looking for a good dribbling drill video | The Boneyard

looking for a good dribbling drill video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...my daughter is 11 ( 12 on 9/11 ) and we have a goal we'd like to reach... It turns out she wants to get a little more serious about developing her game on the court (at a lean mean 4'2 and 70 lbs... yeah she's a shrimp, but a bulldog on the defensive end .. tough as nails).. she and I have decided that we'll put in some extra work to get her handle right ( right hand is overly dominant at the moment.. mechanics need total overhaul )... We've already got a plan of action with cone drills that we'll do at least 3 times a week this Summer... along with lay up drills, shooting drills, and free throws... Does anybody know of any good vids out there that could also help?

Reaction Score
Will do.. God willing, you'll see her name in the sports section of the Norwalk Hour closer to the end of this decade... As long as we stay committed I'm sure it will happen... She's a pretty grounded kid ... and hard worker....

Reaction Score
...my daughter is 11 ( 12 on 9/11 ) and we have a goal we'd like to reach... It turns out she wants to get a little more serious about developing her game on the court (at a lean mean 4'2 and 70 lbs... yeah she's a shrimp, but a bulldog on the defensive end .. tough as nails).. she and I have decided that we'll put in some extra work to get her handle right ( right hand is overly dominant at the moment.. mechanics need total overhaul )... We've already got a plan of action with cone drills that we'll do at least 3 times a week this Summer... along with lay up drills, shooting drills, and free throws... Does anybody know of any good vids out there that could also help?
Go to Ihoops.com It is a site put together by the NBA. It has a coaching section with drills to do. I've been coaching 10-12 year old kids for over 20 years and I would tell you a DAILY10 minute routine of 10 push ups, crunches, jumping jacks, sliding north south/ east west, ect. is both reasonable at this age, and effective. Change up the drills (where the hands are placed on the push ups every 6 months or so) It would give her 3650 push ups a year. At her size, limit her shooting to 10-12 feet away because proper form last a life time. Shoot farther away when she is strong enough to shoot without changing her form. Good luck

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I coach 11 year old girls, and we do TONS of dribbling drills. The best I've found is to do lots of two ball drills. This way they work on both hands at once and it really helps with overall eye-hand coordination.

Some of the best I've found include:
1. Get into almost a defensive position, legs bent, back upright, chest out. Elbows bent, strong wrists. Dribble both balls slightly to each side, making sure to use a strong dribble. Try to bounce each at the same rhythm, then switch it up so you are alternating bouncing rhythms. You can stand in front of her and hold up numbers on your hand that she has to call out, so she practices keeping her head up.
2. Practice doing five dribbles and then working in a crossover dribble in front, crossing over each ball at the same time but trying not to hit the other. If she gets good at this do behind the back.
3. Dribble one ball while trying to throw the other up with one hand and catching. This is a great way to practice keeping your eyes up.
4. Do two ball dribbling at first walking forward, then trying to go at game spped. Use the lines of the court to practice doing a stutter step and then pushing forward.
5. Use cones to practice dribbling at speed, then crossing both balls over to practice changing direction.
6. Use a blindfold to see how well she can do these drills without looking. My girls really like this!

Good luck! And search for Moriah Jefferson on youtube to show her what hard work can get her :)

Reaction Score
Magic Johnson has a DVD out, included Diana, Carmelo Anthony, Rip Hamilton and covers all skills.

It's pretty good and can probably be found cheaply on ebay.

Reaction Score
When my daughter was 11 these are the drills we did pretty much everyday as a warm up. It really helped her. I have a link to the video below.

Reaction Score

on the internet look for Pistol Pete Maravich basketball drills. Great player with best dribbling and passing skills. You can preview some of the video and your daughter may be amazed at his skill level.

Reaction Score
The best shooting skills video I have ever seen is made by Tom Nordland. Swish22 is his website. He just completed his 3rd video which is on free throws. He has been to CT several times over the last 10 years for clinics, which I have observed. No matter what age or level of skill, your shooting will improve with his teaching. Check out youtube for some of his clips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom