Lofty praise for UConn's Marriner (Jim Fuller) | The Boneyard

Lofty praise for UConn's Marriner (Jim Fuller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good read and tease for the print/website article:

>>"You can check the Register's site later today for the feature which includes Gibson's thoughts on UConn picking up a player that he told former Husky assistant coach Darrell Perkins 'you are going to get the steal of the whole Eastern seaboard.' Gibson, who coached in California before moving to Virginia also said that if Marriner was a player in California he would have received around 8-10 offers from Pac-12 schools."<<

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/08/lofty-praise-for-uconns-marriner.html

>>Here is a quote that due to space limitations I was not able to get into the feature I filed on him for tomorrow's paper that I thought people would love:

"Here is why you want him on your football team. he is one of those kids that when you are at your big dinners when your big boosters and alumni are writing those big-time checks, he is the kid up front talking and being at that three-piece suit. When he gets done talking they say 'he is the type of kid that you have on this football team? How much do you want?'<<

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Between Mad Max and Marriner, I really like our backs going into the season. Johnson and Newsome provide a good speed dynamic too. It's all on the OL now, but I'll be happy as heck if we can get back to running the football like we did before GDL crushed our OL.

Reaction Score
Certainly psyches one up who is understandably skeptical about the running game. It has been a while since we had some real quality running backs and some depth at the position. As Dooley points out, the pressure may now be on the OL to make things happen. I'm ready.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I remember being at that Notre Dame in '09 and knowing that UCONN could run the ball on any down and distance and gain good yardage. Our running game that day simply overwhelmed their front D and by the time the 2nd half rolled around, we had imposed our physicality and will on them. That's the kind of feeling I want to emanate again on offense. Yes, it's important to take shots down the field in the air. But the best way to open up those opportunities is by re-establishing the kind of physical running game that had come associated with UCONN football for years. I know that I'm old fashioned and this goes against the grain of the high octane offensive trends around football these days, but man it will feel good to run the football once again.

Reaction Score
Certainly psyches one up who is understandably skeptical about the running game. It has been a while since we had some real quality running backs and some depth at the position. As Dooley points out, the pressure may now be on the OL to make things happen. I'm ready.

Since Pasqualoni didn't rotate his backs, we might have had exception RB depth but didn't know it.

Reaction Score
Between Mad Max and Marriner, I really like our backs going into the season. Johnson and Newsome provide a good speed dynamic too. It's all on the OL now, but I'll be happy as heck if we can get back to running the football like we did before GDL crushed our OL.

I'd be willing to go further than that if not for their youth and the uncertainty of the OL. They haven't proven it yet, but this could turn out to be a very special group. I'm excited about the season, but bracing for those games where we show flashes of what will be, while inconsistency rules the day. Can our coaching and QB decisions carry us or will one of these backs or recievers come up with that big play we need? Just keep moving the chains. The rest will follow.

Reaction Score
Good read and tease for the print/website article:

>>"You can check the Register's site later today for the feature which includes Gibson's thoughts on UConn picking up a player that he told former Husky assistant coach Darrell Perkins 'you are going to get the steal of the whole Eastern seaboard.' Gibson, who coached in California before moving to Virginia also said that if Marriner was a player in California he would have received around 8-10 offers from Pac-12 schools."<<

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/08/lofty-praise-for-uconns-marriner.html

>>Here is a quote that due to space limitations I was not able to get into the feature I filed on him for tomorrow's paper that I thought people would love:

"Here is why you want him on your football team. he is one of those kids that when you are at your big dinners when your big boosters and alumni are writing those big-time checks, he is the kid up front talking and being at that three-piece suit. When he gets done talking they say 'he is the type of kid that you have on this football team? How much do you want?'<<

Here is another link: http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20...aco-has-high-hopes-running-back-josh-marriner

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Since Pasqualoni didn't rotate his backs, we might have had exception RB depth but didn't know it.
Yeah, he didn't like Jaguars......

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Per Greg Gibson, JM's high school coach: "if that kid was playing in a team from California he would have had eight to 10 Pac-12 offers. I know that for a fact because I know the type of kids that they are recruiting. I am stunned, but I am glad UConn was a big school offering him and now he can spend the next three years proving everybody wrong.” I am really pumped to see what this young man can do. Unleash the dogs! Less than 3 weeks till opening day!

Reaction Score
Per Greg Gibson, JM's high school coach: "if that kid was playing in a team from California he would have had eight to 10 Pac-12 offers. I know that for a fact because I know the type of kids that they are recruiting. I am stunned, but I am glad UConn was a big school offering him and now he can spend the next three years proving everybody wrong.” I am really pumped to see what this young man can do. Unleash the dogs! Less than 3 weeks till opening day!
I mentioned this a number of times over the past 2 years on the BY that after talking to Josh's dad on the sidelines of last years last open practice I got the impression that he is a special kid. He turned down the Naval Academy to prove a point. Not many offers for a Virginia HS 100 meter dash All Stater plus All State in Football. We got a steal, I was praying that he would stick it out long enough to see the steaming pile mucked clean. Now he has his chance and as everyone said before me it is up to the OL to do their job. I know it will be a learning experience but I expect the RB situation will be in good hands for years to come. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
We know what Max brings which will only be improved by the new conditioning program. At the Spring game watching Marriner it sure looked to me like he was ready and very confident that he was going to have a big year. He should be getting the fans on their feet a bunch this season. The running game will be back- no doubt about it.

Reaction Score
I absolutely believe that we are hearing more about Marriner so that we will not think about Newsome or Johnson. Also the Offensive line is going to be good. We are in for some big surprises! Diaco will not accept
poor effort.

Reaction Score
I absolutely believe that we are hearing more about Marriner so that we will not think about Newsome or Johnson.

We are hearing about Marriner because that staff realizes he's extremely talented - having a hard time believing it's just a diversionary tactic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Absolutely true about Marriner, huskymedic. I didn't mean it was just diversionary.

Reaction Score
Stinger92860 said:
I want him to eat up yards and clock, then score. We have had way too many 3 and outs the last 3 years.

Greedy :)

Reaction Score
I really can't wait to see this kid get on the field. He has the build and ability to be a full-time ball carrier. His HS tape is tremendous. From all accounts he is great kid as well. I think DeLorenzo and Marriner will make a great tandem in the backfield for 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom