Literary Comparisons? | The Boneyard

Literary Comparisons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Since we've now this realignment plot has reached full tension , I was trying to come up with a relevant literary reference. As I am not an english lit major, the best I could do was, Lord of the Flies. Can anyone else think of something?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Any book on history where the strong control and dictate and the lessers scramble to grovel, beg, and survive. And you create quasi controlling bodies like the NCAA playing the role of the UN.

Reaction Score
Kafka's story "Community" is the most appropriate (I posted this on the other board and was, well, questioned). I'm taking liberties with changing the numbers referred to:

We are 14 friends, one day we came out of a house one after the other, first one came and placed himself beside the gate, then the second came and placed himself near the first one, then came the third, then the fourth, then the fifth, etc. Finally we all stood in a row. People began to notice us, they pointed at us and said: Those 14 just came out of that house. Since then we have been living together, it would be a peaceful life if it weren't for a 15th one continually trying to interfere. He doesn't do us any harm, but he annoys us, and that is harm enough; why does he intrude when he is not wanted? We don't know him and don't want him to join us. There was a time, of course, when the 14 of us did not know one another, either, and it could be said that we still don't know one another, but what is possible and can be tolerated by the 14 of us is not possible and cannot be tolerated with this 15th one. In any case, we are 14 and don't want to be 15. And what is the point of this continual being together anyhow? It is also pointless for the 14 of us, but here we are together and will remain together; a new combination, however, we do not want, just because of our experiences. But how is one to make all this clear to the 15th one? Long explanations would almost amount to accepting him in our circle, so we prefer not to explain and not to accept him. No matter how he pouts his lips we push him with our elbows, but however much we push him away, back he comes.

I would add this line to Kafka's story: "If, however, the 15th one's gorgeous older sister were to agree to join us, surely we would find room for a 16th to keep the harmony."

Reaction Score
Oedipus Rex---- We slept with our mother when we tried to sue the ACC and killed our father when we bad mouthed BC. Because, as of today, Flipper is yo daddy!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Anything with this much backstabbing, intrigue and so many people putting on false faces to win favor must be King Lear.

Reaction Score
The Conference Realignment to me is just like a story I know called "The Puppy Who Lost His Way." The NCAA was changing, and the puppy was getting... bigger...

...So, you see, the puppy was like the NCAA. In that, they were both lost in the woods. And nobody, especially the little boy - "ESPN" - knew where to find 'em. Except that the puppy was a dog. But the Conference Realignment, my friends, that was a revolution.

UConn Football Rules!

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Brave New World

The non-BCS are the savages. Playing football for the sport of it hoping to earn a little expense money. They read "Brian's Song" and get all weepy and romantic

The BCS conferences are divided into competitive groups in the Brave New World. SEC players listen to recordings during their 12-credit Sports Conditioning class

from one observer:

>>At the end of the room a loud speaker projected from the wall. Commissioner Slive walked up to it and pressed a switch.
"… all wear green," said a soft but very distinct voice, beginning in the middle of a sentence, "and ACC players wear khaki. Oh no, I don't want to ball with ACC players. And Big East players are still worse. They're too stupid to be able to read or write. Besides they wear black, which is such a beastly colour. I'm so glad I'm in the SEC
."
There was a pause; then the voice began again.
"BiG players wear grey. They work much harder than we do, because they're so frightfully clever. I'm really awfully glad I'm in the SEC, because I don't work so hard. And then we are much better than the B12 and ACC. B12 players are stupid. They all wear green, and ACC players wear khaki. Oh no, I don't want to ball with ACC players. And Big East players are still worse. They're too stupid to be able …"

The Director pushed back the switch. The voice was silent. Only its thin ghost continued to mutter from beneath the eighty pillows.

"They'll have that repeated in their helmets, headsets, and pillow forty or fifty times more before they wake; then again all day and night on Thursday, and again on Saturday. A hundred and twenty times an hour, seven days a week for thirty months. After which they go on to a less advanced lesson."

Reaction Score
Atlas Shrugged:

"He was a man who had never accepted the creed that others had the right to stop him."

Reaction Score
It was the best of times (BCS bowl, Men's BB NC, Andre Drummond), it was the worst of times (Conference realignment)...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times......

Reaction Score
Since we've now this realignment plot has reached full tension , I was trying to come up with a relevant literary reference. As I am not an english lit major, the best I could do was, Lord of the Flies. Can anyone else think of something?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Comedy of Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member