Limiting Explosive Play Passing & Addressing Breakdowns | The Boneyard

Limiting Explosive Play Passing & Addressing Breakdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks Bob Diaco can't coach is just wrong. He's clearly seeing everything, and adjusting in an intelligent and appropriate way. His risk tolerance may be different from yours, but the guy understands what is happening. I can see why the players like him.

If he understands coaching then fix the problems. Or . . . stop telling us that this one and that one are all terrific players.

Reaction Score
You cannot build a program in 3 years at UConn. Give the guy a chance to bring in his own players and coach em up! You need to look in 5 or 10 year periods to build a program, not 3.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If he understands coaching then fix the problems. Or . . . stop telling us that this one and that one are all terrific players.

You think it's that easy? His observation on Summers rings true, the guy covers well, then loses his man during extended plays. He's showing this to Jamar, but it will take time for him to internalize it. We should see improvement over time. NFL players don't correct those tendencies instantly, college kids can't be expected to.

The free safety position is manned by true freshmen. It has been a huge weakness, as those kids don't recognize the play early enough, and those corners who are supposed to get safety help over the top aren't getting it or it comes too late.

Obi is solid, but he has a different job. Have you seen us getting torched by TEs, backs or slot guys across the middle? I haven't. Deep and outside is killing us.

QB play is a problem, and I think Diaco is trying to impress upon BS what he wants from him. Making him watch Anderson may have helped. His comments on Ward were a message to Shirreffs. My overall impression of Shireffs is that he doesn't understand that two incomplete passes, and two completions are more valuable than four runs for 2-4 yards each. They'll force the defense to defend us down field, and open up space for Newsome and for our screen and draw game. When he runs every time there's a hint of pressure we become too easy to defend as a team.

Reaction Score
You cannot build a program in 3 years at UConn. Give the guy a chance to bring in his own players and coach em up! You need to look in 5 or 10 year periods to build a program, not 3.

I agree with you and I'm not calling for his head.
I have strongly supported BD from the beginning but I'm disappointed with what I see on the field especially the lack of aggression on defense.

Reaction Score
Put some pressure on QB will cut explosive plays. If guys on line are too slow to chase QB need to change that. No one can cover for 5 or 6 seconds. Having 8 back vs. 7 just doesn't matter most times, how often see an opponent receiver catch ball with 3 UConn player in the area yet none close enough to matter. Trying to protect safety makes him more vulnerable as playing off of receiver makes hard to defend and close on throws.
If put pressure on QB then he has to make plays and quickly, then coverage can get tighter, make other QB uncomfortable. Playing UConn is like a 7 on 7 exercise.
Houston made UConn blocker "guess" who was rushing QB, why doesn't UConn make opponent have to think. I'd love to be an offensive coordinator with UConn as my opponent. Houston stopped trying to score with a full 15 minutes left on the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom