Looking Way Way Ahead | The Boneyard

Looking Way Way Ahead

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"New U.S. women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley believes stalwarts Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird will return for a run at the 2020 Olympics.

“My gut feeling is yes,” Staley said when asked directly Friday, followed by a chuckle and adding no further detail."

Dawn Staley believes Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird will try for 2020 Olympics

I'm really torn on that. My girls ain't spring chickens no more. Dee is doing everthing she can to stay in the best possible shape and Sue has great discipline too. Dee doesn't have Sue's scars. But I find it hard to believe that they'll have "it" at 38 and 39 to represent the US in those 2020 Games.

And there is part of me that says it will be time to let others have their places in the pinnacle experience of women's basketball.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
"New U.S. women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley believes stalwarts Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird will return for a run at the 2020 Olympics.

“My gut feeling is yes,” Staley said when asked directly Friday, followed by a chuckle and adding no further detail."

Dawn Staley believes Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird will try for 2020 Olympics

I'm really torn on that. My girls ain't spring chickens no more. Dee is doing everthing she can to stay in the best possible shape and Sue has great discipline too. Dee doesn't have Sue's scars. But I find it hard to believe that they'll have "it" at 38 and 39 to represent the US in those 2020 Games.

And there is part of me that says it will be time to let others have their places in the pinnacle experience of women's basketball.
I think it would be a huge boon for Staley to have one of them return if they can - they wouldn't start, but like Catching this past year their presence would provide leadership and stability. But, I tend to agree that it is unlikely. With a twelve player roster you really have a couple of 'bonus' spots which USA tends to reserve for a young rising star and for either a emergency player because some one has a nagging injury or a veteran team leader.

Reaction Score
"Cap" might be confusing, because in soccer I believe you get a "cap" for every international match played (maybe not friendlies).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'd like to see a 2 olympic cap for the players on both the men's and women's basketball teams.
I think that is not a good idea - this is not a 'participation' trophy thing, it is based on performance - you going to tell Michael Phelps, sorry, I know you are still the best in the world but it is time to let some younger guys into the pool? And especially with the time constraints on USA teams actually practicing, it is a huge benefit to be returning a core of players. On the men's side especially where a lot of the guys don't want to play, rewarding those who do is a good idea. And on the women's side, really, you want to tell Catchings that thanks very much but you played in 2004 and 2008, you can't play again. Or DT who after three Olympics was still the star of her fourth. Or Lisa Leslie?

Sure it is tough that some people never get chosen, and that others end up changing their nationality to get to the Olympics, but the pool of those players isn't all that large, and it is hard to really argue that they deserved a place on merits over someone else on the team.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see a 2 olympic cap for the players on both the men's and women's basketball teams.
Then other younger athletes will also ask for swimming, diving, gymnastics, running and etc..etc... the same thing. Not a good idea.

Reaction Score
I have nothing against a 2 game cap for Duke players on the women's Olympic basketball team, an odor of redundancy notwithstanding.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The concern with DT & Sue coming back for another shot at the Olympics is how do you keep them off the team if they have lost a step, given all they've done for USA basketball. Let's say that Sue is even or close to Mo. If I'm running USA basketball, I want to look to the future so I pick Mo, but how do you cut a legend from the team? Maybe that will be Geno's job as a Special Advisor.

Reaction Score
I suspect if Sue and/or D aren't fully competitive in 4 years, they'll be the first to admit it and not attend camp. D clearly, as Rocky notes, has a better chance, both in terms of physical condition and the fact that she could still hit a bunch of 3s while using a walking cane.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score

It would be a nice gesture, but I would throw in the sweat pants as well.

USA_Hatsnavy_grande.jpg
USA_Hatsred_large.jpg

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
It would be a nice gesture, but I would throw in the sweat pants as well.

Would they be the sweat pants with the funny message on the butt?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I suspect if Sue and/or D aren't fully competitive in 4 years, they'll be the first to admit it and not attend camp. D clearly, as Rocky notes, has a better chance, both in terms of physical condition and the fact that she could still hit a bunch of 3s while using a walking cane.
You're saying Sue couldn't? :confused::D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dee is younger, so I think she is more likely. She can still hit threes and give the team confidence and advice. I'd put her in the possible/probably category.

I wouldn't absolutely rule Sue out, but she will be pretty old. Her leadership and A/TO were key last year. The USA struggled in the game that she missed.

Let's see how they play in the WNBA over the next few years.

I think Moriah will be playing.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The concern with DT & Sue coming back for another shot at the Olympics is how do you keep them off the team if they have lost a step, given all they've done for USA basketball. Let's say that Sue is even or close to Mo. If I'm running USA basketball, I want to look to the future so I pick Mo, but how do you cut a legend from the team? Maybe that will be Geno's job as a Special Advisor.
I would say the closest we came to that situation was Catchings this past year - she probably got the spot based on her experience and long history with USA basketball, and if it had been based on court performance it would have gone to Nneka. I can't think of another player in the last two decades who had sort of a victory lap with the NT.
With Sue/DT I don't think either will want to be on the team if they are not still at the top of their games in the W. That one of them might make the team displacing a 'better' but young and inexperienced player I think would be a decision by the committee and coach that they needed her steadying presence to help the younger back court that will be at the next Olympics deal with the pressures. The third player that falls in the same boat is Whalen who will also be 'senior' status by 2020, and having one of those three on the team I think would be good if any of them are up to it. It would certainly be good for one of them to be around for the WC in 2018 to help blood the new guards.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think that is not a good idea - this is not a 'participation' trophy thing, it is based on performance - you going to tell Michael Phelps, sorry, I know you are still the best in the world but it is time to let some younger guys into the pool? And especially with the time constraints on USA teams actually practicing, it is a huge benefit to be returning a core of players. On the men's side especially where a lot of the guys don't want to play, rewarding those who do is a good idea. And on the women's side, really, you want to tell Catchings that thanks very much but you played in 2004 and 2008, you can't play again. Or DT who after three Olympics was still the star of her fourth. Or Lisa Leslie?

Sure it is tough that some people never get chosen, and that others end up changing their nationality to get to the Olympics, but the pool of those players isn't all that large, and it is hard to really argue that they deserved a place on merits over someone else on the team.
As you've said. But also returning players are a boon to coaches. As you've said, time constraints make every practice hour precious. Coaches need familiarity with players for many reasons: Knowing a players strengths, weakness and personalities, helping to disseminate "coach speak" to the other players, installing offensive and defensive schemes, knowing how well certain players play with one another, setting rotations, knowing which players you can trust in certain on court circumstances. The list goes on and on. Limiting player appearances hurts not only the players who have earned it but coaches who have also earned and need a stable team and familiar players.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I don't see Sue or D returning. Age will be a factor but I also think that not having Geno as the HC will also be a major influence.

Both players could retire in the next 2 to 3 years. I think it is more possible that Sue will retire in the next 2 to 3 than D. After a while, surgeries and age win out. The body gets to a point it can no longer compete at the level needed for success.

Reaction Score
I'll pass on that; IMO if you are one of the Best, then you deserve a shot to make the team.

Personally, I am NOT a fan of including Professionals on the team, but we were all pushed to that when we had USA amateurs going up against professionals from other countries and losing. I understand WHY the change was made.

HOWEVER...if we can get rid of the idea of putting the BEST players on the team, then what I would like to see is 5 top Pros and 5 top College players selected by the committee, then have the coaching staff fill out the rest of the team with what is needed to run their scheme. If the Coaching staff wants to run a motion offense, they can back-fill with 2s and 3s; if a standard Pro set, an extra 4 & 5, etc. Yes, people will whine about potential cronyism/favoritism, but they whine now, so...BFHD.

That is what I would change; get the Amateurs more involved, and let the Coaches have a say on part of the team.

Reaction Score
I don't think Sue will return to play, but I can see her being part of the program; she's been the primary PG for so long that a transition will be needed (yes, I am well aware of Coach Staley's experience).

Dee is another story. Her expertise has never really been physical in nature; it is her vision, court awareness...pure FEEL for the game that make her what she is. In 2020 I expect that she will still be extremely valuable to the team, both on the court and in the locker room, and likely will be on the floor at crunch time.

Bottom line: With 5 seconds left and down by two, is there any player better "equipped" to have the ball in her hand than Dee? Is there anything scarier to an opposing coach than Dee dribbling at the top of the key, bouncing on the balls of her feet? That's like catching a glimpse of a Ninja out of the corner of your eye; you KNOW they wanted you to see them, and it will likely be the last thing that you see.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't see Sue or D returning. Age will be a factor but I also think that not having Geno as the HC will also be a major influence.

Both players could retire in the next 2 to 3 years. I think it is more possible that Sue will retire in the next 2 to 3 than D. After a while, surgeries and age win out. The body gets to a point it can no longer compete at the level needed for success.
Sue and D were both mentored in their first NT games by Dawn, who was the team leader and PG, so they have a long history with her and I think an abiding respect for what she gave them and the imperative that they pass that on to a new generation. And Dawn has been on the coaching staff twice since then and I am sure primarily working with the guards. While that is not quite the relationship they have with Geno, it is a strong bond, and if Dawn asked them to be available and they were physically able, I think they would feel a similar responsibility to her.

Reaction Score
What exactly is your reasoning behind that theory ? I always thought the premise was to field the best team , to win the gold medal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom