Looking ahead to Miami | The Boneyard

Looking ahead to Miami

Reaction Score
Miami’s frontcourt is absolutely awful and they’ve been the worst defensive rebounding high major team in the country.

Gilbert being matched up with Lykes may be what the doctor called for.

Big opportunity for a top 75 win if we don’t come out with a hangover. The line will probably open at PK, but UConn really should win.

Reaction Score
disclaimer: i’m sober now.

UConn basketball is fun again. We just went to double OT with the 18th ranked team in the country. We lost by like 50 to Arkansas 2 years ago. We lost, and yeah, it would’ve been nice to win. But I’m just gonna try to enjoy the ride back to the top.

Reaction Score
UConn basketball is fun again. We just went to double OT with the 18th ranked team in the country. We lost by like 50 to Arkansas 2 years ago. We lost, and yeah, it would’ve been nice to win. But I’m just gonna try to enjoy the ride back to the top.
I just sent a DM with the same sentiment to @BFieldHusky. Last night was frustrating but I'm proud of the kids – they played hard as hell, many of them have improved so, so much, and they're starting to make the most of what talent they do have. We're not winning any titles this year but we're gonna take a big step forward, and that matters to me.

It's fun to watch again, and I'm positively giddy at the thought of where we'll be two year from now.

DISCLAIMER: I reserve the right to deny all of the above if we stink it up vs. Miami tonight.

Reaction Score
I just sent a DM with the same sentiment to @BFieldHusky. Last night was frustrating but I'm proud of the kids – they played hard as hell, many of them have improved so, so much, and they're starting to make the most of what talent they do have. We're not winning any titles this year but we're gonna take a big step forward, and that matters to me.

It's fun to watch again, and I'm positively giddy at the thought of where we'll be two year from now.

DISCLAIMER: I reserve the right to deny all of the above if we stink it up vs. Miami tonight.
I think we play vs Miami tomorrow? Wish it was tonight craving another game!

Reaction Score
This team has incredible drive to play basketball. I also notice that the offense MOVES now unlike under Ollie where it was isolation basketball, which simply does not work in the collegiate level. I will take a heartbreaking double overtime loss to the 18th ranked team in the country because I know with our previous coach it would have ended up in a 20-40 point blowout loss. We are competitive now! Come on Huskies on to Sunday!

E: before someone calls me out on "bashing Ollie" I'm not bashing him, I'm just pointing out the glaring lack of coaching that led to our boys not being even close in these quality games. We would have never been close in a game like this as in previous years we would've been blown off the court by half time.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
disclaimer: i’m sober now.

I get the sentiment, but honestly don't understand why they were ranked 18th. Until last night they really hadn't beaten anyone good, and even against lesser competition, a couple of their wins were by uncomfortably small margins. Granted it's early in the season. Florida was ranked too.

Reaction Score
Just ran into Ostrout at Fort Sumter....said Miami had a bad game against FL but we should be able to beat them.

Reaction Score
I get the sentiment, but honestly don't understand why they were ranked 18th. Until last night they really hadn't beaten anyone good, and even against lesser competition, a couple of their wins were by uncomfortably small margins. Granted it's early in the season. Florida was ranked too.
Umm because they were ranked preseason and the season just started, also because they're a good team.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Umm because they were ranked preseason and the season just started, also because they're a good team.

I get that 18th ranked five games into the season isn't like 18th ranked after 32 games. I simply didn't think they were all that coming into the game based on their previous wins.

Reaction Score
I watched the first half of the Missouri State v Miami game on Thursday. As @UConnStats mentioned, Miami has a poor frontcourt and Missouri State tried to bully their way on the offensive end, feeding Gage Prim, a 6'8 250 load, on the low block and he dominated with 18 points in just 23 minutes. I'd do the same with Carlton.

Miami is all about their starting 1-3 trio of Lykes/Vasiljevic/McGusty who are all very good players. Miami wins when these three hit shots. Wong and Beverley are talented freshmen, but not playing much just yet. Vasiljevic is the real deal and is a smart, strong 2-guard with a good outside shot, but is weak defensively while McGusty is a good driver, better defensively, but a poorer outside shooter. Similar to Buffalo's Ronaldo Segu, Chris Lykes is an undersized PG with electric quickness and shiftiness, but inconsistent outside shooter.

Miami's disparity between frontcourt and backcourt talent should be a coup for Carlton because he should bully his way on the low block while having an easier assignment on the defensive end with Miami's frontcourt trio of Miller/Waardenburg/Gak combining for 12.7 ppg in 59.9 mpg (oof). Shooting FTs at a combined 29.4 % (!) rate, it's also a good game to use Whaley's five fouls if these guys get open looks under the basket.

As long as Miami isn't hot on the perimeter, UConn should have a good chance in this one.

Reaction Score
I watched the first half of the Missouri State v Miami game on Thursday. As @UConnStats mentioned, Miami has a poor frontcourt and Missouri State tried to bully their way on the offensive end, feeding Gage Prim, a 6'8 250 load, on the low block and he dominated with 18 points in just 23 minutes. I'd do the same with Carlton.

Miami is all about their starting 1-3 trio of Lykes/Vasiljevic/McGusty who are all very good players. Miami wins when these three hit shots. Wong and Beverley are talented freshmen, but not playing much just yet. Vasiljevic is the real deal and is a smart, strong 2-guard with a good outside shot, but is weak defensively while McGusty is a good driver, better defensively, but a poorer outside shooter. Similar to Buffalo's Ronaldo Segu, Chris Lykes is an undersized PG with electric quickness and shiftiness, but inconsistent outside shooter.

Miami's disparity between frontcourt and backcourt talent should be a coup for Carlton because he should bully his way on the low block while having an easier assignment on the defensive end with Miami's frontcourt trio of Miller/Waardenburg/Gak combining for 12.7 ppg in 59.9 mpg (oof). Shooting FTs at a combined 29.4 % (!) rate, it's also a good game to use Whaley's five fouls if these guys get open looks under the basket.

As long as Miami isn't hot on the perimeter, UConn should have a good chance in this one.
Thanks for the info!

Reaction Score

The problem is that UConn tends to make 3 point shooting teams even better than they are.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Florida winning it helps UConn more. I would think Florida is the clear choice to cheer for in a close one.
I was thinking about that myself. It will look good for us. If Florida wins, that may propel them back to the T25. Which is a huge plus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom