Looking ahead | The Boneyard

Looking ahead

Reaction Score
This year ended a lot like it began. We are starved for shooters that can consistently knock down shots. We leaned heavily on Bouknight, but at this stage of his career he is an average shooter, and below average 3-point shooter. (32% career from 3). We had games where Cole, and Polley got hot from outside, but the consistency was truly lacking. Our roster gets quite young next year, and unless we are surprised and get a few guys that become consistent shooters, we will face the same frustrating results. That means shooting droughts that last 4-8 minutes during games.

COMING BACK:

Gaffney
Cole
Martin
Akok
Springs
Sanogo
Jackson

COMING IN:

Hawkins
Diggins
Johnson

LIKELY OR FOR SURE DEPARTING:

Polley
Carlton
Whalley - would like to see him return, but unknown at this point
Adams
Bouknight - should return, but pretty much 0 chance

PROJECTED STARTING LINE UP:

Gaffney
Jackson
Martin
Cole
Sanogo

***- Could see freshman in the mix

GAFFNEY:

He is a stable PG, could offer an opportunity for Cole to become a shooting guard, is he a NCAA Tournament winning guard? Not unless his game takes a quantum leap.

COLE:

He will be the leader of this team. If he can find a way to become a knockdown 40% three-point shooter, and more efficient overall on offense and shot selection, we will have a better offense.

MARTIN:

His offense took a major hit with Bouknight on the floor. He is a tough physical player that showed he can hit some 3's and mix it up inside. Has to become a better finisher inside. I think his offensive contribution will improve without Bouknight.

JACKSON:

Obviously athletic. He was good for an ooh and ahh moment in most games. He has a lot of work to do on his shot. He not only shot poorly, but his misses were so bad at times it made you scratch your head. He also relies too much on his athleticism, and is often behind the player he is guarding, and I call him Hackson. He is a foul a minute, and has to get a better court presence. It is likely from immaturity, and hopefully he grows. I'm not sold yet what he brings. Seems like the potential is there, but I need to see more. If he becomes what most think he will, and a good chunk of that is on display next year, he can really make a difference. If he doesn't we could be in trouble.

SANOGO:

Probably the most skilled freshman big man we have ever had. Where can he take his game next year? He is poised to be a 15/10 guy. If he grows into that, he might be gone after next year. He has an NBA body already, and a skill set, complete with NBA footwork, and dexterity with either hand. If his maturation progress reaches that level next year, he will be our best player. Has to learn to guard without fouling. He has the skill set to do so, but if he becomes our best player, and still foul prone we will suffer the consequences.

AKOK:

One word sums him up. Mystery! He appeared healthy, and Hurley was working him into the mix. Had 8 quick points in a game, and mysteriously disappeared the rest of the season. Is he hurt? Lingering achilles issues? Dog house? Not good enough? I have no idea what to expect from him next year, other than more than this year. He becomes a wild card. He is going to be a reasonable contributor or he is going to become Ater Majok.

SPRINGS:

Obviously he wasn't ready for playing time this year. Not sure if he gets much next year. He looks like a potential transfer candidate to me, especially not having to sit out. It is clear with Johnson coming in, and the potential for Clingan coming in the following year his opportunity here is not looking advantageous for him.

THE FRESHMAN:

Hawkins may be the most needed. He apparently can knock down shots. If he can he will be getting a lot of minutes starting or otherwise. Diggins will get a chance to get minutes, and Johnson at 6'10" has seen his stock on the rise. If he proves worthy there will be minutes for him.

FURTHER ADDITIONS:

Hurley will have some room to add players. If Whalley indeed moves on, we have just 10 rostered players, losing 5 from this season with 3 freshman coming in. There are currently 9 top 50 players undecided. Right now we are not in a good spot with any of them. There is one top 51-99 prospect, we are uninvolved. Then from 100-150 there are 3, none of which we are close with. That means Whalley is certainly a coveted player if both sides decide to make it happen. There should be a lot of movement of players with not having to sit out as a transfer. We have no players leaving after next year because they are out of eligibility so we may be better served doing nothing, and keep options open for better opportunities. If we do look to bring a transfer in it has to be a knock down shooter. That is what we need most.

CONCLUSION:

We will have some quality depth. We need shooters. Can this roster produce them? I don't think we have that answer right now. Most will be expecting us to sizzle next year, as the appearance is we have turned the corner. I don't think that is the case yet. I think we are in the turn, not around it. There is no doubt the roster is more talented, but is that talent ready to move us up to the next level? My gut says no right now, but the potential is there to prove otherwise, but to do so we would need a lot to happen. If we can keep Sanogo around beyond next year, and bring in another high profile class, we should be rounding that corner the year after next. There is no doubt that change is in the air. We are an exciting team with a deeper and more talented roster, we have to keep growing.

Reaction Score
Sanago will be the go to guy next year
Needs to develop a mid range game.
Also needs to work on his court vision when doubled and kick the ball out to the open man

Reaction Score
Until we get more shooters/scorers, we will continue to be easy to prepare for and defend. Our margin for error in games against good teams will be so razor thin that it will be our downfall just like this year.

Reaction Score
Shooting is like a deodorant. It makes offenses look better and covers up a lot of warts.

Reaction Score
If he’s interested, I‘d consider Rich Kelly (former QU guard from Shelton who played a little at BC) for that one grad year, just as a shooting option to have. No harm done to future recruiting and he has deep range.

Reaction Score
Team has soo many needs, but a PG leader should be priority.

Reaction Score
It’s really hard to project how good this team will be next year - Jackson, Akok, Gaffney, and even Sanogo to an extent are all wild cards, and there are almost no guarantees when it comes to the freshmen. Cole and Martin are the only real knowns in this group.

There’s a realistic chance that next season is rough, but it’s nice that their high-upside players are all freshmen and sophomores. By comparison, a few years ago they were missing the tourney entirely with a bunch of juniors and seniors.

Reaction Score
It’s really hard to project how good this team will be next year - Jackson, Akok, Gaffney, and even Sanogo to an extent are all wild cards, and there are almost no guarantees when it comes to the freshmen. Cole and Martin are the only real knowns in this group.

There’s a realistic chance that next season is rough, but it’s nice that their high-upside players are all freshmen and sophomores. By comparison, a few years ago they were missing the tourney entirely with a bunch of juniors and seniors.

I think that is very fair, and I agree. If everything goes right, it's a top 25 team, if everything goes wrong it is an NIT team. Usually, when that is the case it ends up being somewhere between the two, which looks a lot like this year.

Reaction Score
Things are getting a lot better here at UConn. Sometimes you have to step back and look at some data.

Please Pin this for the people here freaking out and questioning if Hurley is the right guy for the job. The trajectory is crystal clear

Reaction Score
The starting 5 you mentioned cannot shoot very well at all. Which is concerning. We need to recruit some shooters asap. Hawkins isn’t enough

temery

What?
Reaction Score
This year ended a lot like it began. We are starved for shooters that can consistently knock down shots. We leaned heavily on Bouknight, but at this stage of his career he is an average shooter, and below average 3-point shooter. (32% career from 3). We had games where Cole, and Polley got hot from outside, but the consistency was truly lacking. Our roster gets quite young next year, and unless we are surprised and get a few guys that become consistent shooters, we will face the same frustrating results. That means shooting droughts that last 4-8 minutes during games.

COMING BACK:

Gaffney
Cole
Martin
Akok
Springs
Sanogo
Jackson

COMING IN:

Hawkins
Diggins
Johnson

LIKELY OR FOR SURE DEPARTING:

Polley
Carlton
Whalley - would like to see him return, but unknown at this point
Adams
Bouknight - should return, but pretty much 0 chance

PROJECTED STARTING LINE UP:

Gaffney
Jackson
Martin
Cole
Sanogo

***- Could see freshman in the mix

GAFFNEY:

He is a stable PG, could offer an opportunity for Cole to become a shooting guard, is he a NCAA Tournament winning guard? Not unless his game takes a quantum leap.

COLE:

He will be the leader of this team. If he can find a way to become a knockdown 40% three-point shooter, and more efficient overall on offense and shot selection, we will have a better offense.

MARTIN:

His offense took a major hit with Bouknight on the floor. He is a tough physical player that showed he can hit some 3's and mix it up inside. Has to become a better finisher inside. I think his offensive contribution will improve without Bouknight.

JACKSON:

Obviously athletic. He was good for an ooh and ahh moment in most games. He has a lot of work to do on his shot. He not only shot poorly, but his misses were so bad at times it made you scratch your head. He also relies too much on his athleticism, and is often behind the player he is guarding, and I call him Hackson. He is a foul a minute, and has to get a better court presence. It is likely from immaturity, and hopefully he grows. I'm not sold yet what he brings. Seems like the potential is there, but I need to see more. If he becomes what most think he will, and a good chunk of that is on display next year, he can really make a difference. If he doesn't we could be in trouble.

SANOGO:

Probably the most skilled freshman big man we have ever had. Where can he take his game next year? He is poised to be a 15/10 guy. If he grows into that, he might be gone after next year. He has an NBA body already, and a skill set, complete with NBA footwork, and dexterity with either hand. If his maturation progress reaches that level next year, he will be our best player. Has to learn to guard without fouling. He has the skill set to do so, but if he becomes our best player, and still foul prone we will suffer the consequences.

AKOK:

One word sums him up. Mystery! He appeared healthy, and Hurley was working him into the mix. Had 8 quick points in a game, and mysteriously disappeared the rest of the season. Is he hurt? Lingering achilles issues? Dog house? Not good enough? I have no idea what to expect from him next year, other than more than this year. He becomes a wild card. He is going to be a reasonable contributor or he is going to become Ater Majok.

SPRINGS:

Obviously he wasn't ready for playing time this year. Not sure if he gets much next year. He looks like a potential transfer candidate to me, especially not having to sit out. It is clear with Johnson coming in, and the potential for Clingan coming in the following year his opportunity here is not looking advantageous for him.

THE FRESHMAN:

Hawkins may be the most needed. He apparently can knock down shots. If he can he will be getting a lot of minutes starting or otherwise. Diggins will get a chance to get minutes, and Johnson at 6'10" has seen his stock on the rise. If he proves worthy there will be minutes for him.

FURTHER ADDITIONS:

Hurley will have some room to add players. If Whalley indeed moves on, we have just 10 rostered players, losing 5 from this season with 3 freshman coming in. There are currently 9 top 50 players undecided. Right now we are not in a good spot with any of them. There is one top 51-99 prospect, we are uninvolved. Then from 100-150 there are 3, none of which we are close with. That means Whalley is certainly a coveted player if both sides decide to make it happen. There should be a lot of movement of players with not having to sit out as a transfer. We have no players leaving after next year because they are out of eligibility so we may be better served doing nothing, and keep options open for better opportunities. If we do look to bring a transfer in it has to be a knock down shooter. That is what we need most.

CONCLUSION:

We will have some quality depth. We need shooters. Can this roster produce them? I don't think we have that answer right now. Most will be expecting us to sizzle next year, as the appearance is we have turned the corner. I don't think that is the case yet. I think we are in the turn, not around it. There is no doubt the roster is more talented, but is that talent ready to move us up to the next level? My gut says no right now, but the potential is there to prove otherwise, but to do so we would need a lot to happen. If we can keep Sanogo around beyond next year, and bring in another high profile class, we should be rounding that corner the year after next. There is no doubt that change is in the air. We are an exciting team with a deeper and more talented roster, we have to keep growing.

'You're not very good at this internet thing. It appears you put a great deal of thought into this post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom