Local Pieces on Aaliyah Edwards and Mir McLean | The Boneyard

Local Pieces on Aaliyah Edwards and Mir McLean

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Canadian women's national team head coach Lisa Thomaidis had similar praise for Aaliyah.

"I think the biggest thing with her is she competes, you know, she really competes hard. She's got a great motor."

Already, the coach envisions Edwards playing a versatile role. At 6-foot-3, she has the skillset to become the positionless player that's become en vogue in recent years — someone who can play inside out on offence and guard virtually every position on defence.

On the court, rebounding, ball handling and shooting range are traits Thomaidis and Auriemma agreed are strengths of Edwards.

Off the court, it's that professional mindset.

McLean said she’s learning and hearing a lot from Auriemma during her first year. She’s getting used to playing on the perimeter at the college level, from adjusting to her team’s plays to knowing every spot.

“He’s very wise. He’s really intelligent, and we do want to push hard,” McLean said of Auriemma. “He kind of has a way of explaining it to you before raising his voice.”

She said her goals as a freshman at UConn include working on setting good screens as well as being vocal and a tough defender. McLean sees herself coming off the bench, so that will take some pressure off once the season gets going.

Reaction Score
The more we hear comments from coaches on AE the more I have confidence she is the real deal. Particularly on those traits mentioned most often. For Mir it seems like her relevance in the rotation is still a work in progress. Clearly Geno has given indications that 8 players are fitting in and can be expected to play regular minutes. Also based on some of his comments, Geno suggests that sometimes Mir looks like she is getting there.

In the pecking order she appears to be the obvious #9. Not part of the top 8, but clearly mentioned as closer to them, than say Piath or Autumn. Based on the article it appears that she is being viewed like a swing forward, a 3/4. From that perspective she could be the third option at both positions, behind Anna and Evina at the 3, and Aubrey and Aaliyah at the 4. Yes I know Evina may be used some elsewhere, but regardless of who starts at the three, Anna or Evina, the other one looks to be the first option there for backup minutes.

If one of those four is injured, sick, or in foul trouble, Mir probably gets used in a significant way, if not she could be the 9th player in a rotation of 8. Another possibility for more minutes, however, would be as a situational substitute. Not so much with the other three but in Anna's case, Mir's skills are so different that Geno could find moments in the game where he values defense and rebounding from the SF position (Mir), as opposed to ball-handling, passing, and outside shooting (Anna).

If Geno is describing Mir as one of, if not the best athlete he has ever had, that is certainly very high praise. But among the rest of the freshmen class, Paige is a consensus #1, Aaliyah has been compared to Napheesa, Nika to Jennifer Rizzotti, Evina gets added to the mix as the #2 player in her class, and Aubrey comes back after a promising freshman season. Other than last year's starters, those are the players Mir would need to take minutes from.

Things happen, probably even more so in this crazy year, so she is likely to get some opportunities because one of the top 8 is not available, and if she forces her way into regular minutes, turning it into a 9 player rotation, then it means she has done very well indeed, because there are no mediocre players in the top 8.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mir seems to have a realistic view. In addition, she notes how much she is improving. I agree that she clearly appears to be 9th on the depth chart, but she should get some opportunities. When her basketball improves, her athleticism will make her spectacular.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The more we hear comments from coaches on AE the more I have confidence she is the real deal. Particularly on those traits mentioned most often. For Mir it seems like her relevance in the rotation is still a work in progress. Clearly Geno has given indications that 8 players are fitting in and can be expected to play regular minutes. Also based on some of his comments, Geno suggests that sometimes Mir looks like she is getting there.

In the pecking order she appears to be the obvious #9. Not part of the top 8, but clearly mentioned as closer to them, than say Piath or Autumn. Based on the article it appears that she is being viewed like a swing forward, a 3/4. From that perspective she could be the third option at both positions, behind Anna and Evina at the 3, and Aubrey and Aaliyah at the 4. Yes I know Evina may be used some elsewhere, but regardless of who starts at the three, Anna or Evina, the other one looks to be the first option there for backup minutes.

If one of those four is injured, sick, or in foul trouble, Mir probably gets used in a significant way, if not she could be the 9th player in a rotation of 8. Another possibility for more minutes, however, would be as a situational substitute. Not so much with the other three but in Anna's case, Mir's skills are so different that Geno could find moments in the game where he values defense and rebounding from the SF position (Mir), as opposed to ball-handling, passing, and outside shooting (Anna).

If Geno is describing Mir as one of, if not the best athlete he has ever had, that is certainly very high praise. But among the rest of the freshmen class, Paige is a consensus #1, Aaliyah has been compared to Napheesa, Nika to Jennifer Rizzotti, Evina gets added to the mix as the #2 player in her class, and Aubrey comes back after a promising freshman season. Other than last year's starters, those are the players Mir would need to take minutes from.

Things happen, probably even more so in this crazy year, so she is likely to get some opportunities because one of the top 8 is not available, and if she forces her way into regular minutes, turning it into a 9 player rotation, then it means she has done very well indeed, because there are no mediocre players in the top 8.

Agreed. I reached that conclusion this summer. Christyn Williams first clued us in with her rant about how "tough" she is during their initial practice sessions, then Geno and Jamelle followed that up and chimed in with their own perceptions of how tough, unapologetic and "intense" she is.

I was a fan before I read those comments, but now, I'm an even BIGGER fan. Aaliyah appears to be the type of player that is very easy to like and will quickly become a fan favorite. She's been compared to Napheesa Collier by Geno, who I recall once saying that he would like to have about 5-6 more Napheesa clones. :)

Collier had a very high and intense motor (in addition to a high BB IQ), she never quit on you, and she could give you 40 "quality" minutes whenever asked to do so. Collier finished 3rd on UConn's individual career scoring list behind Maya Moore and Breanna Stewart. Geno said Edwards has the type of "toughness" and intensity that has been missing from his teams lately, and is a very welcome and refreshing dynamic to have on the team once again.

The tea leaves tell me Aaliyah is going to have a breakout season THIS year. I expect her and Bueckers to be selected to the conference all-freshman team, with Bueckers selected as BIG East freshman of the year.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom