Link Puerto Rico vs USA Pan Am Games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Link Puerto Rico vs USA Pan Am Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Final: USA 93 Puerto Rico 77

Game was much tighter than final score may suggest. Even on an average night USA is a tough team to beat. They'll continue to be a tough team with Coates dominating the paint, versatile forwards like Stewart and Reimer all over the court and hard nosed guards like Jefferson and Walker-Kimbrough outrunning everybody.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Still think USA wins if Cortijio does not get injured, but definitely much closer game. USA wins 93-77

USA has the easier semi-final game playing Cuba. Canada vs Brazil will be a tough game.

USA Starters may not have to play as many minutes against Cuba that they did against Puerto Rico.

USA vs Cuba game is scheduled for 1:30. Short turn around time for Team USA> Have to know USA got the 9 PM Start every day because of ESPN. Otherwise it would make sense for home team Canada to get the late start for fan attendance.

Reaction Score
Still think USA wins if Cortijio does not get injured, but definitely much closer game. USA wins 93-77

USA has the easier semi-final game playing Cuba. Canada vs Brazil will be a tough game.

USA Starters may not have to play as many minutes against Cuba that they did against Puerto Rico.

USA vs Cuba game is scheduled for 1:30. Short turn around time for Team USA> Have to know USA got the 9 PM Start every day because of ESPN. Otherwise it would make sense for home team Canada to get the late start for fan attendance.

You must be a lot younger than I am to think that more fans would come to a game starting at nine than one starting at six.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Don't count on it - the drop off after the starters is pretty drastic and Cuba is not a bad team.
During the third quarter I kept thinking about Geno's comment when he stopped a Uconn practice scrimmage - 'You have just played thirty minutes and Stewart hasn't touched the ball once on offense!'

Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum's ball handling makes me nervous.

1) Kelsey is head down, all left hand, all the time. Even on a layup attempt from right side she couldn't use her right hand, went left and got blocked.

2) Just crazy scheduling- 5 games in five days. Having players that average 5-10 years older (and stronger) than the USA is perhaps the one advantage every other team has over the USA. And our lack of a second ball handling playmaker.

3) I was really shocked how Cortijo-Sanchez abused Moriah on offense. Forget that Moriah has played so darn many minutes and had to be tired- Cortijo was outstanding. If she weren't 27 years old and ineligible, every US coach would be all over her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have to give Coates a lot of credit for keeping her cool. She was getting pummeled. Smaller teams tend to get away with murder down low. Didn't really appreciate Stewart getting elbows getting dug into her back on high screens either. PR played well and Cortijo was hitting everything (something she couldn't do at Texas) but if the refs called this game like they did the Brazil game I think the US could've been in big trouble. Loved Mo Jeff in this game. Cortijo hit a lot of tough shots but Mo Jeff kept the US perimeter game respectable. Plum is tough and I'm really impressed with her play coming off an ACL tear. Mavunga is so quick with her post moves and both her and Coates have great athleticism and quickness even with their size. Coates put on a clinic of how to keep the ball high.

I really do love Stewart's game though and was annoyed when they brought up dunking again. She makes a lot of plays without dunking that are ESPN Top 10 worthy. My dream Olympic started five (without focusing on what position they normally play) would be Taurasi, Moore, Stewart, EDD and Parker. :eek:

Reaction Score
Final: USA 93 Puerto Rico 77

Game was much tighter than final score may suggest. Even on an average night USA is a tough team to beat. They'll continue to be a tough team with Coates dominating the paint, versatile forwards like Stewart and Reimer all over the court and hard nosed guards like Jefferson and Walker-Kimbrough outrunning everybody.

Carla Cortijo gave the US guards all they could handle (including speed) and then some. She played a terrific game until she was injured mid 4Q. The game changed dramatically at that point. (It appears she has a history of knee problems).

Reaction Score
Just a familiarity thing. I think a key basketball skill is quickly adjusting to new teammates/new system
Nah, Coates is really good player, but catching the basketball is just an adventure with her at times. It's not her strongest skill. She doesn't have the giant Arsenio Hall hands like Stewart does.

Reaction Score
Nah, Coates is really good player, but catching the basketball is just an adventure with her at times. It's not her strongest skill. She doesn't have the giant Arsenio Hall hands like Stewart does.
Overall I was impressed with her. Beast down low - OR's & put backs, etc

Reaction Score
Is it just me or is it painfully obvious which U.S. Players have been receiving great coaching?

There appears to be a core group of players that needs to be in the game for there to be any offensive cohesion. Once a few of these players are substituted, the offense breaks down. I hope I am not being too hard on 19 and 20 year old girls who have never experienced this level of competition before.

I also hope Tara, Alaina, Breanna, and MoJeff get plenty of rest tonight.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I really do love Stewart's game though and was annoyed when they brought up dunking again. She makes a lot of plays without dunking that are ESPN Top 10 worthy. My dream Olympic started five (without focusing on what position they normally play) would be Taurasi, Moore, Stewart, EDD and Parker. :eek:

Yes i was annoyed over the dunking statements as well. Honestly every dunk a female has done (at least the one's ive seen) have been weak in my opinion. Unless they are throwing down dunks like this....

then they are better off just doing layups.

No... I cant dunk..... but Im not 6'4 and over either :cool:

HGN

Reaction Score
1) Kelsey is head down, all left hand, all the time. Even on a layup attempt from right side she couldn't use her right hand, went left and got blocked.

2) Just crazy scheduling- 5 games in five days. Having players that average 5-10 years older (and stronger) than the USA is perhaps the one advantage every other team has over the USA. And our lack of a second ball handling playmaker.

3) I was really shocked how Cortijo-Sanchez abused Moriah on offense. Forget that Moriah has played so darn many minutes and had to be tired- Cortijo was outstanding. If she weren't 27 years old and ineligible, every US coach would be all over her.
Huskies Rule, don't be shocked that Moriah , or any USA player , was abused by Cortijo , she is at least 6yrs older than any of our players.....And a seasoned pro. The one thing I noticed about our guards in that game is that they forced Cortijo to shoot jumpers from the outside. They did not let her drive to the basket. But Cortijo made was just making shots. Something that a pro is expected to do.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
The announcers have been pretty awful throughout.

Had to watch replay this morning bc I missed...just 5 minutes in and my favorite comment "when the ball goes into the hand of Brittany Stewart it's rarely a miss"

At least it came after a sweet steal from Mo and a nice dish to Stewie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc