Long time lurker, serial liker, UCWBB lover | The Boneyard

Long time lurker, serial liker, UCWBB lover

Reaction Score
My better half over the last half century has urged me not to react impulsively so I've waited 10 years as a BY member to make my first post. Growing up with the Cousy, Jones boys, Russell, Havlicek Celtics as my role model it was not hard for me to fall in love with how the UConn women play. Like many, I appreciate the style of play, the beauty when executed well, the relentless quest for perfection. I also appreciate how Geno, Chris, et al develop these women to be well prepared for whatever life brings after basketball.

As a D3 athlete who is the son-in-law of a longtime college AD in CT I didn't realize that I was around the cusp of the basketball renaissance at UConn as I heard from my father-in-law about his discussions with John Toner about hiring Geno and Calhoun. I remember one summer in RI having drinks with my father-in-law, Toner, Carm Cozza, and Dave Gavitt, the original Big East commissioner. I asked Dave why he left coaching. His answer: "I got tired of a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds running up and down the court with my paycheck in their mouths".

Finally, I want to thank the mods and the many posters who bring information, humor and grace to a world where that is harder and harder to find. The BY has provided me with many hours of pleasure for which I am eternally grateful.

Reaction Score
Welcome...! And anytime anyone mentions the "old" Celtics, it warms my heart and makes me smile. In the fall of 1962, they played an intersquad game at my old High School in Orange, Mass. Only 13 at the time, it was a thrill, and I thought I was in heaven. A couple years later, in March of 1965, I went to the old Garden to see them play the Cincinnati Royals. It was to be my only venture to the Gah-den, but I'm so glad we did, as I cherish that memory too. Like you, I'm an ardent follower of the Huskies, but the "roots" of my Huskie love lie with those old Celtics teams, up through the 80's Larry Bird era.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
My better half over the last half century has urged me not to react impulsively so I've waited 10 years as a BY member to make my first post. Growing up with the Cousy, Jones boys, Russell, Havlicek Celtics as my role model it was not hard for me to fall in love with how the UConn women play. Like many, I appreciate the style of play, the beauty when executed well, the relentless quest for perfection. I also appreciate how Geno, Chris, et al develop these women to be well prepared for whatever life brings after basketball.

As a D3 athlete who is the son-in-law of a longtime college AD in CT I didn't realize that I was around the cusp of the basketball renaissance at UConn as I heard from my father-in-law about his discussions with John Toner about hiring Geno and Calhoun. I remember one summer in RI having drinks with my father-in-law, Toner, Carm Cozza, and Dave Gavitt, the original Big East commissioner. I asked Dave why he left coaching. His answer: "I got tired of a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds running up and down the court with my paycheck in their mouths".

Finally, I want to thank the mods and the many posters who bring information, humor and grace to a world where that is harder and harder to find. The BY has provided me with many hours of pleasure for which I am eternally grateful.

Finally a "face" behind all of the likes :D Thanks for posting

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
I sometimes smile to myself when I read or hear people arguing about who is the greatest player ever to play in the NBA, LeBron or Michael. Hmmm, Two NCAA Championships, an Olympic championship and, I believe, nine NBA championships. Which one was it? Oh, I almost forgot, Bill Russell.

Reaction Score

I'm glad to see you broke the ice and joined the conversation! As I'm sure you have surmised Boneyard is the place to go if you remember rosters from the 60's or even earlier.

@Steelerone - it boggles the mind that Russell isn't even in the GOAT conversation anymore.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Should have listened to your better half. Now it's too late. You've crossed over. No escape.

200w.gif

Reaction Score
I'm glad to see you broke the ice and joined the conversation! As I'm sure you have surmised Boneyard is the place to go if you remember rosters from the 60's or even earlier.

@Steelerone - it boggles the mind that Russell isn't even in the GOAT conversation anymore.
I think it's a generational thing. When I was a teenager all we heard was Cobb, Ruth, or Speaker. We thought it was Musial, Williams, Duke or Mickey. If you ask a kid now who Musial was he'd probably tell you it's a rock group.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Welcome aboard, I was also afraid to post at first after being informed of the Boneyard by a Husky fan I met in Reno when UConn played Gabby's homecoming game. I find 99.9% of the posters to be a breath of fresh air and very knowledgeable when it comes to women's basketball and UConn. I hope you enjoy the camaraderie and some of the great off-season threads that are posted. Your handle looks familiar, did you participate in the Prognosticator's Predictions thread last season?

Reaction Score
Welcome! Glad you could finally join in a discussion with this unique group of fanatics! We may not always agree, but it's all love behind it!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom