[Liv, AE, Dorka, Caroline Ducharme] vs. [Boston, Cardoso, Amihere, Saxton] -- Who Wins? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

[Liv, AE, Dorka, Caroline Ducharme] vs. [Boston, Cardoso, Amihere, Saxton] -- Who Wins?

Reaction Score
No one should be surprised at the outcome of this game. Our bigs couldn't even handle little known post players from So. Florida, much less the likes of overwhelming talent SC provides. We'll be very lucky to make the final four this season. Just like SC, Stanford will kill us!

Reaction Score
Just wait... I think someone in the recruiting thread said that when Patterson shows up next year, she will be able to handle Boston.:rolleyes:
only if she fronts her...........;)

Reaction Score
to think some people really wanted to compare Dorka to Cardoso or Boson laughable

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
From my observation watching Amihere and Edwards play together, Amihere is better at putting the ball on the floor in the half court and creating her own shot. Edwards on the other hand needs better guard play to put her in position to score. Canada guards were all about getting their own shot so Edwards was less effective.
Hence this was a lost summer in her development and it shows

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
to think some people really wanted to compare Dorka to Cardoso or Boson laughable
This response is to you and to AgStatesman and others who basically wrote the same thing.

Let's go to today's box score:

For South Carolina:

Boston 22 points, 15 rebounds in 34 minutes
Saxton 2 points, 3 rebounds in 22 minutes
Cardoso 4 points, 6 rebounds in 12 minutes
Amihere 1 point, 2 rebounds in 17 minutes

For UConn:

Liv 6 points, 5 rebounds in 34 minutes
Aaliyah 6 points, 3 rebounds in 22 minutes
Dorka 2 points, 3 rebounds (all offensive!) in 19 minutes

I think the only conclusion that you can draw from these stats is that Aliyah Boston was a dominant player today. She was in Stewie mode. The other six post players on both teams who are listed above were all average by comparison, and were not particularly distinguishable from one another in productivity.

So, yes, the Gamecocks by virtue of Boston dominated the front court today, but it was her individually who did that. You can say that Cardoso was fairly productive in VERY limited minutes (why were her minutes so limited -- is it a conditioning thing?), but still her bottom-line performance was not especially impressive.

Also, the above statistics suggest (and my eyeballs would agree) that AE outplayed her Canadian teammate Amihere in this game, despite playing behind her on the Olympic team.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If "rounds" are quarters, then it was a 4th round knockout after UConn looked at least equal and perhaps superior in the first half (first two "rounds").

Reaction Score
Apparently South Carolina also played an exhibition game against a D2 school recently, but I have not seen it. But now that we have seen the UConn post players in action, and since we have seen their Gamecock counterparts in games against UConn last year (including Cardoso when she played for Syracuse), the question arises as to which set of post players has the advantage.

I think I would honestly be inclined to give the edge to South Carolina, mainly because UConn has no one who is a real matchup for Aliyah Boston. But the advantage is not clearcut. If the SC starters are Boston and Cardoso (as I would expect), then I have to think that Boston would play away from the basket and would be taking shots from 10 to 15 feet. Unlike UConn's posts other than Dorka, Boston can hit those shots at a good percentage, so this would be a real threat in conjunction with Cardoso in the low post. I am not sure how good a passer Boston or any of their other posts are, however -- I suspect that this has not received a lot of attention in South Carolina's offensive planning. So if UConn can make the passes difficult (both from the guards to the post and from the high post to the low post), that could make the Gamecocks' offense grind and falter.

I do think that the UConn post players can rebound as well or better than the SC bigs, so I don't think SC would score an inordinate number of second-chance points. But on the other hand, I think UConn post players are more prone to foul trouble than the SC players -- and that could be a big problem when the two teams play.

I think UConn will have a clear advantage on the perimeter, and will shoot from the perimeter with much better efficiency than SC. It's just a question of whether UConn's defense can force the guards to take shots, i.e., deny or greatly impair their ability to feed the post.

I'm focusing on South Carolina rather than Stanford or any other team (such as Maryland) both because there is a good chance that UConn and SC will play twice during the regular season, and because the SC players are familiar to UConn fans who watched the games in the last two years. South Carolina won two years ago by nearly 20 points, and lost to UConn last year in overtime. Before that, UConn won all the previous contests quite handily. So something seemed to change when Aaliyah Boston arrived in Columbia. UConn has had more trouble dealing with her than with A'ja Wilson or any other post player that they have had. That will most likely continue in the current year.

On a related point, does anyone know why Laeticia Amihere played ahead of Aaliyah Edwards on the Canadian National team? Based on what I have observed of their productivity on their college teams, Edwards has appeared to me to be more productive. So why didn't the Canadian coaches see it that way?
This aged poorly.

Reaction Score
Now that we have more Post depth, our guys can go after the ball with a little extra SEC like abandon. And with our 3pt game improved, some of the SC Posts will have to play a little farther out. SC may win the boards but I doubt we will out rebounded by 13.
try 23

Reaction Score
All respect to UConn but I would like to hear from the posters who claimed they’d take Edwards over Boston in a heartbeat

Reaction Score
All respect to UConn but I would like to hear from the posters who claimed they’d take Edwards over Boston in a heartbeat
They can’t answer… the meds make them sleepy.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Liv had how many blocks, until the 4th when the team folded she was fine. Boston was called for 3 fouls committed many more a recurring theme there. And comparing Boston to Stewart, seriously.

Reaction Score
all due respect to Coates, Cardoso is a much much tougher player with a higher ceiling.

I think people here seem fond of putting Coates down. She was very tough, and her ceiling was always much higher than she chose to reach for, while at South Carolina.

Alaina was a strong, consistent scorer her entire career at South Carolina - she averaged 12.1 ppg, 9.3 rpg, and 1.6 bpg. She's the all-time career Gamecock leader in FG % overall with .620 FG %, and in SEC play with .610 FG %. This includes shooting 308 for 470 (.655) for her final 2 seasons, when she averaged 12.5 ppg and 10.5 rpg.

She had some games where she got a wild hair up her....well, when she put up 20-25 pts and 15-20 rebounds and dominated offensively the way Wilson always did. She just didn't always look to be the dominant go-to post player. But she could have done a lot more offensively with how consistent and efficient she always was in scoring, especially her final 2 seasons. She was a pretty dominant player in her own right. Cardoso may end up developing into an all-time great Gamecocks, but Alaina was always the player that had the "attitude" on the team, and she backed down from no one. At this point in time in Cardoso's career, I would say Coates was the far tougher player. We'll see......

Reaction Score
No one should be surprised at the outcome of this game. Our bigs couldn't even handle little known post players from So. Florida, much less the likes of overwhelming talent SC provides. We'll be very lucky to make the final four this season. Just like SC, Stanford will kill us!

An awful lot of season still left to be played, friend..... :)

Reaction Score
SC was number 2 in the nation( Duke only played 4 games) in rebound margin at 14.4 a game. SC out rebounded UConn by 13 last year without Cardosa. Brea Beal(10) and Saxton(8) had more rebounds than Edwards and Nelson-Ododa. I don't see how you think UConn post players can rebound better than SC post players. I guess it can happen but the evidence say otherwise.
I think your case has been proven.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom