Looking back : 2010 UConn Baseball Team | The Boneyard

Looking back : 2010 UConn Baseball Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
After watching Stony Brook book their ticket to Omaha this weekend, it got me thinking back to that 2010 team we had that was absolutely stacked with talent and we even got to host a regional that year. But unfortunately, we couldn't get it done. But thinking back to that team, it has to be the most talent team from the Northeast in a very long time and really could have challenged any team in the country in terms of talent (I think our one weakness on that team was pitching depth). Here is a reminder of that team and where they were drafted in the majors:

1 . 2B Pierre LePage (13rd round)
2. SS Nick Ahmed (2nd round)
3. CF George Springer (1st round)
4. 1B Mike Nemeth (21st round)
5. 3B Mike Olt (1st round)
6. DH LJ Mazzilli (9th round)
7. C Doug Elliott (35th round)
8. LF Billy Ferriter (not yet drafted...should return for sr year and be drafted in first 20 rounds)
9. RF John Andreoli (17th round)

SP1 : Matt Barnes (1st round)
SP2 : Greg Nappo (18th round)
SP3 : Eliot Glynn (39th round)

Closer : Kevin Vance (19th round)

RP1 : Scott Oberg (15th round)
RP2 : Dave Fischer (18th round)
RP3 : Dan Feehan (undrafted)
RP4 : Robert Van Woert (undrafted)
RP 5 : Pat Butler (undrafted)

That offense was absolutely stacked! Our #9 hitter was a 17th round draft pick for God's sake! And our lowest drafted top of the order guys in LePage and Nemeth, while not big MLB prospects due to their size/athleticism, were prototypical college baseball players who were perfect for their spots (LePage as a leadoff hitter and Nemeth as a contact hitter--almost a .400 hitter). That offense was asboultely stacked. And the front end of our pitching staff and bullpen was great as well. As I said, our weakness was the depth in our SP and bulllpen.

Oh what could have been! I really think we could have made some noise in Omaha that year if we had only put it together. That may be the most talented baseball team we ever have in a UConn uniform!

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
That team was Omaha bound if they didn't run into the eventual champions in the Super Regionals, IMO.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
That team was Omaha bound if they didn't run into the eventual champions in the Super Regionals, IMO.

You are thinking of the 2011 team (losing to South Carolina in the Super Regionals). In 2010 we lost in the regionals even though we hosted them. We lost to Oregon twice (we had no offense and our defense let us down as Oregon played small ball). Oregon ended up losing to Florida State in our regional.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
You are thinking of the 2011 team (losing to South Carolina in the Super Regionals). In 2010 we lost in the regionals even though we hosted them. We lost to Oregon twice (we had no offense and our defense let us down as Oregon played small ball). Oregon ended up losing to Florida State in our regional.
Honestly I read the title of the thread and skimmed the post (read right over the roster because I could probably name the starting lineups from the last 3 years of the top of my head lol). I also just had a similar moment to what your OP was regarding the 2010 team but with the 2011 team while I was at the Big East Tournament this year. Both of those teams were crazy good. But now that you have pointed out my obvious blunder, I agree that the 2010 team never quite put it together and could have gone far if they did. I think having Mazzilli sidelined with an injury most of the year hurt. If they could have developed him as the DH all season (granted Vance held his own at the plate) that could have helped a bit.

Still, we should have beaten Oregon the first game until all those misplayed bunts happened in the (I believe) 8th innings. They definitely could have scrapped their way out of the regional but I don't think Nappo and Barnes were quite ready to perform at the Super Regional level that year. Sure they were both good enough to have a good game but the following year I would have been confident with them on the mound against anyone in the country.

Reaction Score
Interesting how 2010 was the first season I started to notice UConn's baseball program, the history of the team is actually pretty good, frequent visits to the NCAA Regionals, plays decent competition, but I will admit when I first saw Pierre LePage play, I was very impressed at the guy, always got on base and pretty quick, surprised the Cubs haven't called him up yet.

Reaction Score
Interesting how 2010 was the first season I started to notice UConn's baseball program, the history of the team is actually pretty good, frequent visits to the NCAA Regionals, plays decent competition, but I will admit when I first saw Pierre LePage play, I was very impressed at the guy, always got on base and pretty quick, surprised the Cubs haven't called him up yet.

I think he was recently released...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger