Looking ahead to UConn football in 2019: Improved D, lighter schedule, QB competition (Putterman) | The Boneyard

Looking ahead to UConn football in 2019: Improved D, lighter schedule, QB competition (Putterman)

Reaction Score
Looking ahead to UConn football in 2019: Improved D, lighter schedule, QB competition

>>In fact, more than one player said the Huskies will use the memory of their 1-11 2018 campaign as motivation as they head into 2019.

“Every time we mess up, we’re going to bring up this season,” running back Kevin Mensah said. “‘You guys want to end up like last year?’ And, hopefully, that motivates people to work harder. No one wants to go through this feeling again.”<<

Reaction Score
Lighter schedule-starting the season with Wagner. Why? If you want to play a team from CCSU's league, play CCSU. At least you will get some in state interest in the game.

Reaction Score
Next worse defense against scoring in AAC (and gave up 2 touchdowns per game less than UConn) just fired their DC!
UConn can improve their defense a lot and still be the worst in FBS. Teams scored on UConn until they just didn't need to any more.
So you go into next year with this bunch of kids, 10 months later they are going to be sooooooooo much better? Not likely. Help from recruiting class, we saw this year how effective real freshman are who are recruited by HCRE2.0. Transfers and juco, good luck with that with this current regime.
HCRE2.0 will be playing in 2019 for the 2021 season and then he will complain that he doesn't have any red shirt seniors when 2021 comes around.

It's never too early to stop going in the wrong direction.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Lighter schedule-starting the season with Wagner. Why?

Because when the Huskies meet the Power Painters you throw out the record books. That's why!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Buy your tickets now!

Reaction Score
The future’s so bright; I gotta wear shades
519F3B6A-1756-464C-8F24-61F9096547A3.jpeg

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
With the exception of Travis and Kevon Jones, O'neill Robinson, Herring-Wilson, and Coyle, I just don't see any players on D who showed real promise and give me reason to believe they will be significantly better next year.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
With the exception of Travis and Kevon Jones, O'neill Robinson, Herring-Wilson, and Coyle, I just don't see any players on D who showed real promise and give me reason to believe they will be significantly better next year.

There’s a case for Beavers if he can get consistent coaching and isn’t constantly shuffled between DE and OLB.

Reaction Score

There’s a case for Beavers if he can get consistent coaching and isn’t constantly shuffled between DE and OLB.

Pace and Ugauk are true freshman and have shown flashes but need to grow and DeVaughn has moments before he got shut down after 4 games.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Pace and Ugauk are true freshman and have shown flashes but need to grow and DeVaughn has moments before he got shut down after 4 games.

Uguak seemed very active at the LOS. It’s been a while since we’ve had a DL who’s consistently shown the ability to get his hands on passes.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Uguak manage to get to players behind the LOS from time to time only to see them run through us tackles. A stronger upper body should yield meaningful improvement.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I feel like Beavers was pretty darn ineffective at the DE position once he became his primary postion. I don’t have a strong feeling on this, but I would be inclined to make him an OLB again that plays a half dozen snaps a game as a lineman. The art of the blitz and disruptive line play is confusing the Oline and him lined up play after play at DE fooled no one and netted little, especially against the run. He can’t set the edge against the run or consistently beat OTs on pass protection.

Got two more years to find ways to get more out of his combination of strength and speed.

Reaction Score
I feel like Beavers was pretty darn ineffective at the DE position once he became his primary postion. I don’t have a strong feeling on this, but I would be inclined to make him an OLB again that plays a half dozen snaps a game as a lineman. The art of the blitz and disruptive line play is confusing the Oline and him lined up play after play at DE fooled no one and netted little, especially against the run. He can’t set the edge against the run or consistently beat OTs on pass protection.

Got two more years to find ways to get more out of his combination of strength and speed.
I still don't understand why on rushing downs we didn't line up in the 3-3-5 and then move up Beavers to rush linebacker and then bring Coyle into the box. There, Randy, you've got your stupid 4-3 that you're clamoring for.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
One nugget:
Stanley Hubbard is the likely candidate to replace Ryan Crozier at center although Peter Rooney figures to push for that spot as well...<--didn't realize Rooney was playing center.

Jalon Ferrell, Jordan Morrison, Malik Banks and Terrance Ganyi join Ian Swenson as hybrid safety/linebacker types. <--And from what I heard, Banks was playing with the regular safeties in the second 1/2 of the season rather than the hybrid position. Also, over the last few games Fortt played some snaps at the hybrid position as well.

I really would like to terminate the husky/hybrid LB and slide Ganyi to regular OLB and Fortt and Morrison to nickel corner. Morrison looked plenty athletic in HS, so I am really hoping that his year of S&C helps him become an impact player for 2019.

Reaction Score
One nugget:
Stanley Hubbard is the likely candidate to replace Ryan Crozier at center although Peter Rooney figures to push for that spot as well...<--didn't realize Rooney was playing center.

Jalon Ferrell, Jordan Morrison, Malik Banks and Terrance Ganyi join Ian Swenson as hybrid safety/linebacker types. <--And from what I heard, Banks was playing with the regular safeties in the second 1/2 of the season rather than the hybrid position. Also, over the last few games Fortt played some snaps at the hybrid position as well.

I really would like to terminate the husky/hybrid LB and slide Ganyi to regular OLB and Fortt and Morrison to nickel corner. Morrison looked plenty athletic in HS, so I am really hoping that his year of S&C helps him become an impact player for 2019.
The hybrid: means not good enough for either role. Can’t stop the run or bring an interior blitz effectively, and can’t cover the pass. Net effect is bad recruiting of suboptimal players for the jobs they must do. Ergo: Buffalo can recruit kids that can at least hold their own while ours get the crap beat out if us. Just malpractice from the start.

Reaction Score
DeVaughn and Uguak? Also the incoming frosh Dillon Harris will be a starter. I think DeVaughn has more potential to improve than anyone on defense with the possibile exception of Travis.

Reaction Score
DeVaughn had that nagging high ankle sprain that killed his pass rushing ability from the end position. Also needs to put on 10-20 pounds in the off season.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
DeVaughn and Uguak? Also the incoming frosh Dillon Harris will be a starter. I think DeVaughn has more potential to improve than anyone on defense with the possibile exception of Travis.
I suppose time will tell. What I posted were just the first guys that came to my mind.

Reaction Score
I liked Uguwak and Pace as well. Beavers with a few pounds will be an effective rush end. These players all showed growth, and they have one thing in common, they're all part of the unit coached by Dottin-Carter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom