Looking ahead to the Cal game | The Boneyard

Looking ahead to the Cal game

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Some good info in this article on the Cal website:

Bears Set For Showdown In Storrs

"When [Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma] reached out and asked if I wanted to start a series with UConn, I agreed with no hesitation," said Gottlieb, now in her seventh season as head coach of the Golden Bears. "They are the best and we want to be the best. I want to give our players every possible opportunity to compete, to stretch themselves, and to play on the biggest stage."

Friday's game marks the start of a four-year series between the schools and will be the fifth meeting all-time between the teams. The Golden Bears and Huskies last squared off on December 22, 2013, an 80-47 victory for the Huskies in the Maggie Dixon Classic in New York City. This will be just the second meeting between the teams in Connecticut and the first since the 1994-95 season.​

Reaction Score
Good for Lindsay Gottlieb. And she certainly knows what is in store for her team. The last time we played, Stewie outscored Cal in the first half!

At least she wants to play us. Unlike Baylor, which is busy playing teams ranked 300. Sadness. No wonder they never get to the Final Four.

Reaction Score
Thanks for this: I'm be there.

Of course, Geno wants variation in the first half of the season, where he has to pack in most of the competitive play before conference games start. But going out to N. California twice in the next 4 yrs is a nice way of establishing a presence in a potential recruiting ground as well--not to mention that Susan Herbst probably has some high tech alumns out there she'd like to connect with.

Reaction Score
Weekend objectives: play complete games; finish as strong as the team begins; get Pheesa and Nurse more involved by sitting Collier under the basket instead of behind the arc, and test the theory (with points) that Kia will now get more open with CD at the point. IMO it's important after the Stanford game to score inside and get more offensive rebounds. That isn't likely if our "ball magnet" is hanging outside. If Pheesa and Nurse awaken, UConn should have no trouble with either opponent this weekend.

Reaction Score
Weekend objectives: play complete games; finish as strong as the team begins; get Pheesa and Nurse more involved by sitting Collier under the basket instead of behind the arc, and test the theory (with points) that Kia will now get more open with CD at the point. IMO it's important after the Stanford game to score inside and get more offensive rebounds. That isn't likely if our "ball magnet" is hanging outside. If Pheesa and Nurse awaken, UConn should have no trouble with either opponent this weekend.
+1

the other thing to watch is precisely how Z fits in with Pheesa. It may take some time to work out spacing underneath.

Reaction Score
+1

the other thing to watch is precisely how Z fits in with Pheesa. It may take some time to work out spacing underneath.

I think Pheese will need to also look to pass it a little bit more this year with Z on the floor. Specifically when she either drives to basket or receives it in the post and beats her opponent, and help defense collapses. To your point the spacing may be a bit different below when Z is in game and not on perimeter, so the help defender(s) may be closer to the paint.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom