Life in WNBA teaches Dallas Wings' Saniya Chong something she just wasn't going to learn in college | The Boneyard

Life in WNBA teaches Dallas Wings' Saniya Chong something she just wasn't going to learn in college

Reaction Score
Life in WNBA teaches Dallas Wings' Saniya Chong something she just wasn't going to learn in college | SportsDay

She spent the last four years being programmed at Connecticut that losing was not an option on the basketball court. Because it wasn't.

And in her first month with the Wings, Chong lost more games than she lost in four seasons at Connecticut.

Add it all up and Chong and her Huskies went 863 days between defeats. As an athlete, as a competitor, she forgot how to lose.

The irony now is that she has started her professional career where her college career ended -- in North Texas. Mississippi State upset Connecticut at the American Airlines Center. Two months later, Chong was plying her craft at College Park Center.

Williams also drafted Connecticut players in each of his previous two stints as a WNBA coach, Shea Ralph at the Utah Starzz in 2001 and Tiffany Hayes at the Atlanta Dream in 2012. Williams became sold on Chong after watching her and the Huskies play at SMU in 2016.

"I liked her willpower and relentlessness on defense," said Williams after a recent practice. "Even if someone was quicker than her, faster than her, she was always working the angles to get a tip, a steal or get into the passing lane to make a play. I just liked her demeanor. I thought if there was a chance to draft her, then we as a team are going to draft her and give her a shot."

"You need to bring your A-game each and every night. I love it."

Reaction Score
Well you all know how much I love Saniya- I think it's great that they gave her a chance to play in the "W". She's getting her minutes in the games and they should make the playoffs as long as Skylar keeps playing well and is healthy. I think Skylar is playing like one of the best guards in the WNBA right now. Not a bad player to learn from.

The WNBA is really fun to watch on All-Access!

PS: I'm going to see her play MINNY next month as well as Stewie and Kiah!

Reaction Score
Geno recruits winners---many of his Greats lost few or none while in AAU or HS--he specifically (at one time) targeted "winners" ---winners hate to lose--if you accept losing --Well!!!!!
Losing for Ms Chong, this early into her W career, has to be tough--4 years in Ct with 2 losses--how do you learn to lose??

Reaction Score
I have to admit that as much as I liked Saniya as a Husky -- and I did -- I did not see this pro career coming. Good for her. Hope she has many years of success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom