Lost in the overtime loss is Kelly's effort | The Boneyard

Lost in the overtime loss is Kelly's effort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Kelly Faris was an absolute terror for ND the last 90 seconds. She had two steals, a save and pass to Tiff, a rebound and put back, and made 4 free throws dead center.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
She played amazingly. I think these two losses are going to be a little extra fuel for her this summer. No way will she want to go out losing to ND again, or in the Final Four.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Good points, Icebear. She is a truly amazing young woman.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She is indeed a kid who will give it all to not lose and it amazes me when folks don't see her athleticism.

Reaction Score
Kelly Faris was an absolute terror for ND the last 90 seconds. She had two steals, a save and pass to Tiff, a rebound and put back, and made 4 free throws dead center.
Yep, I really thought we had it there for a while.

Reaction Score
Her contribution was not lost on us -- just lost among the many discussions in many threads last night.

Thank you for starting a separate thread for her. She was my hero of the game!

Reaction Score
If you could have put Kelly brain in Tiff's body.........OMG!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If you could have put Kelly brain in Tiff's body.........OMG!!
Don't think you need to because I'm pretty sure that Kelly's SPARQ test is plenty high, too.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It appeared throughout the season that folks thought that Kelly should be benched for her lack of offensive production because of the obvious: they kept setting her beyond the arc, and the defense would sag off of her daring her to shoot from the three, and she did not have consistancy from that position. What went seemingly unnoticed was exactly what the op is noting: All of the little things that came front and center in this game especially. I noted in another thread last night that once she started shooting closer to the basket, all of a sudden her points started piling up. But that certainly does not diminish her heart and soul and effort that she gives time and again, game after game. Also, she has started to be the vocal soul of this team, speaking up and telling them that they all need to work together. If there is someone who truely defines "Heart of a Husky", it is Kelly Faris.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

She was a one person wrecking crew. It wasn't lost on most people, I think. She'll be a great captain next year.

Reaction Score
I thought we won when Farris sunk the 2 free throws with 8 sec left!!!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah... have you SEEN Kelly's body? Those arms, good Lord. And Geno calls her the most athletic on the team.

Reaction Score
Kelly impressed me despite the negatives that were hurled her way early in the season. If I remember correctly she hit some key three's against Duke when the rest of the team went cold in the second half. She doesn't hit those and it might have been a different game. There are certain players who seem to do their best when it is needed the most.

Reaction Score
It appeared throughout the season that folks thought that Kelly should be benched for her lack of offensive production because of the obvious: they kept setting her beyond the arc, and the defense would sag off of her daring her to shoot from the three, and she did not have consistancy from that position. What went seemingly unnoticed was exactly what the op is noting: All of the little things that came front and center in this game especially. I noted in another thread last night that once she started shooting closer to the basket, all of a sudden her points started piling up. But that certainly does not diminish her heart and soul and effort that she gives time and again, game after game. Also, she has started to be the vocal soul of this team, speaking up and telling them that they all need to work together. If there is someone who truely defines "Heart of a Husky", it is Kelly Faris.

They seem to have put in some new offensive sets after the BET (when Kelly hit those big and difficult 3's) or given Kelly license to cut into the lane during the offense. Because, I agree that now that Kelly is cutting, getting the pass and she's getting good shots for her. I'm wondering if Geno made some kind of offensive change, because things seem to have been a lot easier for Kelly offensively, lately.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Man this sucks! I hated seeing her and the Huskies lose. It was even worse that it was to Notre Dame. I hope Baylor can make everything right in this world and whoop ND. She played like a champion and never gave up. She had ice in her veins and sinking those four free throws were huge. I bruised my leg when I hit it when her layup attempt rolled out on the foul. I so badly wanted that to fall but it wasn't meant to be. One thing about her, she went down fighting - as they all did.

Now, should I plan my trip to New Orleans for her senior year???? I think so!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kelly simply took over the game for about 2 minutes. It was a truly great performance by a kid who refuses to lose, especially in the post-season.

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
She was a stud. Absolutely. <3

Reaction Score
She was incredible - as she always is. And her post-game TV interviews were classy and impressive - she is one who embodies the heart of what WBB at UConn is about. Can't wait until next year!

Reaction Score
Kelly was the sole upperclasman who performed like a LEADER. I said "Kelly wants to WIN this game." I thought the freshmen and the sophomores showed real fortitude and confidence in this game...they were led by Kelly. I think she should be team captain next year...by herself. Nothing against CD...but Kelly is the one who has been calling out her teammates, playing hard every second of games and practices, leading by example. We need her to be kicking people's butts next year.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
If the Freshmen come in and take her approach to the game, UConn will be scary good! I really believe Kelly personifies what you want in your players. She will do what she is told, doesn't question authority, gives 100% all of the time, and most importantly losing is not acceptable and she accepts accountablability.

It will either be tears of joy, or distraught tears of sadness at the end of the season next year for me and I have nothing invested. I can only imagine how hard it is for these kids that give everything.

Reaction Score
During the course of the season, several people (myself included) commented on what a shame it was, given her extraordinary contributions to the team, that Kelly didn't have more confidence in her shooting. I never saw one suggestion from anyone that she be benched...the very thought is beyond ridiculous. At the beginning of the season, not one of us realistically thought that this would be a NC season. The fact that we did as well as we did is a tribute to all involved, but to none more than KF, who will step up as our acknowledged team leader next year, when we can realistically hope to win it all.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
During the course of the season, several people (myself included) commented on what a shame it was, given her extraordinary contributions to the team, that Kelly didn't have more confidence in her shooting. I never saw one suggestion from anyone that she be benched...the very thought is beyond ridiculous. At the beginning of the season, not one of us realistically thought that this would be a NC season. The fact that we did as well as we did is a tribute to all involved, but to none more than KF, who will step up as our acknowledged team leader next year, when we can realistically hope to win it all.
I want to be on record as stating that Kelly will score 11 points per game next year :0) and will be an All-American! OK, maybe that's a little too much. I do see her becoming more willing to score next year. Having the addtional assets we have coming in next year, big things are ahead!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think that Kelly, Caroline and Heather will set a very high bar in terms of working hard every day for the young'uns. Great senior leadership. We are lucky to have them!

How quickly kelly's four years have gone! She might be on my short list of all-time favorite Huskies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not benched completely there were several comments that she should not start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom