Looking back at the 2011 National Championship run | The Boneyard

Looking back at the 2011 National Championship run

Reaction Score
Article in the New Haven Register with quotes from Calhoun, Kemba and some of the other players. Good read. Puts a smile on your face reading this. 10 years ago already? Time flies.

“Was it magic? Yeah,” recalled Jim Calhoun, who was in his 25th and penultimate season as UConn’s Hall of Fame head coach. “You could see it on the floor, you could start feeling it. It’s a funny thing to see. We, at times, felt invincible.”

Alternate free access: UConn’s magical title run recalled 10 years later by Kemba Walker, Jim Calhoun, Alex Oriakhi, others

Reaction Score
Honestly - the single greatest 11-game run in college basketball history. Bar none... Led by one of the greatest players and ambassadors UConn basketball has ever had in Kemba Walker.

I will forever be thankful for Kemba being a Husky. Although we have had many great players who have gone on to do special things in the NBA and other walks of life, I have always felt that Kemba, Emeka and Caron are the three guys who were most emblematic of the best of what Jim Calhoun wanted UConn to be. You can add Ray Allen to that list if you want, as well.

Kemba was the ultimate leader... and I will forever be amazed at how he put that team, our university and the entire state of Connecticut on his back and dragged us to the Big East and then National Championship.

I will never forget how he willed himself to stay on the court through absolute exhaustion in that BE Championship game versus Louisville... and then make the most important play of the game, drawing the defense to him after shaking off not 1 but 2 defenders at the 3-point line, driving, drawing their big man Jennings to him, and instead of forcing a lay up that would have been blocked (like so many of our guards seem to do relentlessly over the last few years), dropping it off to Jeremy Lamb for the open layup... and the last lead of the game that we would not relinquish. That was quintessential Kemba Walker.

I just re-watched the end of that game again... and it still gives me chills. We were so lucky to have him on our team and at our University for 3 years. Thank you Kemba!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104
Top Bottom