Looking Forward | The Boneyard

Looking Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand last night was a tough pill to swallow, but let's look ahead.

Facey has been an absolute ghost in conference play once again. Phil can play P&R D but is soft and an offensive liability. We have basically been playing 4 on 5 on offense for the majority of our games lately, and it shows.

I'm very excited to have Brimah back. He's no offensive warrior, but he shoots a high percentage and the defense has to respect him inside. He also bails DHam out a lot on his leaning aimless jumps towards the paint. I miss the big guy.

Adams also looked great last night aside from the last turnover. I was happy to see him drain a 3 and you could tell it gave him a boost in confidence. He's the real deal, I want to get him cutting and driving to the basket more going forward.

The season is not over, and I think we should still be the favorites to win the AAC tournament with Brimah back and SMU disqualified. Just gotta keep on trying to find our offensive stride.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I agree 100%. I think once we get Brimah back we'll be just fine (although I will say the margin for error is much thinner).

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. I think once we get Brimah back we'll be just fine (although I will say the margin for error is much thinner).

What makes you say that?

We're we any different/ better with brimah this year? In fact you could argue we've actually been better without him (not saying it's his fault).

I've seen that sentiment a number of times, that we'll be fine when beimah comes back. As if people forget the beginning of the season, or all of last year when we had him.

Edit: I'm not ripping brimah. Just don't see him as this game changing force and his absence is causing us to lose these games. We've played plenty lf stinkers with him in the lineup. There's no noticeable difference in how we play without him (except maybe d ham).

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
What makes you say that?

We're we any different/ better with brimah this year? In fact you could argue we've actually been better without him (not saying it's his fault).

I've seen that sentiment a number of times, that we'll be fine when beimah comes back. As if people forget the beginning of the season, or all of last year when we had him.

With Brimah in the lineup, we faced five P5 opponents (counting Gonzaga as P5-level). We averaged 72.8 PPG. In-conference this year, with no Brimah, against a softer schedule, we've averaged 65 PPG. That's almost eight more points per game. And it passes the eye test, too; the offense looked much smoother with Brimah.

Reaction Score
With Brimah in the lineup, we faced five P5 opponents (counting Gonzaga as P5-level). We averaged 72.8 PPG. In-conference this year, with no Brimah, against a softer schedule, we've averaged 65 PPG. That's almost eight more points per game. And it passes the eye test, too; the offense looked much smoother with Brimah.

Maybe this has been pointed out but Hamilton's offense really started to suffer after Brimah went out. A lot of those easy dump down passes and alley-oops to Brimah have turned into forced runners and off balanced jumpers in the lane that clank off the rim for Hamilton, or even worse turnovers when he has no where to pass.

Brimah is no savior but we've lost a couple close games since he's been out, and his presence certainly makes a difference of at least a couple points in my opinion.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Maybe this has been pointed out but Hamilton's offense really started to suffer after Brimah went out. A lot of those easy dump down passes and alley-oops to Brimah have turned into forced runners and off balanced jumpers in the lane that clank off the rim for Hamilton, or even worse turnovers when he has no where to pass.

Brimah is no savior but we've lost a couple close games since he's been out, and his presence certainly makes a difference of at least a couple points in my opinion.

I mentioned in another thread, Brimah doesn't have to "gear up" for alleyoops -- even Miller has to get a little bit of a running start to dunk. Brimah is tall enough and has long enough arms that he can react to what Hamilton does -- he doesn't have to know D-Ham is throwing him an oop until the ball is already in the air, he can get up to it quickly enough. As a result, D-Ham can wait and see what Brimah's defender does when he's in the lane; if the defender steps up to defend Hamilton, he can toss a lob, and if he hangs back, just put up a floater. I think that makes a huge difference, and it bears out in Hamilton's numbers with and without the big man.

Reaction Score

Yeah.

We'll be just fine.

We have 3 losses in the AAC already and we haven't even played our toughest league games yet (SMU 2 times, at Cincinnati, at Temple, at Memphis). It's gonna be AAC tourney or NIT for 2nd year in a row pretty soon. But we are fine. Nothing to see.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah.

We'll be just fine.

We have 3 losses in the AAC already and we haven't even played our toughest league games yet (SMU 2 times, at Cincinnati, at Temple, at Memphis). It's gonna be AAC tourney or NIT for 2nd year in a row pretty soon. But we are fine. Nothing to see.

You're allowed to say the sky is falling and the season's over and bitch and moan all you want, it's a free country.

Reaction Score
I understand last night was a tough pill to swallow, but let's look ahead.

Facey has been an absolute ghost in conference play once again. Phil can play P&R D but is soft and an offensive liability. We have basically been playing 4 on 5 on offense for the majority of our games lately, and it shows.

I'm very excited to have Brimah back. He's no offensive warrior, but he shoots a high percentage and the defense has to respect him inside. He also bails DHam out a lot on his leaning aimless jumps towards the paint. I miss the big guy.

One thing I question is our use of the 5 as the primary screener on offense. Phil or Amida are not offensive threats, so setting a high screen and rolling with them serves no purpose as the defense knows our guard is not going to hit them on the roll. So their man hard hedges and doubles the ball and our offense bogs down. We do it over and over again. Then we have to reset and the hilarity ensues. Why not use someone who is a threat like Miller or DHam as the screener to keep the defense honest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom