Losing juniors | The Boneyard

Losing juniors

Reaction Score
If Westbrook Williams and Ododa have really good seasons is it possible UConn loses them to the WNBA. Will that leave us shorthanded if they don’t go for five in the 2021 recruiting process. I know UConn fans are on the edge of their seats waiting for the Azzi commitment but should UConn also be going heavy for another big in this class? Marshall,Iriafen,Hollinghead. Way early to think of these things but you know nothing else to do.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If that scenario occurs, that will be a remarkable jump for all 3. Would hate to lose them but on the positive side, that would pretty much ensure us a NC and we will get a reputation of developing players more quickly than our past reputation may indicate opening up even more recruiting avenues.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In order to be WNBA draft eligible, a college player must be 22 years of age, or be 4 years removed from HS, or have completed their undergraduate degree. While Evina clearly qualifies, I am not sure if either Christyn or Liv would qualify. Personally, I am more concerned about Anna deciding to earn a paycheck in Europe, particularly if she is unable to get back to Storrs and play basketball this season.

Reaction Score
I have no idea of the ages of these players to know if they would be eligible but figure Westbrook would be since this her 4th year in college. I anticipate more ladies will leave school early in the years to come if they have the opportunity as part of the evolution of the game. Walker had a very good season last year and knew she would be playing along side her bud Westbrook and the top recruiting class but she still left with the knowledge she had developed her game to the point to be a first round draft pick.

The players college now have never known life without the WNBA, an active AAU circuit or a culture where women's basketball is recognized albeit on a small scale. Those who see the chance to make money playing will want to do so when it is possible. Translation: more players from all programs will start to exit when their names get recognized and they have assurances of high selection.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In order to be WNBA draft eligible, a college player must be 22 years of age, or be 4 years removed from HS, or have completed their undergraduate degree. While Evina clearly qualifies, I am not sure if either Christyn or Liv would qualify. Personally, I am more concerned about Anna deciding to earn a paycheck in Europe, particularly if she is unable to get back to Storrs and play basketball this season.

0 for Europe? :eek: Nah. No one can replace Geno's motivating style. ;)

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
If you have a credible DOB for anyone with a question mark, let me know!

Rising Seniors Eligible in 2021
Evina - Yes
Christyn - No
Liv - No

Rising Seniors Eligible in 2022
Anna - Yes
Aubrey - No

Rising Seniors Eligible in 2023
Nika - Yes
Paige - Yes
Aaliyah - No
Mir - ?
Piath - ?

Rising Seniors Eligible in 2024
Saylor - No
Caroline - ?
Amari - No

Rising Seniors Eligible in 2025
Ice - ?

Reaction Score
This isn't the NBA with farm teams. The WNBA rosters are so limited that even top tier players can't make the cut. That, along with the low salaries, should be more of an incentive for a player to stay and obtain their degree thus opening more doors for them. Actually they can make more money by playing overseas but going over to China or Serbia as a player is not the same as going over as a tourist. If you listen to the majority of the players who have played overseas they will tell you that while they love the money they did not enjoy the lifestyle.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
0 for Europe? :eek: Nah. No one can replace Geno's motivating style. ;)
Agreed, but my qualification on Anna was if she can’t get back to Storrs and play basketball this season. As of right now, neither is a certainty.

Reaction Score
With players able to profit from their images soon they may stay longer if they aren't assured of being say a top 3 pick. With the Wnba season being 22 games this year and who knows what next year salaries will be lower imo and a college degree becomes uber important if they don't want to be uber drivers..

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
With players able to profit from their images soon they may stay longer if they aren't assured of being say a top 3 pick. With the Wnba season being 22 games this year and who knows what next year salaries will be lower imo and a college degree becomes uber important if they don't want to be uber drivers..

Good cleverness here!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom