Liberty @ Mercury - 7/09/17 | The Boneyard

Liberty @ Mercury - 7/09/17

Reaction Score
Tina v. Brit. A heavyweight fight.
Headed to the game now. Got tix low down in the corner, to see those two go at it under the basket.

upload_2017-7-9_13-23-39.png

Reaction Score
Not sure why Vaughn is guarding griner. With that said griner looks really good

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Robinson finally helping out for Mercury. 74-60. NY just 12 points in the 3rd.

Reaction Score
Not sure why Vaughn is guarding griner. With that said griner looks really good
In my opinion it makes sense, since then Tina can save her energy for offense, which NY desperately needs. Fighting with Griner all game must be tiring. Still, it hasn't worked.

Reaction Score
I don't know what is going on with the Liberty. They looked so good early in the season. Now they seem a bit lethargic.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
BG ate Stokes lunch according to the WNBA highlights

Reaction Score
BG ate Stokes lunch according to the WNBA highlights
For sure she did. Stokes couldn't guard her at all, and BG blocked some of Kiah's shots - once she blocked two in the same possession, very Stokes-like.

There was an hour+ jersey retirement ceremony for Penny Taylor after the game, which I hadn't been aware of. Decided to stay, as did the whole crowd, and was glad I did.

There were a lot of speakers, but DT was by far the best. Didn't use any notes, began her talk with, "God, I hate public speaking." Then she cracked everybody up for 5 minutes ("Penny is beautiful, classy, and was someone who always treated everyone with dignity and respect. I wasn't any of those things.").

Also, the GOAT argument was settled. In agreement with the results of the poll thread here, Penny said it was amazing to be married to the "greatest of all time."

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think our little girl has grown up. BG was absolutely dominate today in just about every facet of the game. And most of her shots were not layups...they were face-up jumpers and turn around jumpers. I am not sure that I have seen her play a better game in the WNBA with a complete performance of 31 point (13 - 17 on FG and 5-5 on FTs), 13 rebounds, 6 blocks and 2 assists.

Neither coach wanted their star post player getting into foul trouble so it's too bad we didn't get to see BG and Tina got at each other more.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Headed to the game now. Got tix low down in the corner, to see those two go at it under the basket.

View attachment 23386

BG has come a long way since that initial meeting with Charles. BG and Charles on the floor together is going to look amazing in 2020. BG, Charles and Fowles make one hell of a front court. And I see no signs that DT will be slowing down anytime soon. I know she discussed termination her play on her Russian team, which may help her keep her body ready for 2020.

Reaction Score
I think our little girl has grown up. BG was absolutely dominate today in just about every facet of the game. And most of her shots were not layups...they were face-up jumpers and turn around jumpers. I am not sure that I have seen her play a better game in the WNBA with a complete performance of 31 point (13 - 17 on FG and 5-5 on FTs), 13 rebounds, 6 blocks and 2 assists.

Neither coach wanted their star post player getting into foul trouble so it's too bad we didn't get to see BG and Tina got at each other more.
Ya BG shot great from mid-range tonight. She also has a sort of "half-hook" - turnaround semi-hook or one-handed jumper, whatever. Anyway it was impossible to defend tonight. I think the key was Vaughn getting in early foul trouble - and Laimbeer not matching Tina up on BG for some reason (same reason?). And mainly BG staying out of early foul trouble. When she can play unrestrained by fouls she is unstoppable.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Ya BG shot great from mid-range tonight. She also has a sort of "half-hook" - turnaround semi-hook or one-handed jumper, whatever. Anyway it was impossible to defend tonight. I think the key was Vaughn getting in early foul trouble - and Laimbeer not matching Tina up on BG for some reason (same reason?). And mainly BG staying out of early foul trouble. When she can play unrestrained by fouls she is unstoppable.

Foul trouble is her biggest challenge at this point. She and Tina looked like college players playing against junior high players. Come playoff time if they meet again we may see them go at each other. It will be hard to watch an opposing player score 30 points while your best defender is guarding someone who is not really an offensive threat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom