[Liv, AE, Dorka, Caroline Ducharme] vs. [Boston, Cardoso, Amihere, Saxton] -- Who Wins? | The Boneyard

[Liv, AE, Dorka, Caroline Ducharme] vs. [Boston, Cardoso, Amihere, Saxton] -- Who Wins?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Apparently South Carolina also played an exhibition game against a D2 school recently, but I have not seen it. But now that we have seen the UConn post players in action, and since we have seen their Gamecock counterparts in games against UConn last year (including Cardoso when she played for Syracuse), the question arises as to which set of post players has the advantage.

I think I would honestly be inclined to give the edge to South Carolina, mainly because UConn has no one who is a real matchup for Aliyah Boston. But the advantage is not clearcut. If the SC starters are Boston and Cardoso (as I would expect), then I have to think that Boston would play away from the basket and would be taking shots from 10 to 15 feet. Unlike UConn's posts other than Dorka, Boston can hit those shots at a good percentage, so this would be a real threat in conjunction with Cardoso in the low post. I am not sure how good a passer Boston or any of their other posts are, however -- I suspect that this has not received a lot of attention in South Carolina's offensive planning. So if UConn can make the passes difficult (both from the guards to the post and from the high post to the low post), that could make the Gamecocks' offense grind and falter.

I do think that the UConn post players can rebound as well or better than the SC bigs, so I don't think SC would score an inordinate number of second-chance points. But on the other hand, I think UConn post players are more prone to foul trouble than the SC players -- and that could be a big problem when the two teams play.

I think UConn will have a clear advantage on the perimeter, and will shoot from the perimeter with much better efficiency than SC. It's just a question of whether UConn's defense can force the guards to take shots, i.e., deny or greatly impair their ability to feed the post.

I'm focusing on South Carolina rather than Stanford or any other team (such as Maryland) both because there is a good chance that UConn and SC will play twice during the regular season, and because the SC players are familiar to UConn fans who watched the games in the last two years. South Carolina won two years ago by nearly 20 points, and lost to UConn last year in overtime. Before that, UConn won all the previous contests quite handily. So something seemed to change when Aaliyah Boston arrived in Columbia. UConn has had more trouble dealing with her than with A'ja Wilson or any other post player that they have had. That will most likely continue in the current year.

On a related point, does anyone know why Laeticia Amihere played ahead of Aaliyah Edwards on the Canadian National team? Based on what I have observed of their productivity on their college teams, Edwards has appeared to me to be more productive. So why didn't the Canadian coaches see it that way?

Reaction Score
Ehh, I would give the edge to SC. I dont think they will start Cardoso. They used her in the same way UConn used Dorka. She subbed for Boston, and had a few minutes where they played together. Of course these were all exhibition games, so throw everything out the window by the time these two teams play.

Reaction Score
Ehh, I would give the edge to SC. I dont think they will start Cardoso. They used her in the same way UConn used Dorka. She subbed for Boston, and had a few minutes where they played together. Of course these were all exhibition games, so throw everything out the window by the time these two teams play.
So far, they have played very few minutes together. Dawn learned her lesson when she tried to start both Coates and Wilson.

Reaction Score
And Sunny Liston will beat Ali. Let it play out “experts” please! Dewey defeats Truman. I guess some never learn.

Reaction Score
Apparently South Carolina also played an exhibition game against a D2 school recently, but I have not seen it. But now that we have seen the UConn post players in action, and since we have seen their Gamecock counterparts in games against UConn last year (including Cardoso when she played for Syracuse), the question arises as to which set of post players has the advantage.

I think I would honestly be inclined to give the edge to South Carolina, mainly because UConn has no one who is a real matchup for Aliyah Boston. But the advantage is not clearcut. If the SC starters are Boston and Cardoso (as I would expect), then I have to think that Boston would play away from the basket and would be taking shots from 10 to 15 feet. Unlike UConn's posts other than Dorka, Boston can hit those shots at a good percentage, so this would be a real threat in conjunction with Cardoso in the low post. I am not sure how good a passer Boston or any of their other posts are, however -- I suspect that this has not received a lot of attention in South Carolina's offensive planning. So if UConn can make the passes difficult (both from the guards to the post and from the high post to the low post), that could make the Gamecocks' offense grind and falter.

I do think that the UConn post players can rebound as well or better than the SC bigs, so I don't think SC would score an inordinate number of second-chance points. But on the other hand, I think UConn post players are more prone to foul trouble than the SC players -- and that could be a big problem when the two teams play.

I think UConn will have a clear advantage on the perimeter, and will shoot from the perimeter with much better efficiency than SC. It's just a question of whether UConn's defense can force the guards to take shots, i.e., deny or greatly impair their ability to feed the post.

I'm focusing on South Carolina rather than Stanford or any other team (such as Maryland) both because there is a good chance that UConn and SC will play twice during the regular season, and because the SC players are familiar to UConn fans who watched the games in the last two years. South Carolina won two years ago by nearly 20 points, and lost to UConn last year in overtime. Before that, UConn won all the previous contests quite handily. So something seemed to change when Aaliyah Boston arrived in Columbia. UConn has had more trouble dealing with her than with A'ja Wilson or any other post player that they have had. That will most likely continue in the current year.

On a related point, does anyone know why Laeticia Amihere played ahead of Aaliyah Edwards on the Canadian National team? Based on what I have observed of their productivity on their college teams, Edwards has appeared to me to be more productive. So why didn't the Canadian coaches see it that way?
From my observation watching Amihere and Edwards play together, Amihere is better at putting the ball on the floor in the half court and creating her own shot. Edwards on the other hand needs better guard play to put her in position to score. Canada guards were all about getting their own shot so Edwards was less effective.

Reaction Score

SC was number 2 in the nation( Duke only played 4 games) in rebound margin at 14.4 a game. SC out rebounded UConn by 13 last year without Cardosa. Brea Beal(10) and Saxton(8) had more rebounds than Edwards and Nelson-Ododa. I don't see how you think UConn post players can rebound better than SC post players. I guess it can happen but the evidence say otherwise.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So far, they have played very few minutes together. Dawn learned her lesson when she tried to start both Coates and Wilson.

What lesson? Coates was a sophomore when Wilson was a freshman: that season neither were starters, but both came off the bench together as a tandem to replace starters Ibiam and Welch at the 5 and 4 all season long. Then from 2015-16 through 2016-17 Staley "tried" as you say, to start them together at the 5 and 4 until Coates was lost at the end of her senior season with a foot injury. Staley "tried" to play them together for some 109 games over three seasons?

So you're saying the lesson Staley learned, was to get Coates injured so she couldn't play alongside Wilson anymore??? That's the only thing that separated them, beyond Wilson not graduating from high school yet, and Coates graduating from college........

Also, when you say "so far", you're referring to the current duration of the 2021-22 season, which at this point consists of just one (1) exhibition game....

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
SC was number 2 in the nation( Duke only played 4 games) in rebound margin at 14.4 a game. SC out rebounded UConn by 13 last year without Cardosa. Brea Beal(10) and Saxton(8) had more rebounds than Edwards and Nelson-Ododa. I don't see how you think UConn post players can rebound better than SC post players. I guess it can happen but the evidence say otherwise.
Now that we have more Post depth, our guys can go after the ball with a little extra SEC like abandon. And with our 3pt game improved, some of the SC Posts will have to play a little farther out. SC may win the boards but I doubt we will out rebounded by 13.

Reaction Score
From my observation watching Amihere and Edwards play together, Amihere is better at putting the ball on the floor in the half court and creating her own shot. Edwards on the other hand needs better guard play to put her in position to score. Canada guards were all about getting their own shot so Edwards was less effective.

This. During the Americup, Amihere was able to dribble-drive the ball up the length of the floor and score before the opponent could set up their defenses. Edwards was more the typical post that needs to get into post position, establish the post, and wait for a pass to her, or at least get to the sides of the key, take the pass, and then dribble-drive from that spot to the basket. The Canadian team guards were not feeding the post players very much: Amihere was more able to create her own shots, while Edwards got sort of forgotten.

During the Olympics, the established veteran stars joined the national team, and both Amihere and Edwards got pushed down the line.....

Reaction Score

Box Score - Exhibition

South Carolina 98 Benedict 41

PlayerFG3PTFTREBPTS
04 Boston,Aliyah5-90-02-2712
12 Beal,Brea3-52-30-198
02 Russell,Eniya3-50-12-248
03Henderson,Destanni2-90-40-024
05 Saxton,Victaria1-60-00-062
10 Cardoso,Kamilla8-90-02-21318
15 Amihere,Laeticia6-100-00-0512
44 Rivers,Saniya5-111-40-0211
25 Johnson,Raven3-52-20-018
11 Littleton,Destiny2-51-30-025
20 Feagin,Sania2-30-00-004
23 Hall,Bree1-40-21-433
00 Thompson,Olivia1-21-20-013
32 Wesolek,Elysa0-00-00-020
TM TEAM0-00-00-070
TOTALS42-837-217-116498

Reaction Score
Predict that Geno will utilize the two bigs he now is likely to have in at all times to set more picks than we have seen the Dolson years. UConn will win based on the Huskie bigs playing complementary basketball, not SC's need to have Boston dominate.

Reaction Score
I think I have to give the edge to SC. I would probably substitute a healthy Aubrey for Caroline since she is more 4 than 3 and Caroline is just the opposite.

Amihere being ahead of Aaliyah on the Canadian team was a disappointment. I found that surprising whatever the reason was.

The "super teams" heading into this season, namely teams that were in the Final Four, lost very little, and added much, are all looking to be significantly better, and all have an amazing crop of bigs. We went a while without a true backup center, and played wings at the 4 before Aaliyah. Now we are loaded with talented true bigs, and yet the other teams at the very top are similarly endowed. We can hope to play them close upfront, and beat them with our backcourt.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bingo! SC won their one and only national championship with Coates injured, which opened up the lane for the slashing drives of Gray & Davis.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I concede that in a 3x3 game the SoCar foursome would win more often. But my focus is on winning the game. Last year the teams were so very close that it is almost ridiculous to argue which was better. This year both teams improved and got deeper. Did one team improve more?

1) Freshmen -- Premier Basketball says the SoCar freshmen are better than UConn. Blue Star claims the Uconn freshmen are better. So to me, that is a wash.

2) Transfers -- Cardoso vs Juhaz Cordoso averaged 13.6/8 in the ACC Juhaz averaged 14.6 / 11. Better in a tougher league. Cardoso was All Freshman and DPOY. Juhaz was 1st team All B1G two consecutive years.

SoCar was very strong in post scoring and rebounding and added to its strength. Whereas UConn was significantly weaker in post scoring and rebounding and added significantly to its post play.. I give the edge to UConn for improving the area of greatest need.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
all due respect to Coates, Cardoso is a much much tougher player with a higher ceiling.
I agree that Cardoso has a much greater upside than Coates, but the challenge is basically the same. Can SC effectively play 2 or more Bigs at the same time, particularly against a team like UConn or Stanford that can spread the floor with 4 or more shooters.

Reaction Score

do you really think they would start both of them together? I hadn't considered that.......It might be tough on the offensive end but UConn would simply run them into the ground if they could control the boards at their end.......

Reaction Score
I think the angle we look at the South Carolina matchup isn’t how we should. We don’t have to be better than them in the post we just have to neutralize or break even. I think our guard play and spacing is more vital to us winning the matchup which is why we won the game last season albeit close due to our shooting not being a strength. I think that the biggest difference is that this year we’re going to be vastly improved beyond the 3pt line. Think in the past about how we beat those A’ja Wilson South Carolina teams handily, spacing and hitting threes with consistent weapons something we have this season outside of just Paige.

Reaction Score
Bingo! SC won their one and only national championship with Coates injured, which opened up the lane for the slashing drives of Gray & Davis.
as I remember with Coates down low the lane seemed to be clogged much of the time........as soon as she was off the court their offensive flow was far better......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom