Looking back at a local AAU team....how are they doing now? | The Boneyard

Looking back at a local AAU team....how are they doing now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Many years ago...maybe 16 or so....the Starters had an excellent age group team....age 10 or 11.
Several went on to D1 scholarships.

What are they up to now?

Laura Menty: a Mom-to-be....works in the athletic department at Siena....she played hoops there.
Claire Sullivan...Fulbright scholar teaching in Vietnam...will be entering University of Washington's law school in September....played at Lehigh
Brie Edwards....working to be a chiropractor in Atlanta...played at Monmouth
Shamika Jackson....teaches PE at a middle school inManchester...went to East Cathlic in the same town. Played at BC...transferred to Southern Ct.....won a D2 championhip there [I think].
Geno took a fairly serious look at Shamika at one point.

Success stories all.

One of the very best high school games I ever saw pitted Brie's Suffield Academy against Claire's Choate team in the New England Prep semifinals. OT game...SA won...Brie and Claire had a serious duel in the sun...both going for mid-twenties...back and forth....tremendously entertaining.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nice they are all doing well.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
best in-state AAU team ever... Shamrocks was a close 2nd with Ciera Baker and Shoni Grey, Sharnice Beal and the kid from Springfield (cant think of her name) but Tina Charles ate her lunch at the Hall of Fame classic.

Shamika Jackson's HS & AAU years were the best basketball I ever witnessed... I miss those days :(

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Can't remember her name either...went to Springfield Central....not sure if she ever actually played D1 ball.

Nicole Somebody????

Reaction Score
Personally, the Starters team with Sales & Damond was better. Both were named to the USA Today 1st Team (photos and all).

Necole Evans was dynamic. I believe she went to Seton Hall.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Personally, the Starters team with Sales & Damond was better. Both were named to the USA Today 1st Team (photos and all).

Necole Evans was dynamic. I believe she went to Seton Hall.
wow... I wasnt following AAU back then, sounds like a great team

Reaction Score
Sales and Domond were never on the same AAU team. Although they were in the same grade, AAU went by age back then, so Domond was always a "year ahead". Domond and Jen Rizzotti played together, along with 2-3 other d1 players. Best state AAU team may have been Marci Glenney's; eight d1 players and a 9th went to Bentley.

Best AAU team ever (in terms of future talent) may have been the Minnesota team where all 5 starters played in the WNBA at one point. Kelly and Coco Miller both went to Georgia, Carolyn Moos (former fiance of Jason Collins) went to Stanford and Maren Walseth went to Penn State. Can't remember the 5th, but you'd be hard pressed to find 5 players that good.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Sharkey... wasn't there a young lady with that last name locally who was pretty good. I seem to be remembering the crowd saying Sharrrrrrkey.

Reaction Score
Sales and Domond were never on the same AAU team. Although they were in the same grade, AAU went by age back then, so Domond was always a "year ahead". Domond and Jen Rizzotti played together, along with 2-3 other d1 players. Best state AAU team may have been Marci Glenney's; eight d1 players and a 9th went to Bentley.

Best AAU team ever (in terms of future talent) may have been the Minnesota team where all 5 starters played in the WNBA at one point. Kelly and Coco Miller both went to Georgia, Carolyn Moos (former fiance of Jason Collins) went to Stanford and Maren Walseth went to Penn State. Can't remember the 5th, but you'd be hard pressed to find 5 players that good.
If I remember right, the game I coached against the Starters back then, Rizzotti did not play and both of them were on the court. They beat us by 50+ and they backed off in the second half!

Didn't Walseth play for the Starters her junior year?

Reaction Score
Domond and Sales never played AAU together; Walseth moved to Simsbury during spring of her junior year but returned to Minnesota after her HS academic year ended to play for the North Tartan squad in Minnesota.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If I remember right, the game I coached against the Starters back then, Rizzotti did not play and both of them were on the court. They beat us by 50+ and they backed off in the second half!

Didn't Walseth play for the Starters her junior year?
getting beat by 50 may seem like they were out there together ;)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Maybe you are thinking of Kelley Siemon of Notre Dame who was a third round WNBA pickt he same year as the Miller twins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom