LIU Recap - Net Plays & Key | The Boneyard

LIU Recap - Net Plays & Key

Reaction Score
Took my time getting this done because I knew it was a long week and I'd need something to tide me over towards the end of the week. Mega cupcake, so I'll keep it pretty brief. Whoo Clingan. Team shot almost 80% from 2 in this game and 44% from 3.

Check here for a summary of how I'm charting the plays.

Newton (18/7, +11) - Passing was excellent early. He had like 7 "should be" assists in the first 11 minutes. Quieter on offense in 2nd half as Jackson did more, but got his hands on the ball on defense a few times in the 2nd half.
Hawkins (22/5, +17) - Another very good game from Hawkins. 3 straight games of +14 or better. Shooting, defense, and passing all strong. Becoming less one dimensional as he gets comfortable.
Jackson (26/2, +24) - Had him down for 10 "should be" assists in the 2nd half alone. Having both Karaban and Jackson able to put in the middle of the zone is lethal for opponents. LIU had to being short-handed to save energy and prevent foul trouble, but it's a recipe for disaster. I think I'm transitioning my comp of Jackson to better defender/athlete but worse shooting Lonzo Ball. Around the same height, great vision, decisive when they get the ball, funky shot.
Karaban (19/5, +14) - Couldn't miss early, active on D also. 2nd half he missed a couple 3s, but hit the boards strong and had some nice cuts.
Sanogo (18/4, +14) - Dominated a 3 minute stretch in last 10 min of 1st half with a few nice post position layups and 2 coast to coast drives. Also want to call out his passing, which was really excellent today. Had 4 hockey + regular assists, which might've been more than he had all last season. A few bad hands and other turnovers. They were moving him away from basket to clear space for guards to go 1v1 in post (ala Villanova), so wasn't as active on boards or protecting the rim. They had some success with this, so Hurley will want to put some extra practice for our
Diarra (9/4, +5) - Solid backup game. Caused some havoc on D, kicked out to some shooters, lost a couple unforced turnovers.
Alleyne (13/5, +8) - Alleyne's 2 best games back to back since Buffalo in game 3. Made his first 3 in 6 games (and then another). Definitely seemed more comfortable offensively with a larger workload and working himself into the game in the 2nd half. Not sure he's the microwave type (or maybe he is but the time when he starts cooking is random). His highest pos total this season, and would've had a better game but was responsible for a few turnovers.
Calcaterra (10/4, +6) - His most 3pt attempts all season and made 50%. Still has that chemistry with Clingan; 2nd most assists all year, too.
Clingan (25/0, +25 MVP) - Perfect game. 10/10 from the floor. Had him down with at least 6 dunks. 4 offensive rebounds. No turnovers, no fouls. Credited 2 blocks, but he altered and contested a few more misses. First game I charted that a player had more than 10 pos and no neg. If a stat site is to be believed, we scored on 88% of the possessions he was on the court.
Springs (2/0, +2) - Had a nice unselfish kick out for 3 in deep garbage time and was on the receiving end of a dish for a dunk.

Non-conference Cumulative "Net plays" (Hawkins played 9 games and Jackson 8, the rest 11).
PlayerCumulative PosCumulative NegCumulative Net Plays
Newton20971138
Hawkins1285078
Jackson16245117
Karaban1526191
Sanogo22966163
Diarra914942
Alleyne905139
Calcaterra1014259
Johnson440
Clingan18649137
Springs1165

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Was it only 6 dunks? Felt like more. I was looking away for a minute and looked back just in time for the Richie dunk which made me smile of course. Lot of fun stuff in this game - the Andre steal & around the back dunk? Oh, yeah.

I'm glad that Hurley used this game to try some different things once it was clear there was no way LIU could keep up. There was a play where Adama and Alex swapped spots and Adama dished to Alex in the paint for example, Andre going for a few more baskets, etc. Hopefully that was the spark Alleyne needed to get going offensively too.

Can't wait for BE play, if folks thought games have been physical so far... strap in!

Thanks as always for putting this together, much appreciated. If we ever meet the first drink is definitely on me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24
Top Bottom