Looking at Potential OC Candidates: Charley Molnar | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looking at Potential OC Candidates: Charley Molnar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I get ya... there is talent out there but those were also different times. We just had an OC (or three) who never called a play before - not sure we can go that route again.
If Diaco has to stay, which he is, then Benedict needs to be a manager/leader and tell Diaco that he lets the OC run the offense and call his plays. Given that the last 3 OC's were all offensive people, I would take the leap for someone young that understands game flow and play calling. At worst, you get the same win total but with a more inventive product in the field.

The interaction that was caught on TV between Corley and Diaco during the Temple game confirmed just how much Diaco was running the O. That has to change and hopefully Benedict made that a condition in his end of season review and that Diaco not doing it becomes a cause for firing.

Reaction Score
If Diaco has to stay, which he is, then Benedict needs to be a manager/leader and tell Diaco that he lets the OC run the offense and call his plays. Given that the last 3 OC's were all offensive people, I would take the leap for someone young that understands game flow and play calling. At worst, you get the same win total but with a more inventive product in the field.

The interaction that was caught on TV between Corley and Diaco during the Temple game confirmed just how much Diaco was running the O. That has to change and hopefully Benedict made that a condition in his end of season review and that Diaco not doing it becomes a cause for firing.

That look Corley gave Diaco was pure gold. If I was the OC I'd be up in the booth with Diaco's mic turned off

Reaction Score
If we look at things objectively, and how uncommitted to spending the $$$ to be committed to building a P5 level football team, it looks like we're going the cheap route.. strike lightning in the bottle, get a re-tread for a few years who loves the game and wants another shot at the big time and would take a little less $$$ to get there...

Kinda reminds me of my cost cutting Yankees...

It could just very well work out for us when you think about it...

IF one of these guys ends up as our OC it would still be a step up from the mess we've been through since Edsall left...

Reaction Score
Molnar seems like another bad fruit rotting on the ground from a really suspect coaching tree.

Reaction Score
If we look at things objectively, and how uncommitted to spending the $$$ to be committed to building a P5 level football team, it looks like we're going the cheap route.. strike lightning in the bottle, get a re-tread for a few years who loves the game and wants another shot at the big time and would take a little less $$$ to get there...

Kinda reminds me of my cost cutting Yankees...

It could just very well work out for us when you think about it...

IF one of these guys ends up as our OC it would still be a step up from the mess we've been through since Edsall left...
The only difference is that the Yankees don't have re-tread's looking for lightening in a bottle. They actually have legitimate prospects. This is just bleak

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
Tell me who's coaching career started like this -
"at Columbia where he served as secondary and special teams coach for the freshman team. The next year he was outside linebackers and strong safeties coach for the varsity team. In 1992 he went to the University of New Hampshire as the running backs coach. He left to become the defensive coordinator at the Johns Hopkins University for one season. He returned to his alma mater as the running backs coach for the next three seasons (1994–96)."

What if then told you -
" He was promoted to offensive coordinator at some small university (1999–2006). The offenses averaged better than 400 yards per game of total offense in seven of his eight seasons[4] and more than 30 points per game in his final four seasons.

In 2004, the school broke 29 offensive school records; compiling 5,446 yards of total offense and scoring 40 or more points in seven games. Their best offensive output was in 2005 when the W's finished second nationally in total offense (493.5 ypg), third in scoring (41.7 ppg) and fifth in passing (300.1 ypg). They completed the season with an 11–2 record.

He was named the College Assistant Coach of the Year by the Gridiron Club of Greater Boston following the 2005 season in addition to being selected as “one of college football’s hottest coaches” by American Football Monthly."

Got a guess yet?

Chip Kelly. Started as a D guy and had some of the most prolific offenses ever.

Give me young, inventive and energetic. The ME coach has it.

You don't leave a head coaching job at the second best level in college to take a coordinator job on a sinking ship. Diaco is going to be on the serious hot seat next year, not going to be easy to get a coach to join that type of situation.

Reaction Score
You don't leave a head coaching job at the second best level in college to take a coordinator job on a sinking ship. Diaco is going to be on the serious hot seat next year, not going to be easy to get a coach to join that type of situation.
Disagree. U Maine is not that great a gig. If he takes the O from 128 to even mid 70's, he will get noticed by a lot of people. If things get no better, he can fall back on lack of talent. Win win step up with at least adoubled salary.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Technically you are a candidate. The names he brings up might be candidates or might not be. Should we just not post any names to discuss?

I would think anyone with ties to Diaco is a candidate. My hope is DB is making him go outside "the family".

I think anyone Bob coached with should be disqualified automatically. The OC must be somebody who can tell HCBD to bleep off.

Reaction Score
Can we just pick someone from the Art Briles coaching tree and call it done? Seriously, I won't trust Diaco to call a play never mind an OC.

DB needs to make this hire, not Diaco. Also, DB should tell this guy he is coach in waiting. We know it will be just matter of time before Diaco will show his true coaching capabilities. This new OC will be the next UConn coach soon enough.

Reaction Score
they had the guy originally for head coach.. TJ Weist would have enough sense to hire an excellent coordinator for his team. He managed to take a shiite show for 3 wins at the end of the season.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
These are Matt's football dreams. The real candidates are: i) Frank Verducci, ii) Mike Cummings or iii) Bob Diaco himself.

I expect Diaco to conclude that he is the man to take over as OC.

Excellent strategy - BD become OC, UConn hires a new HC and he immediately throws BD up in the booth and turns off his phone/headset

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Bob Diaco is Charley Molnar 2.0. Molnar came to UMASS, made insane comments and then tanked the program. He is the guy I have compared Diaco to from Day 1. Molnar was run out of UMASS and hopefully he never sets foot in CT again.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I liked his salary... $560m+

Limegrover made $566k his final season at Minnesota. Less now at Penn State. I'm guessing he'd get the Penn State OC job if Moorhead gets a HC job. But if not, I really like him for UConn. He even fits Diaco's power running game mold.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

How can you threaten to fire the guy when he can obviously see right now that nobody has the balls to do it because of the big bad boogeyman buyout? Diablo's got this administration by the short hairs and he's reveling in it, along with his agent, who snookered everybody in Storrs.

Threaten to fire this turd and all you'll get is wild laughter and a contract waved in your face.

Reaction Score
The only difference is that the Yankees don't have re-tread's looking for lightening in a bottle. They actually have legitimate prospects. This is just bleak
If only we can find a taker for Chase Headley then maybe sign Justin Turner to play 3B (cost effective move in the Bronx) or give one of the youngsters a shot..

Reaction Score
If only we can find a taker for Chase Headley then maybe sign Justin Turner to play 3B (cost effective move in the Bronx) or give one of the youngsters a shot..
Hey someone took McCann off the Yankees hands..there is hope for Headley to move on now to. The day the Yankees jettison Randy Levine is the day they will get better again. That guy forgot that it's the everyday fan who fills 90% of the seats in a stadium...JUST LIKE Herbst and McHugh!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
How can you threaten to fire the guy when he can obviously see right now that nobody has the balls to do it because of the big bad boogeyman buyout? Diablo's got this administration by the short hairs and he's reveling in it, along with his agent, who snookered everybody in Storrs.

Threaten to fire this turd and all you'll get is wild laughter and a contract waved in your face.

I don't dispute that Bob knows he won't be fired this year. I don't think that UConn has no leverage though. Diaco absolutely has to redeem himself next year to make himself marketable going forward. This failure will set back his expected career path significantly. How UConn treats him will make a difference in who might hire him. If Benedict says that he refused to consider OC's that he hadn't worked with, or changing the approach that failed in 2016, that may scare off other schools and ADs. It's in Diaco's interest to cooperate with what his AD is requesting to appear to be a team player.

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way. No matter who BD chooses to bring in for a visit re the OC job, he'll be spending the majority of the interview time in DB's office.

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way. No matter who BD chooses to bring in for a visit re the OC job, he'll be spending the majority of the interview time in DB's office.
Nos at the end of the day when Diaco publicly started this season that he spent very little time with the offense drawing up their gameplay and involved with the play calling he set himself up IMHO. It will be interesting to see if this hire comes from outside of his circle will he suddenly become involved in the offense or will he stay status quo like he has for 3 years.

Reaction Score
That look Corley gave Diaco was pure gold. If I was the OC I'd be up in the booth with Diaco's mic turned off

Do you have a snap shot of this.... would love to see the look :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom