LOL - Deceptive Patriots trick Ravens using rulebook | The Boneyard

LOL - Deceptive Patriots trick Ravens using rulebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
""We wanted an opportunity to be able to ID who the eligible players were," Harbaugh said. "What [the Patriots] were doing was they announce the ineligible player and then Tom [Brady] would take them to the line right away and snap the ball before we had a chance to figure out who was lined up where. That was the deception part of it. It was clearly deception."

Wait a minute, you mean that the opposing team was not giving the defense time to prepare prior to the snap? Shucks, we should eliminate uptempo offenses so the defense can substitute all the players it needs on every play. Next time, take a timeout, John.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/201...riots-substitutions-vs-baltimore-ravens-legal

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Love Brady's response "maybe those guys should learn the rule book".

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Love Brady's response "maybe those guys should learn the rule book".
Kind of dickish but since I'm a Pat's fan, I found it funny.

Reaction Score
I am not a Pats fan, but it was legal. Kudos to them. Now it's up to the league to close the loophole.

Reaction Score
In summary, was it legal? Yes. Does this series of plays re-emphasize that Coach Bellicheck likely knows the NFL rule book better than any other person in the NFL? Yes (remember the issue with the blocked field goal kick late in the season). Did this series of plays push the envelope and violate the 'sprit' of the rule? Yes. My own opinion is that if a play is ineligible o be a receiver, they player should not be able to then 'pretend' to be a receiver and actually run a route (screen). Overall, I expect the rule book to be adjusted in the off-season to clamp down on such schemes while the shadow continues to grow around Belichick regarding his continuing effort to push the boundaries of fair play.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...ception-was-legal-fair-and-handled-reasonably

Reaction Score
UConn used that same formation on 2 (at least) separate occasions in 2009. Only difference is they used a tackle (think Zach Hurd) out wide, rather than a skill player.

First time.... a 2-pt conversionagainst Rutgers. Frazier threw a lateral to the "ineligible" player, replay official ruled it a fwd pass ....HCRE lost it on referee and was assessed an unsportsmanlike penalty.

Second time....at Notre Dame. ND defense wasn't fooled at all, ND had the TE who lined up as a tackle covered like glue. Frazier threw the ball anyway and was picked off.

Alabama used the formation against LSU on a key play in SEC championship game a few years ago also.

Reaction Score
In summary, was it legal? Yes. Does this series of plays re-emphasize that Coach Bellicheck likely knows the NFL rule book better than any other person in the NFL? Yes (remember the issue with the blocked field goal kick late in the season). Did this series of plays push the envelope and violate the 'sprit' of the rule? Yes. My own opinion is that if a play is ineligible o be a receiver, they player should not be able to then 'pretend' to be a receiver and actually run a route (screen). Overall, I expect the rule book to be adjusted in the off-season to clamp down on such schemes while the shadow continues to grow around Belichick regarding his continuing effort to push the boundaries of fair play.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...ception-was-legal-fair-and-handled-reasonably

It's an easy formation to recognize.

Reaction Score
Making a fuss about this was actually a smart move by Harbaugh. It takes the attention away from his team blowing 14 point leads, twice.

Still, if it was so confusing, why didn't anyone on the Ravens call a timeout? In addition to announcing which player had reported as ineligible, the referee also said before one play that the defense doesn't need to cover #34. How much more clarity needed to be added?

If Chip Kelly ran this in a playoff game, the talk would exclusively be about what brilliant play call it was. The Patriots do it and part of the reaction is "Oooh, deceptive, shadowy loophole."

Reaction Score
If Chip Kelly ran this in a playoff game, the talk would exclusively be about what brilliant play call it was. The Patriots do it and part of the reaction is "Oooh, deceptive, shadowy loophole."

Well, Belichick does have a long history of bending the rules and getting slapped over it...

Reaction Score
Well, Belichick does have a long history of bending the rules and getting slapped over it...

This is a regular play. It is run by Alabama and Auburn all the time. In fact, it's called "Fight Song." It was run in the NFL multiple times this year.

Legislating against it is idiotic because who is to say what a lineman has to look like.

There is no loophole and no possibility of legislating against it.

On the replay, you can hear the stadium announcer say, "#34 reporting as ineligible." The refs pointed at Vereen for 10 seconds.

Harbaugh is a liar.

Reaction Score
My guess is Belichick thought this up in his offseason lab but waited until he needed it in the playoffs to deploy it. The NFL will likely alter the rule in the offseason but kudos to the Pats!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
UConn used that same formation on 2 (at least) separate occasions in 2009. Only difference is they used a tackle (think Zach Hurd) out wide, rather than a skill player.

First time.... a 2-pt conversionagainst Rutgers. Frazier threw a lateral to the "ineligible" player, replay official ruled it a fwd pass ....HCRE lost it on referee and was assessed an unsportsmanlike penalty.

Second time....at Notre Dame. ND defense wasn't fooled at all, ND had the TE who lined up as a tackle covered like glue. Frazier threw the ball anyway and was picked off.

Alabama used the formation against LSU on a key play in SEC championship game a few years ago also.

I still have yet to see a replay that shows that pass as being a forward pass. I've never been angrier at a football game, ever.

Reaction Score
This is a regular play. It is run by Alabama and Auburn all the time. In fact, it's called "Fight Song." It was run in the NFL multiple times this year.

Legislating against it is idiotic because who is to say what a lineman has to look like.

There is no loophole and no possibility of legislating against it.

On the replay, you can hear the stadium announcer say, "#34 reporting as ineligible." The refs pointed at Vereen for 10 seconds.

Harbaugh is a liar.

I agree, this is nuts. It's the easiest thing in the world to tell whether anyone is an eligible receiver by sight. They teach this in peewees:

1. Is he in the backfield? If yes, he is eligible.
2. If no, is he on an end of the line? If yes, he is eligible.
3. If no, he is not eligible.

Reaction Score
It's not the first time Belichick has done something shady and probably not the last. When you couple this move with a quick count, it's very deceptive.

Reaction Score
The NFL has ruled and said the plays were legal. So get over it. Coach BB just out smarted the opposing coach again.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's not the first time Belichick has done something shady and probably not the last. When you couple this move with a quick count, it's very deceptive.
Yeah, the hurry up offense is unfair. Teams should only be allowed to snap the ball in the last 5 seconds of the play clock. :rolleyes:

The refs actually told the players they don't have to cover #34.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Yeah, the hurry up offense is unfair. Teams should only be allowed to snap the ball in the last 5 seconds of the play clock. :rolleyes:

The refs actually told the players they don't have to cover #34.

The play action pass, pump fakes, zone blitzes; all deceptive, all unfair. The league better close those loopholes right away. ;)

Harbaugh claims he's never seen anything like that, anywhere. Then Jimmy Johnson points out that high school teams run these plays. Alabama used something very similar against LSU this year. And John's brother used a variation of it last December.

When you watch that play (warning: you may have to sit through a commercial first), note that there's nothing unusual about the 49ers formation. Staley is lined up at left tackle and even blocks momentarily before going out for the pass. There was nothing out of the ordinary, like a tight end lining at left tackle and the tackle switching to left guard. I couldn't find any postgame comments from Bruce Arians about this. I can only assume he complained about being deceived and asked for the league to stop teams from doing it, because that's the completely rational response.

Reaction Score
When you couple this move with a quick count, it's very deceptive.

I was thinking about the quick count, too. Maybe het Pats should trade-up in the 2015 draft and grab that QB Winston. The Pats have shown that have no issue for covering up for shady behavior as long as the player produces. Imagine how fast they can get that quick count executed after Brady retires with a QB who will gladly push the referee out of the way to get the play off as quick as possible.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I was thinking about the quick count, too. Maybe het Pats should trade-up in the 2015 draft and grab that QB Winston. The Pats have shown that have no issue for covering up for shady behavior as long as the player produces. Imagine how fast they can get that quick count executed after Brady retires with a QB who will gladly push the referee out of the way to get the play off as quick as possible.
Yeah, I can't believe Aaron Hernandez is still on the roster and they are paying for his legal defense.:rolleyes:

Sounds like you are describing the Patriots' opponent from Saturday evening.

Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead approves of Terell Suggs almost choking his wife to death.

Just thought I'd mention that.

By the way, you can find this play called "Fight Song" under Alabama and Auburn's plays in EA Sports NCAA Football 14. Apparently, some programming geeks knew about this play, but not Harbaugh.

Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead approves of Terell Suggs almost choking his wife to death.

Just thought I'd mention that.

By the way, you can find this play called "Fight Song" under Alabama and Auburn's plays in EA Sports NCAA Football 14. Apparently, some programming geeks knew about this play, but not Harbaugh.

And pouring bleach on her and their child. That's all okay.

As for the "quick snap" myth, Peter King has at least 7 seconds passing between the ref announcing the ineligible player and the snap of the ball. 7-10 seconds is enough time for someone on Baltimore to realize something different is going on and, at a minimum, call a timeout, especially on 3 plays in a row.

Reaction Score
And pouring bleach on her and their child. That's all okay.

As for the "quick snap" myth, Peter King has at least 7 seconds passing between the ref announcing the ineligible player and the snap of the ball. 7-10 seconds is enough time for someone on Baltimore to realize something different is going on and, at a minimum, call a timeout, especially on 3 plays in a row.

The thing about King that roiled me in his MMQB this morning is he lauded the Patriots O-line yesterday. I mean, Josh Kline was tossed around like a rag doll. Brady was bludgeoned. And yet here we have King lauding these guys for protecting him. I read where Brady was 95% on throws that he released after 1 second. And he had 2 dozen of those. Seriously, Peter? You may have missed it, but Brady pretty much beat the myth that hitting him hard and repeatedly takes him off his game. He was hit hard and repeatedly, and came back for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom