Looking at Potential OC Candidates: Charley Molnar | The Boneyard

Looking at Potential OC Candidates: Charley Molnar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are these actual candidates or just potential guys that Matt dreamed up?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Are these actual candidates or just potential guys that Matt dreamed up?

These are Matt's football dreams. The real candidates are: i) Frank Verducci, ii) Mike Cummings or iii) Bob Diaco himself.

I expect Diaco to conclude that he is the man to take over as OC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hey - at least he's trying to mine connections. I'd much rather read these than the "let's get Lane Kiffin" posts.

Okay, then Matt just needs to play one degree of separation from Diaco. That's as far as it will get, one degree.

Reaction Score
I sent this to Matt yesterday via twitter. I had gone back and took a look at who he had coached with in the past (that's how all the guys on this staff are here now) to see if anyone stuck out. The 2 obvious guys he hasn't brought to UConn so far are Quinn and Molnar.

Reaction Score
These are Matt's football dreams. The real candidates are: i) Frank Verducci, ii) Mike Cummings or iii) Bob Diaco himself.

I expect Diaco to conclude that he is the man to take over as OC.

Words are important. Unless these names are actually being leaked to him then he can't definitively say that they are candidates.

Reaction Score
Words are important. Unless these names are actually being leaked to him then he can't definitively say that they are candidates.

Technically you are a candidate. The names he brings up might be candidates or might not be. Should we just not post any names to discuss?

I would think anyone with ties to Diaco is a candidate. My hope is DB is making him go outside "the family".

Reaction Score
IF Diaco lets them run their offense, either would be fine without breaking the bank. I like their youth, their hunger, their creativity and their overall philosophies. I bet they both know how to recruit and relate to recruits real well. One of them will be really successful in a P5 job in about 10 years.

Reaction Score
You lost me... are you talking about their HC (Harasymiak) or their OC (Coen)?
HC Harasymiak. Next logical step for his coaching career is OC/Associate Head Coach at a G5.

Reaction Score
I sent this to Matt yesterday via twitter. I had gone back and took a look at who he had coached with in the past (that's how all the guys on this staff are here now) to see if anyone stuck out. The 2 obvious guys he hasn't brought to UConn so far are Quinn and Molnar.
Who's to say Diaco didn't contact them right from the start but was turned down. Look who eventually made up that first Diaco staff and wonder who was contacted but didn't bite.

Reaction Score
Who was the coach that left before the first Diaco season even started because he made some statement about bringing God into the huddle or something like that. Where is that guy now and how did he fare? They might have been better off with an assistant asking for divine intervention.

Reaction Score
He's almost an all defensive background guy except for GA stint?
Tell me who's coaching career started like this -
"at Columbia where he served as secondary and special teams coach for the freshman team. The next year he was outside linebackers and strong safeties coach for the varsity team. In 1992 he went to the University of New Hampshire as the running backs coach. He left to become the defensive coordinator at the Johns Hopkins University for one season. He returned to his alma mater as the running backs coach for the next three seasons (1994–96)."

What if then told you -
" He was promoted to offensive coordinator at some small university (1999–2006). The offenses averaged better than 400 yards per game of total offense in seven of his eight seasons[4] and more than 30 points per game in his final four seasons.

In 2004, the school broke 29 offensive school records; compiling 5,446 yards of total offense and scoring 40 or more points in seven games. Their best offensive output was in 2005 when the W's finished second nationally in total offense (493.5 ypg), third in scoring (41.7 ppg) and fifth in passing (300.1 ypg). They completed the season with an 11–2 record.

He was named the College Assistant Coach of the Year by the Gridiron Club of Greater Boston following the 2005 season in addition to being selected as “one of college football’s hottest coaches” by American Football Monthly."

Got a guess yet?

Chip Kelly. Started as a D guy and had some of the most prolific offenses ever.

Give me young, inventive and energetic. The ME coach has it.

Reaction Score
Technically you are a candidate. The names he brings up might be candidates or might not be. Should we just not post any names to discuss?

I would think anyone with ties to Diaco is a candidate. My hope is DB is making him go outside "the family".

A candidate is someone who UConn is actively considering. Someone who is actually in the running.

Reaction Score
Who was the coach that left before the first Diaco season even started because he made some statement about bringing God into the huddle or something like that. Where is that guy now and how did he fare?

Ernest Jones and he's @ Morgan State

Reaction Score
Don't worry guys, I am the offensive coordinator for a HS passing league. I'll put my name in the hat and we'll be set.

Reaction Score
Tell me who's coaching career started like this -
"at Columbia where he served as secondary and special teams coach for the freshman team. The next year he was outside linebackers and strong safeties coach for the varsity team. In 1992 he went to the University of New Hampshire as the running backs coach. He left to become the defensive coordinator at the Johns Hopkins University for one season. He returned to his alma mater as the running backs coach for the next three seasons (1994–96)."

What if then told you -
" He was promoted to offensive coordinator at some small university (1999–2006). The offenses averaged better than 400 yards per game of total offense in seven of his eight seasons[4] and more than 30 points per game in his final four seasons.

In 2004, the school broke 29 offensive school records; compiling 5,446 yards of total offense and scoring 40 or more points in seven games. Their best offensive output was in 2005 when the W's finished second nationally in total offense (493.5 ypg), third in scoring (41.7 ppg) and fifth in passing (300.1 ypg). They completed the season with an 11–2 record.

He was named the College Assistant Coach of the Year by the Gridiron Club of Greater Boston following the 2005 season in addition to being selected as “one of college football’s hottest coaches” by American Football Monthly."

Got a guess yet?

Chip Kelly. Started as a D guy and had some of the most prolific offenses ever.

Give me young, inventive and energetic. The ME coach has it.

I get ya... there is talent out there at lower levels but those were also different times. We just had an OC (or three) who never called a play before - not sure we can go that route again (football wise yes, perception wise outside industry questionable).

Reaction Score
I get ya... there is talent out there at lower levels but those were also different times. We just had an OC (or three) who never called a play before - not sure we can go that route again (football wise yes, perception wise outside industry questionable).

If "experienced playcaller" is not part of the job description I will lose my damn mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom