Look For Notre Dame To The Acc To Heat Up In The Next Couple Of Weeks | The Boneyard

Look For Notre Dame To The Acc To Heat Up In The Next Couple Of Weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now that the political/media heat of the ACC killing the Big East has retreated, up next is President Herbst's next goal. As she stated UConn helped rebuild the Big East. The next goal is Notre Dame to the ACC. In rebuilding the Big East Herbst helped assure ND goes. ND will not want to play with UCF,UH, SMU, and without SU, WVU and Pitt.

Notre Dame begins a stretch of three games in a row against the ACC, Wake Forest, Maryland and BC.

David Teel of the Daily Press (covers the Hokies, UVA and the NC teams heavily) has written extensively about the ACC/Notre Dame courtship. His latest article from today is here:
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/te...c-to-court-notre-dame-20111104,0,683340.story

Espn is talking about it:
http://espn.go.com/blog/notre-dame-football/post/_/id/2207/week-10-did-you-know

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't see ND going to the ACC sooner than 2015.

The reason is their contract with NBC. I'm not sure NBC will make it easy for ND to go to a conference with an ESPN contract. On the other hand the BE contract coming up could be won by NBC and that could make things interesting.

Most likely ND will stay independent. With the cozy arrangement ND has with NBC it is hard to imagine they join a conference.

ND contract with NBC: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/11/sports/ncaafootball/11sandomir.html

Reaction Score
The ACC would allow ND to keep its contract and come in as a football member in a heartbeat. Nd keeps its TV revenue on its home games, the ACC doesn't pay ND a share for the TV revenue for the conferences home games and sells 4 ND conference road games a year into its pool. It's a total win win.

I still think it's conceivable that the ACC is offering ND as a non-football member, but I can see why they might not as well. But ND having a separate TV arrangment doesn't stop the ACC for a heartbeat

Reaction Score
The tv issue is definitely a tough one.

Today, Pete Thamel as he does every Friday, answers questions re college football. Thamel is anti-UConn (he wrote the Nate Miles hit piece, the one where Miles was hunted down at his home and said he had stuff on Calhoun and UConn). One of the questions concerns Rutgers and whether they are stuck in the Big East for a while. Even he has been steadfast that UConn is #16 and talk of ND to ACC is real.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ete-thamel-answers-your-questions/#more-33651
"Rutgers appears stuck in the Big East for the foreseeable future... If Notre Dame goes to the A.C.C. and the league needs a 16th, I’ve heard that Rutgers has gained ground on UConn in part because of UConn’s putrid G.S.R. rates (i.e., the metrics that that the N.C.A.A. uses to gauge progress toward graduation). In the self-important minds of A.C.C. leaders, those could make a difference. But the reality is that Rutgers has had one good football season in its entire existence and has been nationally irrelevant in basketball for the past generation. Success and tradition matter, and Rutgers has little to none of either. Considering what Rutgers has accomplished on the field, they are lucky to be in the Big East in football and basketball."

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The ACC would allow ND to keep its contract and come in as a football member in a heartbeat. Nd keeps its TV revenue on its home games, the ACC doesn't pay ND a share for the TV revenue for the conferences home games and sells 4 ND conference road games a year into its pool. It's a total win win.

I still think it's conceivable that the ACC is offering ND as a non-football member, but I can see why they might not as well. But ND having a separate TV arrangment doesn't stop the ACC for a heartbeat
But would NBC be happy with this?

Reaction Score
Nevermind about Thamel's "putrid GSR rates [sic]". The only bad GSR rate in the athletic department is men's basketball. But being a Syracuse homer, and anti-UConn, he always needs to get his digs in. At least he's consistently biased against UConn, so you know where he stands.

The goings on at Miami, UNC, Georgia Tech football on probation until 2015, etc., make UConn's lone bad APR/GSR issue moot, except in the eyes of UConn haters.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Any and all ND to the ACC rumors are good.

UConn as #16 is good.

Comcast needing to sweeten the BE/ND BCS AQ arrangement is good too. It makes sense to me for Comcast to buy the whole motley crew and their shared BCS bid/bowl arrangements.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nevermind about Thamel's "putrid GSR rates [sic]". The only bad GSR rate in the athletic department is men's basketball. But being a Syracuse homer, and anti-UConn, he always needs to get his digs in. At least he's consistently biased against UConn, so you know where he stands.

The goings on at Miami, UNC, Georgia Tech football on probation until 2015, etc., make UConn's lone bad APR/GSR issue moot, except in the eyes of UConn haters.

Yeah, this poor GSR rate? "UConn has now been honored by the AFCA in their program in five of the past seven years and for three-straight." Since he hates UConn, I hope this info is for real. I'd be excited about an ACC invite. It may be football neutral, but I'd love the hoops and I think it would help baseball. Soccer would remain in good shape, as ND was one of our better competitors in that regard.

Reaction Score

What's the status of Florida State right now? They got caught in a test cheating scandal a few years ago, when Bowden got stripped of some wins. You can talk about APRs all you want, but when you have people cheating on tests, or not taking actual college level courses, the whole thing is completely skewed. Are they off suspension for this?

Reaction Score
What's the status of Florida State right now? They got caught in a test cheating scandal a few years ago, when Bowden got stripped of some wins. You can talk about APRs all you want, but when you have people cheating on tests, or not taking actual college level courses, the whole thing is completely skewed. Are they off suspension for this?
After they all wrote "I will not cheat on tests" 1000 times, they lifted the suspension (or something pretty close to thet type of penalty).

Reaction Score
Free Shoes U football on probation until 2013 for academic fraud.

Reaction Score
I don't know...I think Notre Dame to the ACC is wishful thinking. They couldn't seel the big 10 to their Alumni, but they are goin got be able to sell the ACC? Serioulsy? 85% of the student body is Catholic. And although it has students from all 50 states, the largest portion, 38%, are still from the midwest and another 15% or so are from the northeast. Syracuse Pitt and BC probably help the ACC's cause, but I'm not sure they help it that much. for all its nation presence it it still very much a northeastern-midwestern university. If forced I guess the athletic department would prefer the ACC to trying to compete with the beheamoths in the Big 10, but I suspect it would be like th eGreek bailout...the alums would riot in the street.

Reaction Score
Free Shoes U football on probation until 2013 for academic fraud.
That's interesting. So the ACC has FSU, North Carolina, GTech all under some type of probation for cheating or paying player benefits, and you have something certainly about to happen at Miami, and people want to talk about Jim Calhoun texting? And our grad rates for mens BB?

Reaction Score
I don't know...I think Notre Dame to the ACC is wishful thinking. They couldn't seel the big 10 to their Alumni, but they are goin got be able to sell the ACC? Serioulsy? 85% of the student body is Catholic. And although it has students from all 50 states, the largest portion, 38%, are still from the midwest and another 15% or so are from the northeast. Syracuse Pitt and BC probably help the ACC's cause, but I'm not sure they help it that much. for all its nation presence it it still very much a northeastern-midwestern university. If forced I guess the athletic department would prefer the ACC to trying to compete with the beheamoths in the Big 10, but I suspect it would be like th eGreek bailout...the alums would riot in the street.
There certainly are some interests at ND that want to join a conference. But there is much stronger institutional resistance. I mean, there is absolutely no need for them to even think about it. Not money, not scheduling, not anything. Olympic sports? Divide them up and let them play in different conferences, what's the difference? Most of them can simply stay in the Big East. They'll be happy with Big East basketball. And with a 27 month window that keeps Pitt and Syr on board, they'll worry about 2014 in 2014.

Reaction Score
Let's hope ND thoroughly dominates in those ACC games.

Reaction Score
Let's hope ND thoroughly dominates in those ACC games.
Wake maryland and BC are the 3 games...if they don't throughly dominate in at least 2, they really ought to look at whether there is an opening in the Missouri Valley or the Pioneer or somewhere...

Reaction Score
Another article discussing Notre Dame to the ACC.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sbt...gin-acc-stretch-20111104,0,2041822,full.story

"There’s an academic fit, the public school/private school fit. The other viable conference options - should ND bail on its limited partnership with the increasingly Conference USA-esque Big East - are the Big 12 and the Big Ten. The latter has just one private school among its 12 members -Northwestern. Same for the 10-team Big 12 (Baylor), though TCU is committed to coming aboard.

The ACC has four - Wake, Duke, Miami and Boston College, with Syracuse on the way as a fifth. “You look at the public institutions. North Carolina and Virginia are two of the top ones there,” Corrigan said. “You look at the other sports besides football - the women’s and men’s soccer, the men’s and women’s lacrosse. They are all the sports that the ACC is good in. So there’s a lot of fit across the board in sports that certainly doesn’t exist with the Big East.

“Except geography, I can’t imagine there’s a better or more logical place for them to be.”"

Reaction Score
I can see the ACC offering ND a non football membership and then would keep a football membership warm for them until the NBC contract comes up for renegotiation.

Reaction Score
I don't see ND going to the ACC sooner than 2015.

The reason is their contract with NBC. I'm not sure NBC will make it easy for ND to go to a conference with an ESPN contract. On the other hand the BE contract coming up could be won by NBC and that could make things interesting.

Most likely ND will stay independent. With the cozy arrangement ND has with NBC it is hard to imagine they join a conference.

ND contract with NBC: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/11/sports/ncaafootball/11sandomir.html
I think that the ACC would work out the TV contract. Swofford catches a lot of flack on this board but he has a history of being a good, proactive planner with a long term plan.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think that the ACC would work out the TV contract. Swofford catches a lot of flack on this board but he has a history of being a good, proactive planner with a long term plan.
Notre Dame and NBC have a special arrangement that I don't believe Notre Dame wants to destroy. This isn't about what the ACC can or can't do. This is about whether Notre Dame wants to tick off their sugar daddy.

Reaction Score
That sugar daddy is losing viewership on all levels, in addition to ND, so the purse strings may be tightening in the future with the chance NBC would welcome some creative help in keeping the ND product.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That sugar daddy is losing viewership on all levels, in addition to ND, so the purse strings may be tightening in the future with the chance NBC would welcome some creative help in keeping the ND product.
NBC may decide to jettison ND and let the ACC or some other conference take them, work out something with the ACC and ESPN to cut their losses, or convince ND to go all in with the NBE and make the NBE the play. But it is NBC and not the ACC that will decide the route.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
NBC may decide to jettison ND and let the ACC or some other conference take them, work out something with the ACC and ESPN to cut their losses, or convince ND to go all in with the NBE and make the NBE the play. But it is NBC and not the ACC that will decide the route.

This may be what happens assuming no other network will step in. I just want them to do SOMETHING. ND being noncommittal is killing us.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul