OT: Lincoln the movie | The Boneyard

OT: Lincoln the movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Changing the subject here.......

Nice movie, highly recommend. Not a lot of action but made up in suspense, drama and great acting. Has to be considered for top movie. Best movie I've seen in some time.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Nice movie, highly recommend. Not a lot of action but made up in suspense, drama and great acting. Has to be considered for top movie. Best movie I've seen in some time.
thats what ive hear, that it is really good, but is it historically accurate?(not saying i know everything about it, just curious)

Reaction Score
Daniel Day Lewis is extraordinary in the title role. Has to be the strong favorite for Oscar. Word of warning - the movie is more about Lincoln's attempt to get the 13th amendment passed than about Lincoln himself or the war.

Another very good film - Silver Linings Playbook. Unexpected great performance by Bradley Cooper, best role in years for DeNiro, excellent cast.

Reaction Score
thats what ive hear, that it is really good, but is it historically accurate?(not saying i know everything about it, just curious)

It's based on the book Team of Rivals, and the author was a consultant. Spielberg took some minor artistic license, often when details weren't known (Spader's character was built from very little historical record) or for dramatic effect. Things like the way the final Congressional vote was called were altered, but that wouldn't upset a historian too terribly.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Daniel Day Lewis is extraordinary in the title role. Has to be the strong favorite for Oscar. Word of warning - the movie is more about Lincoln's attempt to get the 13th amendment passed than about Lincoln himself or the war.

It is a wonderful message to our current president and legislature: don't let the perfect become an enemy of the possible.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's based on the book Team of Rivals, and the author was a consultant. Spielberg took some minor artistic license, often when details weren't known (Spader's character was built from very little historical record) or for dramatic effect. Things like the way the final Congressional vote was called were altered, but that wouldn't upset a historian too terribly.
I'm impressed with your knowledge. Are you an historian? Or did you read about these licenses?

Reaction Score

Another very good film - Silver Linings Playbook. Unexpected great performance by Bradley Cooper, best role in years for DeNiro, excellent cast.

DDL is truly one of the great actors of our time.

Reaction Score
I'm impressed with your knowledge. Are you an historian? Or did you read about these licenses?
I saw Doris Kearns Goodwin at a reading for her book, and she was fascinating. Have read a lot of history, and caught up with some more after seeing the film. Also read some interviews, including one with Spader where he talks about Spielberg giving him the most creative license in the film with his character (his role was the only person in the film for whom there was no photographic record), basically telling Spader, "make it interesting."

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I saw Doris Kearns Goodwin at a reading for her book, and she was fascinating. Have read a lot of history, and caught up with some more after seeing the film. Also read some interviews, including one with Spader where he talks about Spielberg giving him the most creative license in the film with his character (his role was the only person in the film for whom there was no photographic record), basically telling Spader, "make it interesting."
Nice. My wife read Team of Rivals and recommended it to me. I hope to get to read it. I'm glad you thought DKG was fascinating. After some recent interviews (one with Colbert) my wife came away with the feeling DKG has and air of arrogance that she barely conceals. Just her 2 cents.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Nice. My wife read Team of Rivals and recommended it to me. I hope to get to read it. I'm glad you thought DKG was fascinating. After some recent interviews (one with Colbert) my wife came away with the feeling DKG has and air of arrogance that she barely conceals. Just her 2 cents.

Team of Rivals is a great book once you get past the introductory bios of the players (about 200 pages or at least it seemed like that.) Very interesting.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

She has the tinge of arrogance that comes with usually being the smartest person in the room. You should meet me someday.

I enjoyed Team of Rivals - it got me through a beach vacation with the in-laws a couple of years ago. Spoilers...she completely ignores the vampire-killing parts.

Lame.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I read "The Lincoln No One Knew" in surprisingly quick fashion. Since I am about to order books for Christmas I will add "Team of Rivals".

ctchamps

Reaction Score
She has the tinge of arrogance that comes with usually being the smartest person in the room. You should meet me someday.

I enjoyed Team of Rivals - it got me through a beach vacation with the in-laws a couple of years ago. Spoilers...she completely ignores the vampire-killing parts.

Lame.
Would anyone else be able to fit in the room!

Reaction Score

Started reading it last week and am almost through the book. Enjoyable read and am especially amazed at how Lincoln handled the various political factions that existed at the time as well as stroking all the egos in his cabinet. Planning on seeing the movie next week once I finish the book.

H

Husk-E

I tried to go watch it. I figured "who else would want to watch a stupid Lincoln movie?" I was wrong, apparently it must be good, wish I could have seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom