communication lagging, but it's a good way to get yourself beat against a better team.

- About 10 or 15 minutes into the game, Dunphy adjusted his offense in an effort to pull Brimah out of the paint. They launched 34 threes in total, and had UConn scrambling out of 1-5 ball screens that would pop with Enechionyia at the 5 or roll with Afllakpui there. It can be difficult to assign blame without knowing exactly what schemes were in place, but my hunch is that Brimah defended the rolls correctly. It's on either the guard being screened or the weak side defender to slice back into the play and take away the dump-off pass, and that didn't happen.

Broadly speaking, I'd prefer we not give up 10 threes, even if it does take 34 attempts to get there. A few too many kinks in the machine tonight with regards to close-outs and hedges, but overall it was a very good defensive performance. We'll need closer to perfect if we're going to beat really good offenses like Houston and SMU later in the season, but certainly, the offense has been what's holding us back, and it's very encouraging to see such strides being made on that end.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Loved the KO TO when the game from 22-9 to 22-16. Too often earlier in the year Ollie let opponents go on runs and wipe out double digit leads.

He nipped the mini 7-0 run by Temple and helped the players right the ship.
Agreed. Temple's back to back quick buckets I yelled TIME OUT just when Ollie got off the bench. It was a great TO. The way Temple was banging three's was scary.

Reaction Score
He didn't necessarily have a bad offensive game, only took 8 shots and got 9 points out of it. Didn't force anything which is what you want from him. He played good defense and got 7 or 8 boards, love to see that, he is attacking the glass much more this year.
not a great ball handler hence the turnovers but I hope the shooting returns because on most nights we need it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Commentators indicated KO didn't look happy at practice yesterday and pushed the kids full out. It showed in the game. Jalen, Rodney and Kentan had nothing left in the tank a good part of the second half. That's unusual for them particularly Rodney and Kentan.

KO sent a message to the team in that practice and it could have cost him a win. I hope the kids don't need any more lessons.

Reaction Score

The CAPS in the last paragraph was really on point IMO. Should be interesting to see what happens in 17-18 for JA. We need to add another piece or 2 to next years roster but if we do and can somehow keep improving this year then there is good reason to be very bullish looking forward to next year.

Let's see what happens at GTown. Big game.

Reaction Score
-Defense was tremendous tonight all-around. The team is really starting to gel and become a cohesive unit. Better communication, fewer break-downs. Remember when we couldn't defend the perimeter earlier in the year? Much improved.
-Kentan career high points (23) on an efficient 9-11 from the field, with 10 rebs. Phenomenal game, so happy for him.
-Adams terrific floor game tonight. Nothing forced. Career high 12 assists. Really facilitated the offense by getting the bigs involved early.
-Brimah was a game-changer defensively, especially in the first half. Also efficient on the offensive end, 13 pts on 6-8.
-Vance played within himself, didn't force anything. Had a really nice drive and a pretty bucket with nice footwork down low around the rim. 4-7 from the floor, 2-3 from 3. Double figures in 4 of last 5 games.
-While Purvis and Vital weren't huge on the offensive end, they both defended the perimeter very well tonight.
-Solid rebounding advantage (40-31) in a game where we hit many more shots. Guards especially rebounded well -- Adams and Purvis combined for 15.
-We got to the line and hit our free throws tonight! 13-17 from the stripe (76.5%)
Back to back 40-minute efforts against solid opponents resulting in 2 wins. That's great to see, hope they can keep it going.

Good post agree with it all. Kentan, wow amazing how he just suddenly appeared almost time to put a cape on him if he can continue this.
Adams had a wonderful game all around, need to finish some lay ups but who can argue with 11/12/7 or close?
Amida was really good on the defensive end in the first half changed it for sure, and he is getting his jump hook off more no doubt. Still does some AB things but this improvement suddenly similar to Kentan is crazy. You
have to wonder what took so long with these 2, Kentan especially because he's on another planet.
Vance is going to be a very nice player. Great size, starting to show that jump shooting ability much more consistently and I think you've seen him understand the speed of the game more, throws less stupid passes, doesn't make quick decisions and instead has slowed down and takes what he can get. Gonna be a really good Husky.
Defense was really good at times, not so on others but these guys are playing hard and lots of minutes, give them some slack not easy.
Rebounding as a team impressed tie 15 boards from JA and Rodney.

They are fun to watch because they play so hard with so little, tough not to respect what they are doing. KO looks like he can coach little too huh?;)

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Agreed with pretty much everything. If I'm nitpicking, there is still some stuff we need to clean up defensively:

- The transition defense was bad at times tonight. Guys had trouble getting organized & matched up - I don't know if it was fatigue or the communication lagging, but it's a good way to get yourself beat against a better team.

- About 10 or 15 minutes into the game, Dunphy adjusted his offense in an effort to pull Brimah out of the paint. They launched 34 threes in total, and had UConn scrambling out of 1-5 ball screens that would pop with Enechionyia at the 5 or roll with Afllakpui there. It can be difficult to assign blame without knowing exactly what schemes were in place, but my hunch is that Brimah defended the rolls correctly. It's on either the guard being screened or the weak side defender to slice back into the play and take away the dump-off pass, and that didn't happen.

Broadly speaking, I'd prefer we not give up 10 threes, even if it does take 34 attempts to get there. A few too many kinks in the machine tonight with regards to close-outs and hedges, but overall it was a very good defensive performance. We'll need closer to perfect if we're going to beat really good offenses like Houston and SMU later in the season, but certainly, the offense has been what's holding us back, and it's very encouraging to see such strides being made on that end.

Agree with point three and it wasn't just with AB. But these guys were gassed so they didn't have the bounce in their step that we saw in the UCF game. KO sent a message in practice. It could have cost the team a W but it's a message they apparently needed.

That's coaching that most of us don't observe.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Couldn't agree more. But it's also part of my excitement, I don't think there's a chance he thinks that's the right choice...unless as you point out he EXPLODES.

But his game isn't refined enough for him to smartly jump after this year unless that light switches instantly and he REALLY goes nuts. I'm not expecting that quick a jump.

Otherwise, he'll need next year to fully become a stud.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. But it's also part of my excitement, I don't think there's a chance he thinks that's the right choice...unless as you point out he EXPLODES.

But his game isn't refined enough for him to smartly jump after this year unless that light switches instantly and he REALLY goes nuts. I'm not expecting that quick a jump.

Otherwise, he'll need next year to fully become a stud.
If the switch goes off I'm hoping it's the last nine games of the season vis a vis Kemba style.

Reaction Score

Think he needs to shoot it more consistently so another summer and year at UConn will help no doubt. He rushes shots, shoots it really good when square and space so selection is huge for him.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
JA is going no where but UConn next year
This is a huge learning year for him and next year is the full execution of what he learned this year
IF he performs how I think he will next year, he probably won't be around in 2018-2019
His game now is a bit different than the game we saw in Hawaii - he needs to combine that style with his most recent efforts of leading and distributing
In Hawaii he showed he could be a scorer, but in the NBA, I don't think his place is at SG
While he got lazy and sloppy at times last night (perhaps tired at the end but some of those lapses cost points earlier), overall he was great at dictating tempo and getting everyone involved. That pass to CV in the last minutes was eye opening - even the few Temple fans sitting in our section were cheering on that one

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
JA is going no where but UConn next year

I would have said that about Dham. Even though his family situation is different.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I loved AB's 2 blocks/1 possession feat. He came back fast from the first block.

Our frontcourt improved more than I thought possible. It is amazing. KO is at his best with his back to the wall.

Reaction Score
I loved AB's 2 blocks/1 possession feat. He came back fast from the first block.

Our frontcourt improved more than I thought possible. It is amazing. KO is at his best with his back to the wall.
Did Ollie hire a big man coach or was there a big man camp they attended recently? Today will be a real test for Facey and Brimah. Will KF go 1-7 after a phenomenal game or will AB have 2 fouls by the 3 minute mark. We are a tough out when those two play well.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Did Ollie hire a big man coach or was there a big man camp they attended recently? Today will be a real test for Facey and Brimah. Will KF go 1-7 after a phenomenal game or will AB have 2 fouls by the 3 minute mark. We are a tough out when those two play well.

No. They just took longer to get it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom