Long term parking for Newark airport | The Boneyard

Long term parking for Newark airport

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Flying out of Newark and will be gone for a week. What is the best option for parking, in terms of price/distance from airport? Flying United if that makes a difference.

Reaction Score
I use the Hilton Airport parking. Its similarly priced with the other long term parking in the vicinity. They also have a garage which can be important this time of year. Since its a hotel their parking lot is busy so safety not a concern. Shuttle every 20 minutes or so, and you can wait in the Lobby (free wifi) and have a drink and watch TV. So you won't get cold (if you are wearing light coat for tropics), or wet.

Also when returning you can also use bathroom in the hotel before getting on the highway, grab a cup of coffee or even food.

The added benefit is that I have missed/cancelled flights, and have been able to just stay there overnight.

Have tried a couple of the others, and there could be better, but Hilton is my choice.

Cheap Airport Parking

Reaction Score
I have parked at the Newark airport lots before. There's a shuttle. I don't recall it being particularly expensive. I believe it was called "Economy parking P6" or something like that.

Reaction Score
Depends on the time of your flights and a cost/benefit analysis.

I don’t use any of the off premises parking options. Not a knock on them, I just haven’t felt like doing the due diligence on quality and speed to get back and forth to terminal. It gets pricey to use the on premises parking, but it‘s one less stress factor for my wife (which means it’s one less stress factor for me).

I usually use P4. You take the monorail one stop to or from Terminal C. During my most recent flight, however, I had a VERY early flight with my family. Before a certain time the monorail only runs every 15 minutes and I know I would have just missed one (based on my luck). So we just parked at Terminal C. It’s only a few buck more per day (P4 is overpriced).

You can now book your parking in advance. I’m not sure it’s that big of a deal, but we were going during the holiday week so access was one last thing to worry about. You enter your license plate number when you book the access and the readers at the lot do the rest. Pretty easy.

Reaction Score
If you're parking off-airport, make sure the lot is well-secured, well-lit, camera-protected (and that those things are really in effect).

I know someone who recently parked off-airport at a hotel-associated parking lot at Cleveland airport with that claimed level of protection.

They came back to find their catalytic converter sawed off and stolen. Major hassle and major additional expense. Apparently its a booming "industry" at the moment.

Reaction Score
I was reminded of another option we use a lot (Fairfield County). We would rent a car drop off/pickup at airport. We're driving anyways and more secure than using parking lots, no worries.

This was pre-pandemic of course, as I hear that nowadays car renting is problematic.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I was reminded of another option we use a lot (Fairfield County). We would rent a car drop off/pickup at airport. We're driving anyways and more secure than using parking lots, no worries.

This was pre-pandemic of course, as I hear that nowadays car renting is problematic.
I second the one-way car rental.

Reaction Score
I've done long term parking on-site many times. Easier than other airports.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks all. Lots of good advice and perspectives.

It's looking like it will be bitter cold that morning, and we'll be traveling with ski equipment, so I think P4 is the best, lowest stress option. Looks like a short walk to the AirTrain and one stop puts us right inside Terminal C, where we want to be. We'll be getting back later at night when we return, so I'd like to avoid having to do the shuttle, etc. before getting back in the car for the long drive home.

Reaction Score

It's looking like it will be bitter cold that morning, and we'll be traveling with ski equipment, so I think P4 is the best, lowest stress option. Looks like a short walk to the AirTrain and one stop puts us right inside Terminal C, where we want to be. We'll be getting back later at night when we return, so I'd like to avoid having to do the shuttle, etc. before getting back in the car for the long drive home.

I left my car at P4 for something like 7 or 8 weeks a few summers ago with no issue. Just one anecdotal example, but I've always felt those lots felt pretty safe. Well lit, cameras, gates, etc.

Reaction Score

For ski equipment, I would recommend shipping in advance. I used luggage forward. I got my skis, boots, poles, and a bunch of ski gear and my travel kit in my ski bag which really lightened up my load which is yuuuggge when traveling.

Reaction Score

Added bonus of monorail lots is I’ve been able to remote start my car from train before apps were avail to do it

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For ski equipment, I would recommend shipping in advance. I used luggage forward. I got my skis, boots, poles, and a bunch of ski gear and my travel kit in my ski bag which really lightened up my load which is yuuuggge when traveling.
Too late for that now, but interesting option for future trips.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We did the park, stay, fly thing for a long trip. That's how we handle Boston and Newark departures.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We did the park, stay, fly thing for a long trip. That's how we handle Boston and Newark departures.

I do that for early morning Boston departures.

Reaction Score

Couple of additional tips for P4 from someone who used it often (pre-pandemic) for family trips.
  • Don't worry about what floor you park on. Either way you're taking an elevator (and they come quickly). So you are better off parking a bit higher up, but closer to the elevator.
  • Take a picture of where you parked. All the rows are marked.
  • Because you have a lot of bags, you may want to consider dropping off the stuff and your family at Terminal C and then you park and monorail back. It's pretty quick, and your family can take care of checking in the bags. We sometimes do curbside check-in (don't know if they are still doing that with COVID) which is quick and just costs you a tip.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The Parking Spot usually offers a first rate valet service

Lots of construction at the airport, things are a mess, at least they were at the JetBlue Terminal back in November.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Couple of additional tips for P4 from someone who used it often (pre-pandemic) for family trips.
  • Don't worry about what floor you park on. Either way you're taking an elevator (and they come quickly). So you are better off parking a bit higher up, but closer to the elevator.
  • Take a picture of where you parked. All the rows are marked.
  • Because you have a lot of bags, you may want to consider dropping off the stuff and your family at Terminal C and then you park and monorail back. It's pretty quick, and your family can take care of checking in the bags. We sometimes do curbside check-in (don't know if they are still doing that with COVID) which is quick and just costs you a tip.

Now that's some slick thinking. Use the family as the rented mules to lug all the stuff while you take one for the team finding a parking spot and walking to the terminal with your keys, wallet and cell phone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom