Loaded UConn women push for program's 12th national title | The Boneyard

Loaded UConn women push for program's 12th national title

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"But coach Geno Auriemma says he's bemused by the idea anything short of a 12th NCAA title for his program will be a disappointment."
“I kind of get a kick out of that, because most people if they had won one in 1916, people would be happy to win a second one,” he said. “But, it is what it is. We created it. We did it. We own it and we embrace it.”

Reaction Score
The only problem with that approach is that anything less than a championship then feels like a failure, which leads to disappointment, wailing, and gnashing of teeth on the Boneyard for months afterward....;)

While I don't think Geno had the Boneyard in mind specifically, the message certainly applies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The only problem with that approach is that anything less than a championship then feels like a failure, which leads to disappointment, wailing, and gnashing of teeth on the Boneyard for months afterward....;)

While I don't think Geno had the Boneyard in mind specifically, the message certainly applies.
Personally I love where the bar is set and the main reason I love this program.
The BY will always find a reason to gnashing teeth. Guarantee then the program secures #12 a thread will be started wondering why it took so long.

Reaction Score

Don’t forget the tearing of clothes. :mad:

Reaction Score
The right words but let’s get serious. With this talented team and the pattern of coming up short, anything less than a championship will be a major disappointment. I don’t think that’s a bad thing. Maybe it’s what needs to be instilled in the locker room. When you have a player that says she needs to kick ass and she’s a senior, something has been missing in the messaging.

if they come up short with this team and Geno is not disappointed, Queen Elizabeth is a pole vaulter.

Reaction Score
Frankly, given how loaded UConn is, I would prefer to take our 14 players, cancel the schedule, divide them between Geno and CD, and play two games a week, rather than watch the actual season. That would be fun basketball. Sure there going to be a few really good games in the upcoming season but those inter squad scrimmages would do me just fine, especially if we could talk Anna into coming back.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Frankly, given how loaded UConn is, I would prefer to take our 14 players, cancel the schedule, divide them between Geno and CD, and play two games a week, rather than watch the actual season. That would be fun basketball. Sure there going to be a few really good games in the upcoming season but those inter squad scrimmages would do me just fine, especially if we could talk Anna into coming back.
See, you are EXACTLY the type of spoiled, pampered fan that Geno is talking about. Way to show respect to your opponents!

By your logic let's look at all the P5 conferences:
SEC with SC-no one is going to give them any competition,
BigTen-Maryland will run away with virtually every game,
ACC-NC State will have 1 good game with Louisville and the two them will beat upon the rest.
PAC-12- Stanford is heads and shoulders above EVERYONE and while Oregon is being touted, that roster and the dysfunction at the end of last year needs to seriously improve.
Big12-Texas will now rule that roost despite Baylor having more talent. No other team in that conference can contend.

The games still have to be played and see what unfolds. Jeesh, some fans....
Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

Reaction Score
The right words but let’s get serious. With this talented team and the pattern of coming up short, anything less than a championship will be a major disappointment. I don’t think that’s a bad thing. Maybe it’s what needs to be instilled in the locker room. When you have a player that says she needs to kick ass and she’s a senior, something has been missing in the messaging.

if they come up short with this team and Geno is not disappointed, Queen Elizabeth is a pole vaulter.

Well that didn't take long. Six posts. :confused:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Any word anywhere about that scrimmage UConn was suposed to have? Anyone?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
?

Reaction Score
Wit UConn so loaded & deep, and the National contenders very top heavy, I see only 3 "close" games before the Final Four. I define "close" as the game outcome being in doubt in the 4Q. Geno's team has to come through in the FF or it will be a disappointment.

Reaction Score
Don't forget the rending and tearing of flesh (sparagmos) and the eating of flesh (omaphagia). All hail Dionysus, King of post season Boneyard's.
There’s also lots of rending and tearing of flesh in Dante’s Inferno.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wit UConn so loaded & deep, and the National contenders very top heavy, I see only 3 "close" games before the Final Four. I define "close" as the game outcome being in doubt in the 4Q. Geno's team has to come through in the FF or it will be a disappointment.
Strongly disagree with this. Keep in mind that this team has to incorporate 5 new players, three (Dorka, Azzi & Caroline) of who are expected, per Geno, to play a significant role and possible contend for a starting spot. The Battle for Atlantis could possible see UCONN facing South Carolina and Oregon both ranked team on a Neutral court. Don't see either of those games being decided by the the time the 4th quarter comes around. UCONN also has 4 consecutive games against ranked teams beginning on December 5th against ND (Yes ND is a ranked team ) and ending with Louisville on December 19. The Louisville game is kind of ominous because it coincides with the end of finals week on Dec 19th for UCONN. The in between games GT and UCLA are essentially away games in Atlanta and NJ respectively. Later in the season (Jan 17th) UCONN takes a cross country trip to play at Oregon. Later that month (Jan 27) UCONN heads to South Carolina. Think about it this way: even if UCONN is fortunate enough to beat Oregon and/or SC in Battle for Atlantis the rematch will be at their place. Lastly TN vs UCONN was a 6 point game last year while I predict a higher MOV for UCONN again I don't see that game being decided by the 4th quarter. By your definition I could see up to 9 UCONN games this season that are close. If this team is steam rolling teams by the time Christmas comes around I'd be simultaneously happy and worried about sustaining that until April rolls around.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Strongly disagree with this. Keep in mind that this team has to incorporate 5 new players, three (Dorka, Azzi & Caroline) of who are expected, per Geno, to play a significant role and possible contend for a starting spot. The Battle for Atlantis could possible see UCONN facing South Carolina and Oregon both ranked team on a Neutral court. Don't see either of those games being decided by the the time the 4th quarter comes around. UCONN also has 4 consecutive games against ranked teams beginning on December 5th against ND (Yes ND is a ranked team ) and ending with Louisville on December 19. The Louisville game is kind of ominous because it coincides with the end of finals week on Dec 19th for UCONN. The in between games GT and UCLA are essentially away games in Atlanta and NJ respectively. Later in the season (Jan 17th) UCONN takes a cross country trip to play at Oregon. Later that month (Jan 27) UCONN heads to South Carolina. Think about it this way: even if UCONN is fortunate enough to beat Oregon and/or SC in Battle for Atlantis the rematch will be at their place. Lastly TN vs UCONN was a 6 point game last year while I predict a higher MOV for UCONN again I don't see that game being decided by the 4th quarter. By your definition I could see up to 9 UCONN games this season that are close. If this team is steam rolling teams by the time Christmas comes around I'd be simultaneously happy and worried about sustaining that until April rolls around.
UConn can only face one of those two teams, if everything goes the way most people believe it will play out is that UConn will win their first two games, Minn and the Syracuse/USF winner, to get to the final. South Carolina will beat Buffalo and Oregon will beat Oklahoma and then play each other in their second game and the winner will play UConn.

Reaction Score
I'm sure that between Nintendo, Playstation, XBox, and a few dozen more, you can find something to entertain you.

Reaction Score
For the last 5 years, every new player that has been added was going to leverage THE Team into a National Championship. Now, this years TEAM is probably the most loaded with talent and skills in the past 5 years.With Geno and Chris at the helm, by all rights, this TEAM should win it all. A couple of other teams may have something to say about this. But, this year, they have the height, guards, the wings....everything you would expect these people should have. Now they have to learn to play together and feed off of each other. And, last, they need to have the heart and the desire to grab and take it and not let anyone take it away from them.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
I have a question for the BY. It's argued that the SEC is the best conference for wbb and I think UCONN has a decent record vs. Does anyone know what the team's overall record (regular and postseason) is against the SEC from the Lobo era to now?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I have a question for the BY. It's argued that the SEC is the best conference for wbb and I think UCONN has a decent record vs. Does anyone know what the team's overall record (regular and postseason) is against the SEC from the Lobo era to now?
From the 94-95 Championship team UConn has a 47 - 14 record with only one team winning more than once against Geno & the Huskies. Tennessee has won 9 times, while Georgia, LSU, Miss. St, SC, and Arkansas being the single game wins. UConn has only had 3 seasons where they had a losing record against the SEC, in 98 they went 0-1 (TN), in 05 0-1 (TN), and in 07 1-2 (TN & LSU).

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
From the 94-95 Championship team UConn has a 47 - 14 record with only one team winning more than once against Geno & the Huskies. Tennessee has won 9 times, while Georgia, LSU, Miss. St, SC, and Arkansas being the single game wins. UConn has only had 3 seasons where they had a losing record against the SEC, in 98 they went 0-1 (TN), in 05 0-1 (TN), and in 07 1-2 (TN & LSU).
Thank you!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Thank you!
Also, since 2007 the last year that they lost to Tennessee, their record is 25 - 3. They didn't play an SEC team in 2010 or 2011.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom