liberty bowl | The Boneyard

liberty bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
any 1 catch a peek at it yesterday? was lookin very nice now, they put a lot of work into it. memphis will rise quick just like lville and cincy did. those 3 relly belong together and prob will be one day soon in the acc. that city likes fball but its been a while since they have had it. they do well bowl games wise and they have a good mix of tenn/ark/lsu/bama/ole fans. i think just like bball the city will grab onto fball very quick becuase memphis isn't exactly florida or uva so the population is somewhat in tune with the average student. watch out for memphis to rise quick. hopefully we are watching from a different level...

Reaction Score
Of course they can thrive. Kansas St was worse years ago, got the right coach and took off. So can Memphis. And thy have Fred Smith of FedEx--their Phil Knight.

Reaction Score
Memphis is a hellhole. Louisville and Cincy are much better, you guys just think they are similar because they are urban and seem to be in the same general area.

Reaction Score
Of course they can thrive. Kansas St was worse years ago, got the right coach and took off. So can Memphis. And thy have Fred Smith of FedEx--their Phil Knight.

I wonder if there's a lesson in there for UConn?

Reaction Score
I wonder if there's a lesson in there for UConn?

We really can't follow the same path KSU did.

Snyder basically did three big things that shaped KSU going from being one of the worst Division I programs to being pretty good.

The scheduled mostly cupcakes out of conference. The joke used to be that he would schedule home and homes with the likes of Texas Southern. The whole point was to build a winning tradition and keep the team healthy for conference play.

UConn could do that. We would hurt our ticket sales and it probably would hurt perception. KSU has a captive audience, their fans will show to watch whoever they are playing...

Heavy reliance on JUCO recruits. We probably can't go there to the extent KSU did.

Good coaching. Yes this we definitely need to look into!

We could probably schedule one decent team and the rest cupcakes.

Reaction Score
The subject was whether Memphis could succeed as a program. All hellholes are capable of renewal. They need a big name coach to recruit some studs, but with the kind of support and the substantial private funding they can count on, there's no reason they can't.

Reaction Score
We really can't follow the same path KSU did.

Snyder basically did three big things that shaped KSU going from being one of the worst Division I programs to being pretty good.

The scheduled mostly cupcakes out of conference. The joke used to be that he would schedule home and homes with the likes of Texas Southern. The whole point was to build a winning tradition and keep the team healthy for conference play.

UConn could do that. We would hurt our ticket sales and it probably would hurt perception. KSU has a captive audience, their fans will show to watch whoever they are playing...

Heavy reliance on JUCO recruits. We probably can't go there to the extent KSU did.

Good coaching. Yes this we definitely need to look into!

We could probably schedule one decent team and the rest cupcakes.

UConn should do all of the above. Heavy reliance on JUCOs? If that's what it takes. We are talking about survival. Hell, UConn prospects in this move looked brighter back in 1999 than they do now. Survival. But, IMO, it starts with a coaching change.

Reaction Score
UConn should do all of the above. Heavy reliance on JUCOs? If that's what it takes. We are talking about survival. Hell, UConn prospects in this move looked brighter back in 1999 than they do now. Survival. But, IMO, it starts with a coaching change.

You're not a big picture guy are you?

If we scheduled two I-AAs and Sun Belt schools then our season ticket sales would plummet.

Reaction Score
You're not a big picture guy are you?

If we scheduled two I-AAs and Sun Belt schools then our season ticket sales would plummet.

Yeah, you're probably right. UConn is doing it the right way. . . .the right way if you are looking to end up in the sh--house.

Reaction Score
Yeah, you're probably right. UConn is doing it the right way. . . .the right way if you are looking to end up in the sh--house.

Stop acting like Waylon. I agree that we are on the wrong track. I just don't think that KSU's path is compatible with UConn as an institution and a fanbase

-Better Coaching-Check
-Weak Scheduling-Nope, fans won't tolerate this even though this may get forced onto us.
-JUCOs... Probably not a great idea for eastern schools. Not a big density of quality JUCO schools in the area, in the Big 12 country, they are prevalent.

Temple tried the JUCO route. They were so bad they got booted from the Big East.

Reaction Score
Stop acting like Waylon. I agree that we are on the wrong track. I just don't think that KSU's path is compatible with UConn as an institution and a fanbase

-Better Coaching-Check
-Weak Scheduling-Nope, fans won't tolerate this even though this may get forced onto us.
-JUCOs... Probably not a great idea for eastern schools. Not a big density of quality JUCO schools in the area, in the Big 12 country, they are prevalent.

Temple tried the JUCO route. They were so bad they got booted from the Big East.

Look I'm not a huge fan of the JUCO's but I am less of fan of the whole "eastern schools" mentality. This isn't the Ivy League. So if JUCO players will help then DO IT! Gotta do whatever it takes. Much prefer the SEC approach . . . . just get 'er done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom