Lose 2 in a row...first time since 1993? | The Boneyard

Lose 2 in a row...first time since 1993?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I don't know the exact number of games in the streak where UConn has not lost 2 in a row.
I think it is north of 700...south of 800. In any case it is crazy long.
We lost in the Big East tourney in 1993....maybe to Miami? We then lost a close one in the NCAA first round to
Louisville in Gampel....I was at that game. Rebecca a soph...Jen and Jamelle frosh.

Might that streak end this season....notably in the first two games of the year?
We are at Florida State in the first game...they are ranked consistently in the top 20.
We then host Baylor...clearly a realistic final four team.

Possible...yes. Likely...no.

Of extreme importance...NO! Ups/downs along the way...to be expected.
Come March....the way the staff can develop talent....we will be one dangerous NCAA team regardless
of our seed.

Another streak: we are at 75 wins in a row....the record [OUR record] is 90.
Do we have a realistic shot at matching that? IMO...no. Is that of extreme importance. No...imo.

Reaction Score
My thinking is that the only realistic chance for them to lose two in a row is Texas and Notre Dame back to back. But even then, Texas has never looked good against the Huskies (only once were they within single digits). I don't see them losing to Florida State either - they are a better team the past couple of years but not top eschelon like SC and ND

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Geno et al have a huge assignment this season.

How do you take a group of gifted players who were taught and coached to perform a secondary, supporting role
And re-program them to now lead the program to its accustomed pinnacle.

Tough job.

Tougher as Geno attended to his 2nd Olympic summer...We all remember his difficulties upon his return from the initial one.
But this one, was much less stressful, the outcome clearly foreordained. Resembled a walk in the park compared to the nail-biting pressure he put himself through four years ago

And his assistant coaches stayed home to attend to the young 'uns; unlike last time.

Still, it's hard to recall a parallel; three leaders, three stars, graduate together after being the principal cogs for at least three of the last four seasons and those remaining are expected (at least by the fan base) to get the trains running back on time with their usual precision.

I suspect some of the returning roster will step up and others will falter (duh, pardon the lack of brilliance)...and the newbie's group will surprise and delight.

Whether or not this adds up to a final-4 team is something we'll have to wait to find out.

I suspect not.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's certainly possible that the streak could end. The closest UConn ever came to losing two in a row since the end of the 1993 season was early 20004-05. Uconn lost to UNC and then needed OT to beat USF at home. This season's schedule is even more daunting than back then.

The biggest question is whether UConn will have an identity early. Facing a stacked, experienced Texas team, even in CT, followed by facing an equally-stacked ND squad (in South Bend at that)- I mean, Id be pretty happy if Uconn won even one of those games. Who at UConn would step up in games like these? Who do we rely on to deliver when UConn has to? We know all too well there's no Bria, no Stef, no KML, no Morgan, No Moriah, and no Stewie.

If indeed UConn managed one of those games against ND and Texas, the streak of never losing twice would probably carry into 2017-18.

I'm certainly not looking forward the prospect of the streak ending, but it would have been worth it to have witnessed what we did the previous four seasons. We may never see anything like it again...just like it has seemed like we'd never see UConn lose two consecutive games again.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think we could lose multiple times this year, but back to back seems unlikely. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but the only teams that really concern me are ND and Baylor. If we make it through this season in terms of avoiding consecutive defeats, we have a chance of pushing the record to 1,000 games.

Reaction Score
Here's a list that someone posted on an ESPN conversation board that I have copied here...(Jbb Nineteeneightyfive)
ACTIVE Streaks:
“Long Streak" – 849 straight games, no consecutive losses; ACTIVE, #1 All-Time WCBB [Mar. ‘93]
“Rated Streak” – 429 straight weeks in AP Top 25; ACTIVE, #2 All-Time NCAAW [’93; Tenn #1 @ 565]
“Top 10 Streak” – 207 straight weeks AP Top 10: ACTIVE, #1 All-Time
“No D-D Loss Streak” – 164 straight games w/o double-digit loss; ACTIVE
“D-D Win Streak” – 131 wins all by double-digit: ACTIVE
“Newbie Streak” – 85 straight wins in 1st-time meetings; ACTIVE {either #1 or #2; lost 2x in 20 yrs.}
“The NCAAW Streak” – 24 straight NCAAW Tourney wins; ACTIVE, #1 All-Time
“SS Streak” – 23 straight years getting to Sweet Sixteen; ACTIVE, #2 All-Time WCBB {Tenn 27 halted}
“ #1 Seed Streak” – 11 straight seasons as a NCAA #1 seed: ACTIVE; #1 All-Time WCBB
“30’s Streak” – 11 straight seasons with 30 or more wins; ACTIVE, #1 All-Time WCBB
“EE Streak” – 11 straight seasons: ACTIVE, #1 All-Time NCAAW
“FF Finals Streak” – 11 straight wins in NCAA Finals (11-0 total); ACTIVE, #1 All-Time WCBB
“FF Streak” – 9 straight seasons get to Final Four; ACTIVE, #1 All-Time WCBB
“35’s Streak” – 4 straight seasons with 35 or more wins (2x); ACTIVE, #1 Tie All-Time WCBB
“Champion Streak” – 4 straight Natl. Championships; ACTIVE, #1 All-Time NCAAW

HALTED Streaks:
“The Calendar Turns Streak” – 998 straight days without a loss; Halted, #1 All-Time NCAAW
“The Cold Streak” – 263 straight games w/o foe shoot +50%; Halted, #1 All-Time WCBB [1 in last 443]
"The Unranked Streak" – 173 straight wins over unranked foes; Halted, #1 All-Time WCBB [285-1 now]
"The Home Streak" – 99 straight home wins; Halted, #1 All-Time WCBB
"The Big Streak" – 90 straight wins; Halted, #1 All-Time WCBB
"The Halftime Streak" – 86 straight games leading at the half; Halted, #1 All-Time WCBB
"The Double-Digit Streak" - 77 straight wins by double-digits: Halted, #1 All-Time NCAAW
“The #1 Streak” – 51 straight weeks at #1 in AP Poll; Halted, #1 All-Time WCBB
"The Road Streak" – 30 straight road wins; Halted, #1 Tie, All-Time WCBB [excl. neutral sites]
"The Top 10 Streak" – 16 straight wins over Top 10 team; Halted, seems best ever WCBB

Reaction Score
Don't know what to expect this year because this is a new and different group of women. If the Big Three contributed half of UConn's offense last year, this year the wealth may have to be spread among at least four players--but is definitely w/in their capacity. I'm wondering how long it will take for the group to jell as a team, how well the players understand their roles, how consistently they produce. If we're imaging early play, it's possible to predict as many as 5 losses by Jan. 1 (FSU, Baylor, ND, Ohio State, Maryland), but, as one sage noted, before they lose 2 they have to lose 1. So: let's say what is really predictable: if the Huskies get to the White House next year, Obama won't be there and Courtney Ekmark won't be either . . .

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I don't know the exact number of games in the streak where UConn has not lost 2 in a row.
I think it is north of 700...south of 800. In any case it is crazy long.
We lost in the Big East tourney in 1993....maybe to Miami? We then lost a close one in the NCAA first round to
Louisville in Gampel....I was at that game. Rebecca a soph...Jen and Jamelle frosh.

Might that streak end this season....notably in the first two games of the year?
We are at Florida State in the first game...they are ranked consistently in the top 20.
We then host Baylor...clearly a realistic final four team.

Possible...yes. Likely...no.

Of extreme importance...NO! Ups/downs along the way...to be expected.
Come March....the way the staff can develop talent....we will be one dangerous NCAA team regardless
of our seed.

Another streak: we are at 75 wins in a row....the record [OUR record] is 90.
Do we have a realistic shot at matching that? IMO...no. Is that of extreme importance. No...imo.

I was 4 :(.

Reaction Score
I think we could lose multiple times this year, but back to back seems unlikely. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but the only teams that really concern me are ND and Baylor. If we make it through this season in terms of avoiding consecutive defeats, we have a chance of pushing the record to 1,000 games.

Almost all of the non-conference games concern me as do the meetings with South Florida..............hopefully that concern fades when this team gels but if the injury bug hits there is very little room for error..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom