Location? Location? Location? | The Boneyard

Location? Location? Location?

Reaction Score
Looking through the top 25 one thing struck me: 22 out of 25 teams play in a town that is a far cry from a 'destination'. The argument has been made for years, especially in regards to UConn, that nobody wants to go to a place where there is nothing to do. This couldn't be further from the truth yet it is still a popular argument amongst fans.
Storrs? Spokane? Waco? Tuscon? Omaha?
The only 3 destinations in the top 25 are Philly, Miami, and Austin.
Just wanted to shut this argument down once and for all.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Looking through the top 25 one thing struck me: 22 out of 25 teams play in a town that is a far cry from a 'destination'. The argument has been made for years, especially in regards to UConn, that nobody wants to go to a place where there is nothing to do. This couldn't be further from the truth yet it is still a popular argument amongst fans.
Calhoun shut that argument down decades ago.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What aging Boneyarders think is a destination and what HS kids from around the country think is one are very different things (I mean, Philly, really?). What do you think they are looking for, art museums, musicals and 4* restaurants? They want college girls, cool dorms with video games, beer and maybe most of all, adoration. Any big public university can provide that, some more than others. Big cities mostly don't. St. Johns players would be anonymous in NYC. Knoxville probably beats Nashville on those metrics, and Gainesville beats Miami. Austin pretty much ticks every box.

Reaction Score
Have you ever been to Tucson? Cool place.
Have you ever been to Spokane? Very nice small city.
Have you ever been to Omaha? Pretty big city.
Have you ever been to Waco? No? Good, place is a dump. :)

None of those 4 places are anything remotely as quiet as Storrs. Your argument is dumb.

Location, location, location. Without it you're nowhere.

That poster with a gas station in the middle of nowhere hangs in our office. Makes me laugh every time I read it.

Reaction Score
Have you ever been to Tucson? Cool place.
Have you ever been to Spokane? Very nice small city.
Have you ever been to Omaha? Pretty big city.
Have you ever been to Waco? No? Good, place is a dump. :)

None of those 4 places are anything remotely as quiet as Storrs. Your argument is dumb.

Location, location, location. Without it you're nowhere.

That poster with a gas station in the middle of nowhere hangs in our office. Makes me laugh every time I read it.
I've been to all those places as a touring musician for 20 years. You're giving Tucson, Spokane and Omaha waaaaay too much credit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The thing I loved about UConn is that you own it. You come over that hill and everything you see is yours. It is only there because you and a few thousand other students just like you go there. Everything has been built for you. Your friends are there. It exists to launch you future. That's it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What do you think they are looking for, art museums, musicals and 4* restaurants? They want college girls, cool dorms with video games, beer and maybe most of all, adoration.
And cow tipping.

Reaction Score
The thing I loved about UConn is that you own it. You come over that hill and everything you see is yours. It is only there because you and a few thousand other students just like you go there. Everything has been built for you. Your friends are there. It exists to launch you future. That's it.
Let me qualify that Storrs, CT was and still is my favorite place on Earth.

Reaction Score
I've been to all those places as a touring musician for 20 years. You're giving Tucson, Spokane and Omaha waaaaay too much credit.
I don't think any of those places are great but they all have waaaaay more to do than Storrs. Which isn't hard. :) But does it matter?

I agree it doesn't really matter since I don't think most recruits care. They're all on a college campus. And they're all there to get to the NBA or as high a professional place to play as possible. If location mattered that much Miami would have top 5 recruiting classes every year.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I believe it was an article in the Hartford Courant in the 80's

Paraphrasing, hey it's 30+ years ago
----------------------------------

"UConn should leave the Big East because they'll never be able to recruit inner city kids. Who will come to Storrs CT when they can choose

NYC, Boston, Providence, Philly, Pitt, DC and even Syracuse"

I think it may have been Alan Greenberg (may he RIP)

Reaction Score
I don't think any of those places are great but they all have waaaaay more to do than Storrs. Which isn't hard. :) But does it matter?

I agree it doesn't really matter since I don't think most recruits care. They're all on a college campus. And they're all there to get to the NBA or as high a professional place to play as possible. If location mattered that much Miami would have top 5 recruiting classes every year.
100% I agree. It really doesn't matter at all where the school is. Also, on a side note, I'm biased as an Alum but I'd personally take Storrs over most city campuses. They aren't campuses at all, most times.

Reaction Score
I believe it was an article in the Hartford Courant in the 80's

Paraphrasing, hey it's 30+ years ago

"UConn should leave the Big East because they'll never be able to recruit inner city kids. Who will come to Storrs CT when they can choose

NYC, Boston, Providence, Philly, Pitt, DC and even Syracuse"

I think it may have been Alan Greenberg (may he RIP)
Nice find! That's gold

Reaction Score
Look at the new fitness center for Univ of Michigan athletes. You think someone would rather go to a "cooler" city or a program dedicated to building great college athletes?

https://images.rivals.com/image/upload/duckauto,q_auto/lshcahqkmjpinowdenuz

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom