Liv's Excellent Summer Vacation | The Boneyard

Liv's Excellent Summer Vacation

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We all remember bursting through the building doors and bounding down the stairs on the last day of the school year for the start of summer vacation. Whether it’s elementary school, JR HS, HS or college, the prospect of hanging out with friends at the beach, family vacations, picnics and, for those that play sports, working out and playing ball every single day, without having to worry about homework, pop quizzes or whatever awful concoction the cafeteria was serving tomorrow, was an exhilarating feeling of freedom. Even for those of us with summer jobs lined up flipping burgers, cutting lawns, etc., having a few dollars in your pocket on a summer night provided its own type of freedom.

By all measures, Olivia Nelson-Ododa had an Excellent Summer Vacation. In fact, it was so good, she extended it right on into the first month of the school year. Liv hung out with her roomie playing 3x3 ball around the country and eventually traveled down to Lima, Peru where she and her teammates picked up the first gold medal ever in the Pan-Am Games 3x3 competition. More recently, she played a little 5x5 basketball, earning a spot as the youngest player on the USA FIBA Americas Cup team that also earned gold at the recent championship in Puerto Rico.

Along the way, Liv played with and against some very talented players. As a young post player with an enormous upside, what better way to improve your game than playing and practicing with players like Steph Dolson, Tina Charles and Sylvia Fowles. What’s more, Liv more than held her own, showing glimpses of the tremendous potential that earned her the designation as the #1 HS prospect in the country after her sophomore year in HS. Of course, Liv missed her entire junior year in HS, plus AAU ball, plus USA basketball due to a severe leg injury. As if to make up for lost time, Liv played a whole lot of basketball this past summer. She also found time to transform her thin, wiry frame into a lean, muscular body that will be better suited to handle the battles she will face in the post this season.

In another thread I commented that while Liv will not be UConn’s best player this coming season, IMO Liv will be the Husky’s most important player as they pursue their 13th straight FF and hopefully their 12th national championship. To her credit, Liv has done just about everything in her power to be ready for the challenge. Undoubtedly, she will have some ups and downs this season, but I expect that Liv will be one of the better post players in the country by March, if not sooner.

January 9 is circled on my calendar. Lauren Cox, the top post in the country, and the defending National Champion Baylor Lady Bears will pay a visit to the XL Center. It’s been almost 6 years since UConn WBB lost a game in the state of CT. If Liv holds her own against Cox, that streak may just continue for some time. Yes, I know. Oregon also pays a visit to Gampel on Feb 3. If the Huskies take down the Lady Bears, I’ll be feeling really good about their chances against the Ducks at Gampel.

Reaction Score
We all remember bursting through the building doors and bounding down the stairs on the last day of the school year for the start of summer vacation. Whether it’s elementary school, JR HS, HS or college, the prospect of hanging out with friends at the beach, family vacations, picnics and, for those that play sports, working out and playing ball every single day, without having to worry about homework, pop quizzes or whatever awful concoction the cafeteria was serving tomorrow, was an exhilarating feeling of freedom. Even for those of us with summer jobs lined up flipping burgers, cutting lawns, etc., having a few dollars in your pocket on a summer night provided its own type of freedom.

By all measures, Olivia Nelson-Ododa had an Excellent Summer Vacation. In fact, it was so good, she extended it right on into the first month of the school year. Liv hung out with her roomie playing 3x3 ball around the country and eventually traveled down to Lima, Peru where she and her teammates picked up the first gold medal ever in the Pan-Am Games 3x3 competition. More recently, she played a little 5x5 basketball, earning a spot as the youngest player on the USA FIBA Americas Cup team that also earned gold at the recent championship in Puerto Rico.

Along the way, Liv played with and against some very talented players. As a young post player with an enormous upside, what better way to improve your game than playing and practicing with players like Steph Dolson, Tina Charles and Sylvia Fowles. What’s more, Liv more than held her own, showing glimpses of the tremendous potential that earned her the designation as the #1 HS prospect in the country after her sophomore year in HS. Of course, Liv missed her entire junior year in HS, plus AAU ball, plus USA basketball due to a severe leg injury. As if to make up for lost time, Liv played a whole lot of basketball this past summer. She also found time to transform her thin, wiry frame into a lean, muscular body that will be better suited to handle the battles she will face in the post this season.

In another thread I commented that while Liv will not be UConn’s best player this coming season, IMO Liv will be the Husky’s most important player as they pursue their 13th straight FF and hopefully their 12th national championship. To her credit, Liv has done just about everything in her power to be ready for the challenge. Undoubtedly, she will have some ups and downs this season, but I expect that Liv will be one of the better post players in the country by March, if not sooner.

January 9 is circled on my calendar. Lauren Cox, the top post in the country, and the defending National Champion Baylor Lady Bears will pay a visit to the XL Center. It’s been almost 6 years since UConn WBB lost a game in the state of CT. If Liv holds her own against Cox, that streak may just continue for some time. Yes, I know. Oregon also pays a visit to Gampel on Feb 3. If the Huskies take down the Lady Bears, I’ll be feeling really good about their chances against the Ducks at Gampel.

Really looking forward to watching ONO play this season, I think she is poised to have a huge breakout year!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

Ah, the wisdom that can only come from an old dude. good job

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
a working vacation. Liv might as well get used to working over the summer now. ;)
This past season, Geno threw some shade at Liv over her work ethic. This coming season he'll have to find something new to get on her about.....maybe that she's not tall enough? :rolleyes:

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
ONO 2.jpg

Olivia's final stats at the AmeriCup are as follows:

1. Points -
ONO scored 31 points in 51 minutes of playing time. If we estimate she will play 25 minutes per game this season, that is an average of 15.5 pts per game. (51 minutes divided by 25 per game = 2 games)
2. Rebounds - Liv's 23 total rebounds would average 11.5 per game.
3. Shooting % - Olivia made 12 of 21 shots for a % of 57%. Best of all, she hit 7 of 10 free throws or 70%.
4. Assists/turnovers - She recorded 7 assists and only 1 turnover. That was the lowest turnover total for the entire team.
5. Steals & blocks - Liv had 2 steals and 3 blocked shots. She only had 8 fouls in 6 games.

Olivia basically had a double-double in points and rebounds if you project her playing time to a typical game. Most UConn fans would take 15 and 11 from Olivia all day. Candidly, she played like she belonged and appeared in great shape. Can't wait to see her this season..!!

Go Huskies..!!

(Tip of the hat to Sluconn who used this projection method to measure her results earlier in the tournament.)

Reaction Score
This past season, Geno threw some shade at Liv over her work ethic. This coming season he'll have to find something new to get on her about.....maybe that she's not tall enough? :rolleyes:

It'll be that she should be averaging double figure blocks: "She doesn't even have to jump, which is good because she can't."

Or something along those lines. :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While Liv got a lot stronger and developed her game this summer, she also displayed another skill that we hardly knew she possessed when she first got to Storrs. Most UConn WBB players don’t smile much during their freshman season. Hell, we barely knew Megan had any teeth during her challenging freshman season.

Towards the end of last season and then throughout the summer, in just about every photo I see of her, Liv is flashing a big, beautiful smile. In fact, Liv has been smiling so much that she might just challenge her roommate for the unofficial title of “Happiest Husky!”

Quite frankly, it’s wonderful to see young ladies like Liv come to Storrs and discover the joy that only comes from achieving success and finding a new level of confidence as a result.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
View attachment 46826

Olivia's final stats at the AmeriCup are as follows:

1. Points -
ONO scored 31 points in 51 minutes of playing time. If we estimate she will play 25 minutes per game this season, that is an average of 15.5 pts per game. (51 minutes divided by 25 per game = 2 games)
2. Rebounds - Liv's 23 total rebounds would average 11.5 per game.
3. Shooting % - Olivia made 12 of 21 shots for a % of 57%. Best of all, she hit 7 of 10 free throws or 70%.
4. Assists/turnovers - She recorded 7 assists and only 1 turnover. That was the lowest turnover total for the entire team.
5. Steals & blocks - Liv had 2 steals and 3 blocked shots. She only had 8 fouls in 6 games.

Olivia basically had a double-double in points and rebounds if you project her playing time to a typical game. Most UConn fans would take 15 and 11 from Olivia all day. Candidly, she played like she belonged and appeared in great shape. Can't wait to see her this season..!!

Go Huskies..!!

(Tip of the hat to Sluconn who used this projection method to measure her results earlier in the tournament.)
What great form. Classic! Squared up, eyes on the hoop, no palm on the ball, elbow in, shoulder elbow and wrist in line, and a release point around 8 feet. and shooting just inside the arc. I really like this picture

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Agree with all the positive assessments of Olivia, still very concerned with the fouls, that will be the biggest challenge for her this season...She was a Foul Machine Freshman year...Fingers crossed I am totally wrong...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tina holds the UConn record for rebounds in a season, 372. Rebecca and Stef each had 371. Can Liv go past 300? How far?

Reaction Score
Can we once and for all come up with a definition of "big".....maybe like a big = 1.10x a little ?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Collier had 411 last year. I realize she's not a "big" though.
I get misinformation when I use last year's Media Guide! I forgot that Phee averaged nearly 11 boards per game last year. She was really good!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I get misinformation when I use last year's Media Guide! I forgot that Phee averaged nearly 11 boards per game last year. She was really good!
They put out an end of season report also. I haven't seen this year's Media Guide yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom