Lost the game... | The Boneyard

Lost the game...

Reaction Score
....at the free throw line.

One player too tall one player too small.
NERVES---can you believe UConn was done in by nerves?? How many missed shots by both Gabby and Napheesa--How many missed free throws by everyone?? Missed shot they made all year---Collier had 6, 8 or 10 shots she made easily all year and missed them--Gabby's wide swinging driving shots---always go--but not tonight..
I have to ask whose decision was it to take that final shot with 12 seconds let and tied score?? Turns out it was not a great decision???
A technical was a blessing--and almost got Uconn into another ot--but it did not.
It was only a matter of time--when someone would see all the weaknesses of this team and take advantage of them-they were evident all year--
Uconn fans are spoiled---this team exceeded the expectations of all --until this tourney--then everyone expect number 5 and some
wrote no losses until number 200 wins--expectations ---reality--this is reality..

Enjoy what you had--few get it. Next year and beyond--more NC's ---We needed a big--next year in comes the big.

Reaction Score
One player too tall one player too small.
NERVES---can you believe UConn was done in by nerves?? How many missed shots by both Gabby and Napheesa--How many missed free throws by everyone?? Missed shot they made all year---Collier had 6, 8 or 10 shots she made easily all year and missed them--Gabby's wide swinging driving shots---always go--but not tonight..
I have to ask whose decision was it to take that final shot with 12 seconds let and tied score?? Turns out it was not a great decision???
A technical was a blessing--and almost got Uconn into another ot--but it did not.
It was only a matter of time--when someone would see all the weaknesses of this team and take advantage of them-they were evident all year--
Uconn fans are spoiled---this team exceeded the expectations of all --until this tourney--then everyone expect number 5 and some
wrote no losses until number 200 wins--expectations ---reality--this is reality..

Enjoy what you had--few get it. Next year and beyond--more NC's ---We needed a big--next year in comes the big.
It may have been nerves, but those big girls inside for Miss St I think should get a little bit of the credit. Gabby is 5-11, Collier 6-1 going up against 6-7. Gabby is the heart and soul of this team - I think she proved that tonight.

Reaction Score
Auriemma lost the game. What an uninspired coaching performance.
Yup. You definitely should have been coaching. C'mon. It's real time decision making, and so much of it is gut and so much of it is so nuanced that we civilians can't possibly know the reasons for subtle decisions. Geez, if UConn had won by 2 points instead of losing by a last second bucket, would that have changed how Geno was evaluated?

Reaction Score
That's four times in a row in OT that we've lost. It's tough but what are you going to do? Geno can't go out there and shoot free throws for them.
All the conditioning and mental toughness --wasn't as tough as needed--once more we are shown---Geno isn't God--he and his team are HUMAN--for humans they exceeded themselves--as Gods they failed---

Reaction Score
Yup. You definitely should have been coaching. C'mon. It's real time decision making, and so much of it is gut and so much of it is so nuanced that we civilians can't possibly know the reasons for subtle decisions. Geez, if UConn had won by 2 points instead of losing by a last second bucket, would that have changed how Geno was evaluated?

Come Bags---Geno lost the game--terrible coaching---in the last play---geno grabbed the ball away from Chong threw it towards the basket and asked Napheesa why didn't it go in?? I f he listened to me --he could have lost the game in regulation and we'd all get some sleep. I wonder who was coaching in the 3rd period--must have been Christine--Uconn went ahead then--great coaching.
One thing is certain the WB world has a lot to talk about for the next 6 months

Reaction Score
It may have been nerves, but those big girls inside for Miss St I think should get a little bit of the credit. Gabby is 5-11, Collier 6-1 going up against 6-7. Gabby is the heart and soul of this team - I think she proved that tonight.
I gave them credit in the first line---on too tall---one too small --Uconn just didn't have the size to effective negate their rebounding--Uconn lost the rebounding stats---Uconn in the first half 7 To' to 4---not a typical Uconn game--it would be or Uconn would not have lost.

Reaction Score
All the conditioning and mental toughness --wasn't as tough as needed--once more we are shown---Geno isn't God--he and his team are HUMAN--for humans they exceeded themselves--as Gods they failed---

A nonsensical post
"Once more we are shown Geno isn't God... - as Gods they failed ?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Mississippi State took last year personally. Big time. And they brought all of that emotion back to the court tonight.. and it SHOWED.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Mississippi State took last year personally. Big time. And they brought all of that emotion back to the court tonight.. and it SHOWED.

True dat

Reaction Score
You have to play with a purpose. The purpose early in the year was to justify we are as good a team as any UConn team of the past. Mission accomplished. I am not sure what the purpose of playing these last few games was, but the team seemed to have lost some of its early season hunger and desire. But let's not forget to give credit to Miss State. It did not happen in a vacuum.

Reaction Score
I l0ve this team and as a team they lost to a better more hungry team tonight. I want to see how they use this and come back next season. Like Geno says, the players knew how to do everything except this.... now they got the experience, what will they do with it. The juniors have 1 more try, and the sophomores have 2 mores years to make sure this was for not.....

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
At 70 years old, I've watched (and played) a lot of athletic contests. Watching this game, I got the distinct feeling that it was just not to be. ( A win for UConn, that is.) UConn players missed shots we are accustomed to them making. Collier picked a bad time to have an off game. (Not intentionally, of course.) That's why they play the games. Doesn't take away the fact that the girls had an awesome season. I agree with Geno, winning EVERY game you play is just not normal.

Reaction Score
A nonsensical post
"Once more we are shown Geno isn't God... - as Gods they failed ?
You know it's a nit picker picking nits---when they cut and paste. The whole posting:

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
The biggest surprise, from the outsiders I know, were the lack of Uconns use of screens and the lack of passing. I understand that Williams had the mismatch with the big on her but she is usually better at getting off passes to cutters who were being face guarded and overplayed. Also, The excessive dribbling by Dangerfield took too much time off your clock with no set up. Possessions become precious, when players make the wrong decisions it makes the games that much harder especially when your opponent is hitting at a good clip.

Reaction Score
You know it's a nit picker picking nits---when they cut and paste. The whole posting:

Nobody called Geno and the team Gods except you. Then you proceed to say as "Gods they failed". That makes sense to you ?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It wasn't the free throw shooting. You don't just get to add points on at the end and say you would have won. Basketball doesn't work that way with it's ebbs and flows. Calipari tried to say it was FT's when the men's team beat hin in '14, that wasn't true either. We lost because only one of the stars showed up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom