Lots of Chess Moves Ahead | The Boneyard

Lots of Chess Moves Ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Missouri to the SEC means the SEC should need one more for the balance of 14. FSU is the most probable because Kentucky will never stand for Louisville in the SEC and South Carolina will similarly nix Clemson. This could open a door for UConn into the ACC but it still seems that UConn is being blocked by someone or something in the ACC. My suspicion is that it is the Men's BBall APR and probation along with 40,000 seat stadium 20 miles from campus (and BC). I know UNC and Miami are in worse shape with the NCAA and Wake, Duke and BC have small stadiums but they are already in and UConn is not.

Big 12 will be at 8 and adding Louisville, Cincy, WVU and TCU gets them back to 12, question is do they want to go to 14 and add Rutgers and UConn? Gets them a somewhat contiguous map from Kansas to NY and opens the NY Media market that the Big 10 allegedly covets.

Break from the BBall schools finally happens.

I think this is the most likely scenario. I hate to say it but if the ACC really wanted UConn it would probably alreay be a done deal.

Reaction Score
No, Missouri to the SEC gives them 14 (Texas A&M was 13, Mizzou would be 14). The SEC, ACC, B10, and P12 have been playing chess while the BE and B12 have been playing checkers.

Reaction Score
I think ACC wanted to see how things shake out with Notre Dame. The ACC will be at 16 sometime.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I think ACC wanted to see how things shake out with Notre Dame. The ACC will be at 16 sometime.
If that's true... then UConn is in good shape. If the ACC is fine with 14... then not so much.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
One could make the point that if the Big 12 stays together that the ACC jumped the gun a little bit.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
OU wants out from under Texas. That should be the first call. The second should be to NBC. Espn and Fox can't be trusted. If you have OU, thereby OSU and NBC on board then you have the makings of a conference.

If you are about to lose at chess, sometimes the only move is to flip the board.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
One could make the point that if the Big 12 stays together that the ACC jumped the gun a little bit.

I disagree. Long term, I think larger, not smaller or status quo is where this is all headed. It might even be mid or short term. The ACC is in the relatively weakest position out of the assumed suvivors, so they really have to act first. The fact that the old BE is holding the departing members to 27 months lame-duck doesn't change the rev scenario immediatly for the ACC, and if you are ESPN and you are discussing a new contract with the ACC and considering the value left in the new new BE, wouldn't the most valueable property be an expanded ACC that further penetrates the NY market? If I'm the ACC, I hold out longer for ND - not sure what the catalyst is for them to act.

Reaction Score

They may have, but it looks to me like it was done for two reasons. The first is the obvious that the super leagues are going to 16 sooner rather than later. So grab hold of two schools you can be proactive in choosing. The second is to protect themselves in the event that the SEC decides to grab either FSU, or FSU and either Clemson or VT, or both. It's been mentioned that the exit fee of $20 mil is too steep for any of them to pay and leave. In this environment though, that may NOT be too high a price to pay for entrance into the financially sound and best CFB league! They can then decide whether to stay at 12, or go to 16 depending on how things shake out. A pretty smart move if you ask me, even though lacking in integrity and class.

Reaction Score

I couldn't disagree more. If the ACC waited until the other three leagues moved to 16, they would get the last 16 available. They have a chance to do substantially better by locking their league of 16 in place first.

I hate to say this, but I think Swofford to date has outplayed everyone.

Reaction Score
I couldn't disagree more. If the ACC waited until the other three leagues moved to 16, they would get the last 16 available. They have a chance to do substantially better by locking their league of 16 in place first.

I hate to say this, but I think Swofford to date has outplayed everyone.[/quote]

Pretty much correct. As I said in another post.....if he wanted to show me something behind his shed, I wouldn't go. But you have to give the devil his due here.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

I hate to say this, but I think Swofford to date has outplayed everyone.

I don't know. By your logic, the move to 14 should be quickly followed by the move to 16 and, assuming ND stays indie and Texas isn't moving, the move to 16 would include UConn and Rutgers to lock up the NE and give the old time ACC hoops unis it's traditional hoops subconference. Of course, that might piss of FSU and perhaps VTech and prompt them to the SEC which would force the ACC to look for another two schools. If the ACC stays at 14 and waits for things to shake out, they can be in the exact same position 2- 3 years down the line. I guess you could say that the ACC grabbed Pitt and Cuse before the Big 10 could but if you listened to Boeheim it seems like the Cuse has always felt the ACC was a better fit than the Big 10 and whether the Big 10 would want another PA school is doubtful. It's not like locking up Pittsburgh is grabbing a big market.

Wheels within wheels and I must admit my disdain for Swofford may be coloring my opinion of the move.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons UConn may not light be on top of the list of possible invitees is the quality of the FB program, as well as its history. Pitt and Syracuse may be down, but they have a substantial history whereby they show they could be really good in FB.

UConn does not have a good history of success against BCS teams......isn't the last 5-10 year history a sub 0.500 record against BCS schools. How about success against ranked BCS opponents? Isn't it more often than not rated very low in offense, particularly passing offense production. It is not now, and has not been an offensive machine since joining the BE. Lets not talk about offensive production the last 5 games.

I think I've seen commentary from Florida State saying UConn FB would "waterdown" the league. I'm afraid VT, NCarolina, N Carolina State, and even Miami may have similar opinions. We can't hang our hats on beating Duke or Virginia.

I don't think its so much about what basketball brings, its about enhancing ACC FB, That is why there has been speculation that ND, Texas, and maybe even PSU has been approached. It's almost like they feel UCFB resembles the Temple programs of the old BE.

Reaction Score
The ACC is waiting to see if they can pull in one of Texas or Notre Dame before they move forward. When they get definitive no's, expect UConn to be added.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I don't think its so much about what basketball brings, its about enhancing ACC FB, That is why there has been speculation that ND, Texas, and maybe even PSU has been approached. It's almost like they feel UCFB resembles the Temple programs of the old BE.

That is fine and dandy to want that...but there is no way that Texas or PSU go to the ACC. And there is only a slight chance (mabye 20%) that ND goes to the ACC. So thats fine that they want to try their hand at those schools, but then eventually they will have to come back to reality and get to 16 somehow. And UConn will be one of the best football programs out there that is not currently in a 'Super Conference'. So eventually, FSU and the rest of the 'old football programs' will have no choice but to vote in UConn.

Reaction Score
So you think the ACC looked at what used to be at Pitt & Cuse as opposed to what the future holds?

Maybe I'm nuts, but I'm thinking the ACC brass was not looking at the great history in the 80's & 90's of these 2 teams. I'm thinking they were evaluating them from the perspective of what they can bring in terms of value GOING FORWARD.

But that's just me.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
So you think the ACC looked at what used to be at Pitt & Cuse as opposed to what the future holds?

Maybe I'm nuts, but I'm thinking the ACC brass was not looking at the great history in the 80's & 90's of these 2 teams. I'm thinking they were evaluating them from the perspective of what they can bring in terms of value GOING FORWARD.

But that's just me.

You mean like they did with BC and Miami? I don't have a lot of confidence in Swofford's vision. In fact, while I'd jump at the chance if UConn were offered the ACC my concern would be joining a conference with Swofford as the commissioner.

Reaction Score

But that's just me.

There's that but there 's also the element of kiritsu. They had to fix the problem they created with BCU on an island geographically and culturally.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Here is where I believe we currently stand: Herbst has been assured that UConn will be one of the two teams that join the ACC when they expand to 16 teams. However, there is no promise in terms of timing...that could be in 2 weeks or it could be in 2 years. That is why Herbst has been so quietly confident despite the clearly dire situation we find ourselves in. She knows that eventually we will be fine, but we just need to arrange for a life boat until our ship can get to us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
But that's just me.

I don't think they're just looking at Football. There are other "fits". The school presidents call the shots here, not the ADs or conf. comissioner. Syracuse and Pitt are academically respected larger private universities. Pitt is AAU and Syracuse was until last year. They fit with schools like Wake Forest, BC, Duke and Miami. They have very strong basketball teams, and the ACC does not want to water down basketball. They have some football history, but not much recent success, although Pitt has been decent, at least good enough to be over .500 in the ACC. I'm not at all surprised that these two were the first and best options for the ACC. WVU would be a football upgrade but was an academic downgrade. The result, rejection. It's not just about football quality. It's other factors, plus markets etc.

Reaction Score
Pitt is a state school, and not a flagship university at that. But thank you for playing.

Reaction Score
I think that Herbst has that informstion, too. The ACC told her you're next in line, or if nd, the last in. But it has to be at the right time. That's why we see her saying she's committed to the rebuilding of the be, but not staying in tbe be. That distinction to me is huge.

Reaction Score
Here is where I believe we currently stand: Herbst has been assured that UConn will be one of the two teams that join the ACC when they expand to 16 teams. However, there is no promise in terms of timing...that could be in 2 weeks or it could be in 2 years. That is why Herbst has been so quietly confident despite the clearly dire situation we find ourselves in. She knows that eventually we will be fine, but we just need to arrange for a life boat until our ship can get to us.

This is probably very close to what's going on.

Reaction Score
I think that Herbst has that informstion, too. The ACC told her you're next in line, or if nd, the last in. But it has to be at the right time. That's why we see her saying she's committed to the rebuilding of the be, but not staying in tbe be. That distinction to me is huge.

Wait, you said that Herbst presided over the decimation of UConn athletics, now you are saying that she has a handshake deal into the ACC?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Forgot it was a state school. But it is AAU. I think the same criteria make UConn a fit by the way (same U.S. News rank, strong basketball), but Pitt and Cuse were proactive about it, and evidently UConn was not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom