Lopez Sénéchal in good place at UConn | The Boneyard

Lopez Sénéchal in good place at UConn

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Really summarizes her year and what Geno thinks of her. I love his quip to Maria Marino to the effect that she is a scorer and scorers score. " It's not complicated, it ain't French cooking". She is rapidly becoming my favorite player.
I also liked what he said to Lou after taking her out of a recent game: "Rest up fast."

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Geno seems to be expanding his time horizon. Nine or ten years ago he remarked that if he had 10* Stefanie Dolsons he would coach till he's 80.

In his presser, he also said "with some players" he could go out for pizza and come back and start his new life. I wondered who he was talking about.

*I think he said 10 but maybe it was 12.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Everybody including me is enthusiastic than Jana has come to UConn early so she has more time to come up to speed on the UConn playbook. Lou had no luxury and yet here she is starting in every game and scoring in double digits in every game. She has one year, and one year only. Boy has she made the best of it!

Reaction Score
Geno seems to be expanding his time horizon. Nine or ten years ago he remarked that if he had 10* Stefanie Dolsons he would coach till he's 80.

In his presser, he also said "with some players" he could go out for pizza and come back and start his new life. I wondered who he was talking about.

He said If he had 10 Stefanie Dolson's, he could coach forever!"

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

I would venture to guess that it is one, some, or all of those in the Walker / Gordon / Coombs / Espinosa-Hunter class (they entered in 2017). He made some very public complaints about their work effort and absorption of the UConn system during their freshman season, and none of them stayed at UConn for four years.

I don't know if it's skill or luck, but there have been no washout classes, and not really any washout players, since that class came in.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Because of some health problems, I had not really kept up with Husky developments this fall. I did watch the first game, though, and I was thinking to myself as I watched, "Wow, Azzi is really tearing it up!". But then I noticed that the player was wearing no. 11, rather than 35. And she didn't look quite like Azzi, once I started looking closely. But I will tell you what; she gave a damned good Azzi imitation! Along with the rest of you, I am so glad that she decided to spend a year with Geno!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This has just been a great find -- great for Lou to find UConn, great for UConn to find her.

I've been wondering in the last week or two: How much has Lou's draft stock gone up as a result of her year at UConn? The thing that's most impressed me about her is how quickly she picked up the UConn offense. A close second is how much her defense has improved since the first game. Any WNBA or Euroleague scout who's followed her development has got to be pumped at the possible chance to draft her.

I think it's somewhere between possible and likely that she would have been drafted if she'd been in the draft this spring. But I think she's a likely first-round pick now. She's a big strong guard with a deadly shot who can score in multiple ways, plus she picks up new aspects of the game quickly AND plays good defense.

Reaction Score
This has just been a great find -- great for Lou to find UConn, great for UConn to find her.

I've been wondering in the last week or two: How much has Lou's draft stock gone up as a result of her year at UConn? The thing that's most impressed me about her is how quickly she picked up the UConn offense. A close second is how much her defense has improved since the first game. Any WNBA or Euroleague scout who's followed her development has got to be pumped at the possible chance to draft her.

I think it's somewhere between possible and likely that she would have been drafted if she'd been in the draft this spring. But I think she's a likely first-round pick now. She's a big strong guard with a deadly shot who can score in multiple ways, plus she picks up new aspects of the game quickly AND plays good defense.
I was going to post similar comments but you beat me to it. Lou said she picked UCONN for the experience and coaching of Geno. I believe she has definitely raised her spot in the coming draft considerably and her dollar value also. If we didn't have Lou this year, I believe we would have been 15--4 , maybe worse. She was our salvation and I will be sorry to see her go, but Lou really made a name for herself in the one year she was here. Boy, if we had had her for all five years she has played we would have had No. 12 and No.13 GO HUSKIES!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom