Long Colorado Scouting Report | The Boneyard

Long Colorado Scouting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So this is my nightmare scenario... I'm a CU alum yet an enormous fan of UConn since I was teenager. With that said, I've seen every UConn game and most CU games (with exceptional of the 11 pm starts on the Pac 12 Network network). The bottom line... there aren't many similarities.

I will start with what CU does well.

1) they are an excellent interior team and really rebound well. Josh Scott is all Pac-12 and one of the best fundamental post players in the college game. He has gotten mixed reviews as a potential pro because he may not be as tall as listed (6'10") and apparently has short arms but I've always thought of him as a poor man's Tim Duncan and that's a complement. Their power forward Wesley Gordon is a hybrid center/PF who is an excellent rebounder, very good defender and a decent post player himself. What neither Gordon or Scott do though is spread the floor. Instead, they post and kick to their wings who are some of the best shooters in the conference.

2) their wings can score. George King is redshirt sophomore with great range and touch and is their 2nd best player. Josh Fortune also has excellent range and tends to push the ball up court. Treshaun Fletcher is a lefty who appears fairly passive yet consistently makes plays and also shoots well from distance. On top of that all three guys are between 6'5" and 6'7" and will rebound as well.

3) they hit free throws and get to the line. CU will likely be the best free throw shooting team they play and UConn will really need to try and stay out of foul trouble. The typical Brimah, Nolan, Miller silly fouls will really be an issue against the Buffs because once they start going to the line, they won't be missing like most of the teams UConn has seen this year.

Now... the problem areas for the Buffs.

1) they turn the ball over.. a lot. I'm not exaggerating when I say everyone is responsible (Scott being the exception). Their point guards (more later), the wings and their bigs all tend to dribble into traffic and either throw the ball at the rim or make terrible passes. UConn hasn't forced many live ball turnovers this season but should have opportunities against the Buffs.

2) the point guards are incredibly inconsistent and they don't necessarily facilitate the offense. Dominique Collier has been great in some games and has disappeared in others. Xavier Talton is not really a point guard but an undersized shooting guard. Thomas Akyazili is a wild card. He has been playing very well of late and tends to push the ball up the court. Regardless, none of them really make plays for others and their assist to turnover ratio is mediocre at best.

3) their defense should be better. With all of the length at the wings and an excellent interior, they should be a top 10 defense. CU plays mostly man to man and has a very difficult time with penetration. Expect Adams and Purvis to get the cup consistently.

4) they have little success outside of Boulder. Their home court is one of the best in the nation and for years were awful away from it. That wasn't as much the case this year but I'm still suspect of how they will perform on a big stage outside of Colorado.

The coach... Tad Boyle is excellent. Colorado has been one of the worst major conference jobs over the last 25 years and he has consistently gotten them into the dance. He is exceptionally composed and really relies on his players to battle through tough situations. I've never seen a coach focus as much as they do on rebounding (even over defense) but generally if they win the rebounding battle... CU wins.

If I have to make a prediction I think CU wins if the UConn bigs are in foul trouble. I think UConn wins if CU turns the ball over. As for matchups... look for Hamilton on George King and Brimah on Josh Scott.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
How's their overall 3 pt shooting?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
what about their defense? will they be a physical team like Cinci & Temple? will we have more space than we're used to seeing?

and I'm just happy to be getting away from the AAC officials, they're horrible and I'm not sure anyone disagrees

Reaction Score
sounds like Facey and TallFlow will get some run. Need to effectively defensive rebound
Enoch needs to be on the bench unless foul trouble . You must have missed Memphis tooling on him when he played today

Reaction Score
Great report OP. Colorado plays inside out but doesn't have much creativity on the perimeter. Uconn really doesn't force turnovers but they do force rushed perimeter shots. I think KO is going to throw the kitchen sink @ their bigs. Lots of crazy double teams and scrap downs

Reaction Score
If they shoot it so well from three, and they're so good inside, why is their offense so bad?

Not trying to be difficult, just curious. They definitely scare me for sure.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We can't be afraid of 3P shooting teams anymore. Colorado, Kansas and Maryland can all shoot.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If they shoot it so well from home, and they're so good inside, why is their offense so bad?

Not trying to be difficult, just curious. They definitely scare me for sure.
Because nobody can create their own shot. Teams that handle scott in the post 1v1 have given them trouble, while teams that double him get murdered on kick-outs.

He's really good.

Reaction Score
Because nobody can create their own shot. Teams that handle scott in the post 1v1 have given them trouble, while teams that double him get murdered on kick-outs.

He's really good.

Are you concerned then about our defensive scheme? It seems like we love to double their bigs. I would rather play 1 v 1 with Brimah/Nolan/Facey/Enoch and smother their outside shooters. Let Scott get his while shutting down everyone else.

Reaction Score
From BuffHusky's notes it sounds like both bigs stay near the hoop. We have been using the big to big double since the '99 championship. If we double Scott with Miller does the PF have the ability to find men on the wing? Could be our advantage.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Are you concerned then about our defensive scheme?
A little bit, yes.

It seems like we love to double their bigs. I would rather play 1 v 1 with Brimah/Nolan/Facey/Enoch and smother their outside shooters. Let Scott get his while shutting down everyone else.
Also yes. I'd almost rather double whoever's feeding the post rather than the post man himself, since nobody on Colorado is really a great or instinctive passer. I think that's how you force them into TOs, force them to play at our tempo, and force them to panic.

Scott's good and if he gets 1v1 in the post he'll eat, but I can live with that if we're doing everything else right.

Reaction Score
How's their overall 3 pt shooting?
If they shoot it so well from three, and they're so good inside, why is their offense so bad?

They have 2 great shooters and one decent one (who shoots a lot more than one of the better ones). But they don't actually shoot a ton of 3's, They're in the bottom 2/3 of teams in 3-point shot volume.

Their guards and wings don't shoot well on drives and midrange. Actually, their PF also shoots terrible from the paint. I can't imagine him having a good game against our interior defense. That's a team weakness against our team strength. The PF does o-rebound well, so if we're helping off him on Scott, someone needs to rotate down to box him out.

As mentioned above, they shoot foul shots well, so it will be really important for our bigs to not foul. Scott draws a lot of fouls and shoots 75%.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Colorado sucks, bring on the Jayhawks

Not worried about round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics