Liberty turnaround | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Liberty turnaround

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It might be a negative for some, but not for lots of kids from the Southeast.
That's what I said....some kids will like that atmosphere. But I also said the majority won't. Do you disagree with that?

Reaction Score
Someone tell Susan Herbst that Jesus does have a place in the huddle. We're focused on blocking religion, how about blocking Temple's defensive line!?

Some guys once wrote some document; about which people still rave. I think they mentioned something about a separation of church and state, but maybe Dr. Herbst was the only one who read it.

Reaction Score
That's what I said....some kids will like that atmosphere. But I also said the majority won't. Do you disagree with that?
If you go down South, religion and football are closely tied together in many communities. So, I don't think Liberty's religious affiliation will be a negative for most Southern kids where there are plenty of football recruits. It would probably be a negative for most kids from the Northeast. The bigger recruiting negative for Liberty is they are not in the ACC or SEC.

Pew Research has done studies on the most and least religious states.

Most Religious:
1) Alabama
1) Mississippi
3) Tennessee
4) Louisiana
5) Arkansas
6) South Carolina
7) West Virginia
8) Georgia
9) Oklahoma
10) North Carolina

Least Religious:
50) New Hampshire
50) Massachusetts
48) Vermont
48) Maine
47) Connecticut
44) Wisconsin
44) Washington
44) Alaska
43) NY
41) Colorado
41) Hawaii

To put it in perspective, in Alabama 73% pray daily and in Connecticut 47% pray daily.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If you go down South, religion and football are closely tied together in many communities. So, I don't think Liberty's religious affiliation will be a negative for most Southern kids where there are plenty of football recruits. It would probably be a negative for most kids from the Northeast. The bigger recruiting negative for Liberty is they are not in the ACC or SEC.

Pew Research has done studies on the most and least religious states.

Most Religious:
1) Alabama
1) Mississippi
3) Tennessee
4) Louisiana
5) Arkansas
6) South Carolina
7) West Virginia
8) Georgia
9) Oklahoma
10) North Carolina

Least Religious:
50) New Hampshire
50) Massachusetts
48) Vermont
48) Maine
47) Connecticut
44) Wisconsin
44) Washington
44) Alaska
43) NY
41) Colorado
41) Hawaii

To put it in perspective, in Alabama 73% pray daily and in Connecticut 47% pray daily.
Yeah. I know. I lived in Georgia for 24 years.

We will see what happens but I don't see Liberty being appealing to most kids. That's all I am saying. I am not saying ANY kids...but I do think more will be turned off by their rules than will embrace their rules. Schools like Clemson are plenty Christian for religious kids.

Reaction Score
Some guys once wrote some document; about which people still rave. I think they mentioned something about a separation of church and state, but maybe Dr. Herbst was the only one who read it.

Well, technically the first use of the phrase "separation of church and state" was in an 1802 Thomas Jefferson (he wrote a bit back in the day) letter to Danbury Baptists who were complaining about favorable treatment given by the state of Connecticut to another religious group. The Constitution guarantees the right to worship (or not) as one pleases and forbids the ESTABLISHMENT of an official national religion (a la many of the European countries of the day). Hence the term "establishment clause." While there were undoubtedly non (or casual) believers among the founding fathers, many (most?) probably agreed with John Adams, who wrote, "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." Agree or disagree, take it up with Mr. Adams, not me. As a Christian (does that confession get me kicked out of the Boneyard?), I like to see Christian Schools (like Liberty) do well, just as enjoying when Army (and the other service academies) do well, since my father was a 1945 graduate of West Point, and also attended UConn for three years before his appointment to the Point. :)

Reaction Score
Most Religious: 1) Alabama 1) Mississippi 3) Tennessee 4) Louisiana 5) Arkansas 6) South Carolina 7) West Virginia 8) Georgia 9) Oklahoma 10) North Carolina Least Religious: 50) New Hampshire 50) Massachusetts 48) Vermont 48) Maine 47) Connecticut 44) Wisconsin 44) Washington 44) Alaska 43) NY 41) Colorado 41) Hawaii To put it in perspective said:
based on this, and the current AP rankings, it would appear that Jesus is a college football fan.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I was making a joke, what is your point?

I believe you're trying to reference the Constitution? The actual text is "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion".
I'm pretty sure that a running backs coach talking about Jesus isn't a first amendment violation... lighten up, buddy.

Reaction Score

but if those guys were serious, they wouldn’t let us put “in God we trust” on our money. Which as we know is printed by the State.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The BYU of the East? Certainly not academically. Liberty is nothing more than a lousy for-profit diploma mill.
Liberty has an average ACT score of 24. Other schools with that score: Ohio University, WVU, Univ of Houston, Univ of Arizona.

Liberty is not elite, but it’s not a “diploma mill”. UConn had an average ACT score of 24 when I was there 35 years ago. We are now at 29.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
God, if he or she even exists, isn't a religion.

A religion, and there are thousands of them, is a system of belief. Religious beliefs vary widely, but one thing common to many of them is that adherents are incl;ined to think their religion is superior to all others. They can't all be right.

Reaction Score
Liberty has an average ACT score of 24. Other schools with that score: Ohio University, WVU, Univ of Houston, Univ of Arizona.

Liberty is not elite, but it’s not a “diploma mill”. UConn had an average ACT score of 24 when I was there 35 years ago. We are now at 29.

Liberty's on-line degree programs cater to a vastly larger population than its on-campus classroom programs. The on-line business is the diploma-mill part of the enterprise.

Reaction Score
Can anyone name another "university" whose presidency is handed down from father to son? Until Falwell Jr. got canned for his pecadillos, Liberty had all the hallmarks of a family enterprise seeking public legitimacy (and apparently gaining it at least among some UConn fans).

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Can anyone name another "university" whose presidency is handed down from father to son? Until Falwell Jr. got canned for his pecadillos, Liberty had all the hallmarks of a family enterprise seeking public legitimacy (and apparently gaining it at least among some UConn fans).
Liberty was founded less than 50 years ago. They have a nice 7,000+ acre campus (almost twice the size of UConn). The academics are slightly above average (I think an ACT average of 24 is top 50% for all college students). They’ve developed a decent FBS program. They’ve never been on probation. And it’s a Christian school.

It seems like a success story.

I have no connection to Liberty other than my son was recruited to a Juco for football by a Liberty grad.

Reaction Score
Liberty was founded less than 50 years ago. They have a nice 7,000+ acre campus (almost twice the size of UConn). The academics are slightly above average (I think an ACT average of 24 is top 50% for all college students). They’ve developed a decent FBS program. They’ve never been on probation. And it’s a Christian school.

I have no connection to Liberty other than my son was recruited to a Juco for football by a Liberty grad.

Sin and Scandal at Liberty University

Reaction Score

they also have an endowment of $1.6 Billion. Pretty impressive for a school that has been in existence for only 50 years.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
What the heck? Are you serious?

Might want to ask Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Khabib if that's true.
This issue involves some posts mocking a Christian school. And Muslims are just 1% of our population.

Apologies to Kareem if he’s reading this. I probably should have said “atheists and agnostics” instead of non-Christians.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger