Looking for a younger sister! | The Boneyard

Looking for a younger sister!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I was pretty impressed when I first saw the story...I thought the guy must have just had an unbelievable shooting game...not so fast. Turns out the coach has a system that really makes a joke out of the game of basketball. You can read about it here...Grinnell System

Agree, but I wouldn't diminish his shooting ability because of the coach's problems.

Reaction Score
"Jack Taylor set a record, but it's an empty one."

I agree. Wonder what Geno would think of this system.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Agree, but I wouldn't diminish his shooting ability because of the coach's problems.

I don't need to bring up the coach's problem to diminish the shooting ability. he shot under 50%. We had ten players on our team with a better shooting average (before last night, haven't check the updated stats). ten, count 'em ten. There are literally hundreds of players who shoot over 50% for extended periods of time, and there are probably thousans, maybe ten of thosands of games when someone shoots over 50%. Add to that a system designed to get a player layups, and the shooting percentage goes from decent to mediocre.

Sorry, I agree with the writer, this is not a record to be celebrated.

That said, when the coach leaves his dsignated shooter at one end, counting on the fact that even five on four will have a lot of misses, then an uncontested layup, how much coaching ability do you need to say, OK, I'll play four on four , and have a defender back to defend the long outlet. Surely that has occurred to someone.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sorry, I agree with the writer, this is not a record to be celebrated.
Disagree. I think it's a fine record. And a very unique approach to winning games. He did win, right? I mean that's the point of coaching isn't it. To win games? Then his system worked.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
While I don't agree with the approach of going after a record for the sake of a record, I do think the approach has a strategic value in certain circumstances, such as when a team is up ten or so against an inferior opponent (thus, of not much value to UConn). A perfect example occurred yesterday, when Hampton had a 13 point margin with about ten minutes to go. Can a team like DePaul overcome a 13 point deficit? Well, they did. If I were the Hampton coach, I'd try this approach at that time. leave a defender back, DePaul will play you 5 on 4 and almost certainly score, but then, because you practiced, you have a full court pass to an open defender who should be able to make a layup. Maybe the pass is blown or the layup is missed on occasion, but you have a margin to play with. Your goal is to trade baskets most of the time. You have a margin, and you need that only if DePaul scores on just about every single possession.

If they decide to leave a defender back, that's fine too. Now they are playing 4 on 4 offense, something they've probably never practiced, while you are playing 4 on 4 defense, something you've practiced. Use this approach sparingly (how often do you have a late ten point margin over a better opponent), and they might not spend any meaningful time preparing for it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
While I don't agree with the approach of going after a record for the sake of a record, I do think the approach has a strategic value in certain circumstances, such as when a team is up ten or so against an inferior opponent (thus, of not much value to UConn). A perfect example occurred yesterday, when Hampton had a 13 point margin with about ten minutes to go. Can a team like DePaul overcome a 13 point deficit? Well, they did. If I were the Hampton coach, I'd try this approach at that time. leave a defender back, DePaul will play you 5 on 4 and almost certainly score, but then, because you practiced, you have a full court pass to an open defender who should be able to make a layup. Maybe the pass is blown or the layup is missed on occasion, but you have a margin to play with. Your goal is to trade baskets most of the time. You have a margin, and you need that only if DePaul scores on just about every single possession.

If they decide to leave a defender back, that's fine too. Now they are playing 4 on 4 offense, something they've probably never practiced, while you are playing 4 on 4 defense, something you've practiced. Use this approach sparingly (how often do you have a late ten point margin over a better opponent), and they might not spend any meaningful time preparing for it.

Or play that way the whole game and don't be behind by 13 points late in the game. hmmm? Remember the idea is to win.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I do remember the goal is to win. That's why I propose it in this circumstance. It is unlikely to be the optimal way to build a leap, or more people would adopt it. Grinnell has a good record, but they lost several games last year. We don't really know if they would have had a better record with a more conventional offense.

I'm arguing it is a good way to ensure a win, even if the expected outcome is to lose ground.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Sonny, I'm glad you posted the link to the article. My first reaction when I saw the score was: How does a college team score 104 points and still get steamrolled? My second thought was: How does a school named Faith Baptist Bible, which has to have a tiny enrollment, score 104 points? The article answered them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom